The flashlight that might save your life (B.C.B FFLAM Torch)

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found out about these & ordered one for the collection (they are about 15$). I like professional Illumination tools, whether they are cheap or inexpensive.
This is not a comprehensive review (no, really).

This is a flashlight hopefully none of you will ever have to use. So far as I know these are still considered standard issue on many lifeboats and rafts.

This is a SOLAS certified torch made by BCB International (UK) mainly for use onboard lifeboats and life rafts on ships. These would be handed out in grab-bags amongst other equipment together with 2 C-cells, some paperwork and a spare bulb.

IMG_4457.jpg
IMG_4459.jpg
IMG_4468.jpg

The light is protected by a sealed bag & 3 plastic covers secured by rubber bands. Apart from the light itself, you get a spare PR2 bulb (p13.5s 2.4V) & a small guide to the morse alphabet. How thoughtful.

IMG_4462.jpg
IMG_4463.jpg
IMG_4467.jpg

Already pre-installed is a cool white PR2 LED module. The body is of a one-piece plastic construction and the whole light is rubber clad and quite grippy.
The bezel/reflector/bulb assembly unscrews to load the batteries or to replace the bulb. The lens is acrylic. A big rubber gasket keeps the light watertight.

IMG_4466.jpg
IMG_4465.jpg

For ON/OFF operation there is a mechanical reverse clicky on the tail end. A momentary-only side "switch" up front for morse signaling. The tail clicky is surprisingly pleasant to use (smooth, tactile). Both work well.

The incandescent bulb is about as bright as one can expect; same as a AA miniMAG, about 15 Lumens or so. The LED module is hardly brighter, perhaps around 20 Lumens. Beam pattern is also comparable to a AA miniMAG. I couldn't really take beam shots the camera wont capture it right, sorry. The brightness is certainly sufficient to find ones way around in dark places.

The overall construction of the light feels sufficiently rugged considering its intended purpose and cost & the rubber coating is well done. Everything is very simple, with no electronics to speak of, so there is little that can go wrong.

I wont argue about whether or not C-cell alkaline/carbon batteries are really the best for a survival light that is stored for long periods of time, or whether a 15 lumen incandescent bulb (or 20lm led) is really bright enough with to signal with. These units are purchased in large quantities & therefore have to be inexpressive to produce. It is what it is & it is better then nothing at all.

This light on their official website: https://www.bcbin.com/Catalogue/Pro...t-Accessories/FFLAM-TORCH-SOLAS-Approved-MM30

Take a good look folks, you'll hopefully never have to see one again.

Last edited:

hamhanded

Enlightened
So, mod plans??

Kidding. Thanks for sharing this with us, it was interesting to see.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool light. What kind of C cells did it come with?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
In an emergency, I'd rather have a Nitecore MH10 v.2 with a 5 amp battery (and spare cells, battery magazine, and diffuser) and a Nitecore NWE30 2000 lumen emergency electronic whistle (and spare 123a batteries). Lights like that are one of the reasons I always have decent lights with me.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool light. What kind of C cells did it come with?
This particular one did not have batteries included (even tho the listing said it did). But Ive seen them available with normal or "long shelf life C cells" included. Whatever that means. On some pictures online they show them coming with "greencell extra heavy duty" Cs. Carbon-zinc I believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: xxo

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This particular one did not have batteries included (even tho the listing said it did). But Ive seen them available with normal or "long shelf life C cells" included. Whatever that means. On some pictures online they show them coming with "greencell extra heavy duty" Cs. Carbon-zinc I believe.
Would be better if they used L91 enegerizer lithiums AA's in spacers for long term storage and better performance in the cold.

rayrevolver

Newly Enlightened
CPF rookie here. Just bought a jet ski and want to keep a flashlight in the medkit.

Any thoughts on something that will keep for a summer in a possible saltwater environment?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would go for something like a small emergency backup light from a dive light maker.
f.e. from Underwater Kinetics, for You to check and get an idea what type i mean.
(Theirs are very expensive, but i have nothing similar at hand quickly)
Totally plastic, twist switch, low output, small - say 1*aa battery ... and then put a long lasting Lithium battery into, if possible.
AS to that crap light of this thread
:(
There is soooooo much speaking against:
* In what way makes c cells any sense for that application? (apart from being smaller than when it would be D cells)
* what sense makes morsing??? In the unwanted case of really having to use it in the intended use, one DOES NOT MORSE ones problems! You are else found by someone who JUST SEES the light - or you possibly die.
* but noone will see that light, because that crap "kill you offer" gives you an extremely perfect wrapped light that seems perfect, but is effectively useless, because IT HAS NO BATTERIES INSIDE that package???

really, am i the only one that is shocked, that noone finds words like i just typed?
🤔

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
CPF rookie here. Just bought a jet ski and want to keep a flashlight in the medkit.

Any thoughts on something that will keep for a summer in a possible saltwater environment?

Dive rated 100', so you should be ok.

You can get it in clear so you can easily see if water has gotten inside. Be warned... the clear lets some glare come back toward you, lowering effectiveness.

1650472212759.png

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I understood BSB order page, survival flashlights come optional with or without batts..
Yes, that applies. The ones stored in lifeboats will have batteries included. They are described on the website as "long shelf life" Carbon zinc cells & I suppose one could use a AA lithium in an adapter. With a aftermarket LED module (such as the ones marketed for Mag-lites) these could reasonably be expected to put out 100-150 Lumens, but of cause would run direct drive.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool light. Especially for that price. Of course there are better lights out there folks. Doesn't mean this isn't good. 20L on a dark night. On water? You'd see this thing flashing for miles. Just as good at signalling as your 2000L overpowered light. Are C cells the best choice? No. A slight under-driven bulb on 1 or 2 cr123a or 2 L91 would be the better choice. And would increase the price probably by double.
Thank you Olumm for sharing this. Don't let the anti-bulb boys get to you. We know better!

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are a few issues I want to point out. First, on a jet ski providing first aid to yourself or others on the water you need your hands free. Start with a headlight. A Nitecore HA23 is okay and cheap (IPX67 waterproof, seems to work okay with lithiums, it's plastic, only $25). Store it in a zip lock bag so you don't get the headband wet and moldy. For emergencies, you may want a dive light or dive headlight. Something like a Princeton Tec Impact XL flashlight, League 420 flashlight, or Roam headlight would work. Not a lot of lithium compatible plastic dive lights unfortunately. I'd stick with Princeton Tec as they have platinum catalysts to get rid of built up hydrogen from bad NiMH batteries. This will let you use Eneloops safely in a sealed light if you want to avoid leaky alkaline batteries. Lastly for emergencies, I'd want a solar inflatable waterproof lantern. A Luci Lux lantern will do. If you get stuck out on the ocean, it will charge up from the sun during the day. It'll light up and float on the water at night. Lithium ion battery needs to be maintained within a year or so (put it in the sun every once in a while).
Also, Nitecore makes a 2000 lumen emergency beacon and electronic whistle. That's another good thing to have for emergencies on the water.

rayrevolver

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for the responses. I am going to order the headband light for sure and then maybe something higher powered as well.

Latest posts