The Little Monkey: a great new caving headlamp!

kevinm

Enlightened
Re: Awesome new caving headlamp: Little Monkey

It's on par with the Sten-light, price-wise. That written, I don't cave with a Sten. I use a modified Rayovac\River Rock; it's hard to be a caver AND broke. :candle:

There was a headlamp being machined by a CPF'er. I think it was $170 with no internals, and showed a lot of promise...

simples

Newly Enlightened

There was a headlamp being machined by a CPF'er. I think it was $170 with no internals, and showed a lot of promise...

Could somebody point me in the direction of this please. I can't find it and I'd like to take a look. Sorry.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened

Could somebody point me in the direction of this please. I can't find it and I'd like to take a look. Sorry.

Perhaps the headlamp you are thinking of is the servlight 2.0 or 3.0

www.serv-light.com

Koen is a great guy and will almost certainly help the buyer figure out how to construct the light to meet their own needs. I have one of his first 1.0 models (which is VERY different) and every communication I have had with him has been excellent!

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast

because of course everyone else uses lights the exact same way as you, and has the exact same needs as you do :whistle:

If I didn't know any better I'd say this is an alt for a certain someone on here that always likes to be confrontational. Complete with even the sarcastic whistling emoticon. It's pretty obvious.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I received my Little Monkey this week, and it is a very impressive piece. The design is no-nonsense and as simple as possible which leaves very little to go wrong. I'd say that it is brutally elegant in its design.

The very well machined aluminum battery case in particular is very impressive and should survive the bumps and scratches it will experience during its lifetime.

I have not had a chance to take it into an actual cave, but have compared it against my Serv-Light 1.0 in my large and very dark back lot, and it is almost as bright as the Serv-Light's highest setting (Serv has one P7 for flood and an MC-E for throw). Although it does not have the very floody beam of the Serv-Light, it has a good combination of throw and flood that many cavers will like.

It uses an optic which throws incredibly well, with a medium level of floody spill. My personal preference would have liked just a little bit more flood to the beam. However, that is just personal preference and the added throw will be great in the big borehole passages. A thin piece of diffusing film could add a bit more spill for those who desire it.

Although I do not have one to compare side by side, this lamp is certainly much brighter than the comparatively priced Sten-Light and has the added benefit of a machined battery housing which is not available for the Sten, making it an excellent value in the realm of high-end caving headlamps.

For those of us in the United States, we must order a power plug converter, as the UK version is 220V rather than 110V, but I was able to get one for $1 on ebay, so this is basically a non-issue.

Hope this mini-review helps any other cavers interested in a new high-end caving headlamp.

Last edited:

kevinm

Enlightened
I received my Little Monkey this week, and it is a very impressive piece. The design is no-nonsense and as simple as possible which leaves very little to go wrong. I'd say that it is brutally elegant in its design.

The very well machined aluminum battery case in particular is very impressive and should survive the bumps and scratches it will experience during its lifetime.

I have not had a chance to take it into an actual cave, but have compared it against my Serv-Light 1.0 in my large and very dark back lot, and it is almost as bright as the Serv-Light's highest setting (Serv has one P7 for flood and an MC-E for throw). Although it does not have the very floody beam of the Serv-Light, it has a good combination of throw and flood that many cavers will like.

It uses an optic which throws incredibly well, with a medium level of floody spill. My personal preference would have liked just a little bit more flood to the beam. However, that is just personal preference and the added throw will be great in the big borehole passages. A thin piece of diffusing film could add a bit more spill for those who desire it.

Although I do not have one to compare side by side, this lamp is certainly much brighter than the comparatively priced Sten-Light and has the added benefit of a machined battery housing which is not available for the Sten, making it an excellent value in the realm of high-end caving headlamps.

For those of us in the United States, we must order a power plug converter, as the UK version is 220V rather than 110V, but I was able to get one for $1 on ebay, so this is basically a non-issue.

Hope this mini-review helps any other cavers interested in a new high-end caving headlamp.

Pics, Yucca! Pics!!! Also, please include the Serv. My toys are not as good.:candle:

Hopefully this summer I will have a chance to build something a bit more impressive than my current caving headlamps.

Thanks,
Kevin

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
It uses an optic which throws incredibly well, with a medium level of floody spill. My personal preference would have liked just a little bit more flood to the beam.
This is also my impression. But people's tastes are different.

I prefer is much over the Stenlight (to compare it with a light of a similar class).

What I especially like is the 'fuel gauge'. Works better than other fuel gauges on other lights.

I got mine about a year ago and had it updated two months ago to the latest version. I lent it to a caver who is currently in Nepal and waiting for experiences.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the risk of going slightly OT, does anyone know what happened to Serv-light?

I saw one of their recent headsets - nice looking, pretty similar to the Little Monkey/General in appearance - being used by someone for cave diving, but the website seems to have disappeared, and the domain appears to be for sale, so I'm assuming they've stopped completely.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I have a serv-light but the only contact info I have is the same address shown on the site.

Thankfully I bought a bunch of replacement parts for mine in the past few months. . .

vtunderground

Enlightened
A new dive proof version called the Little General is now available! This will be a welcome addition for cavers wanting the ultimate in waterproofness

http://littlemonkeycaving.co.uk/LittleGeneral.aspx

I think the biggest difference (and advantage) of the Little General is that it works with a lower voltage range: 3.6-6.0 volts.

ALSO, does anyone know for sure what optics the Little Monkey uses? The website says the optic is Italian, so I'm assuming Khatod.

Last edited: