The longest throwing LED flashlight in the world (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well thanks to everyones support we now have to start a new thread as the original one was getting too big. Pricing and options in post #2.

The DEFT is, simply put, the longest throwing LED flashlight that money can buy. One of the things that makes it special is the ability to easily swap in new LEDs. All it takes is a couple minutes to swap them out. This makes the DEFT obsolete proof which in this day and age where LED technology is growing by leaps and bounds makes this feature very desirable. The DEFT features a carbon fiber bezel that protects the lens from damage and prevents loss of night vision due to internal back reflections that happen inside optics. The carbon fiber is also beautiful to behold. The ability to use easy to find AA batteries including rechargeable LSD NiMH is also a plus. There really is nothing else on the market that combines all these attributes into one beautiful package quite like the DEFT.

LuxLuthor's review

Patriot36's review

Here is what some of those who own the DEFT have said.

From Gene.
"It's just amazing how far this thing throws. I could almost hear the talk in town the next day about how some mysterious aliens had been projecting beams of powerful light all over the sky! :)......
My son who is visiting from out of state was blown away by the DEFT. He commented that if someone had another DEFT a couple of miles away, you could have a saber fight in the sky!"

From LuxLuthor "Suffice it to say that the DEFT BLEW the other two away. I don't just mean it was noticeably brighter than my best aspherics. I actually do mean that it blew them away."
"Here is my scientific 2 word summary: Holy Moly !!!..........
I found myself saying several times that this is almost like having a MaxaBeam in your pocket."

From Choppers
"1000% worth the wait...and with your attention to detail I understand why. EVERYONE will be completely satisfied and then some!!!!"

From ChrisDallas "
The throw on this sucker is sick, I mean it just goes forever.....My neighbor was playing with it for 15 min or so & he offered me $1000 for it, I would have sold it to him if I could replace it immediately but there's no way I'm parting with it, don't need the money :)"

Here are some of my favorite pictures.
leds141.jpg

leds150.jpg

leds163.jpg

leds182.jpg

leds379.jpg

Here's a few of my favorite things. Polished metal, carbon fiber, and leather.
leds397.jpg

leds245.jpg

This is from 703'/214 meters away.
leds012.jpg

Next up is the control from 1,261'/384 meters
leds013.jpg

and now the lighted tower at 1,261'

leds014.jpg

Next we have the control at 2,407'/733 meters

leds015.jpg

and the lighted tower at 2,407'

leds016.jpg

This is the DEFT W/ R2, smooth lens
leds086.jpg

R2 Diffused
leds087.jpg

OK. I want you to stop here and compare the picture just above and just below. Below you see the Tiablo A9. What stuck out to me is the dead space that lies mid-range down the beam, in between the spill(which is only good up close) and the spot . In the picture above you will notice how much more light is being thrown and over a larger area. This really helps give you a much better sense of what is going on down-beam.

Tiablo A9
leds088.jpg

5A DEFT Diffused
leds089.jpg

bezel047.jpg

The Raidfire is just to help you with scale.
leds409-1.jpg

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The longest throwing LED flashlight in the world(part 2)

Now for prices.

__________________________________________________ ______________
Standard features
DEFT Base price $275 (Includes carbon fiber bezel)
Smooth lens
Q5 WC emitter
1500mA regulated circuitry
__________________________________________________ ______________
Optional features:

These tints and bins are currently available and the first price listed is as a substitute for the standard Q5 WC. The second price is for an additional pill.
R2 WH emitter $5 *$45
Q2 5A emitter $6 *$46 (only have one left and probably will not be able to get more)
Q3 3A emitter $0 *$40
MC-E 320lm 6C tint(warm white)*$57 (5 in stock)
MC-E 370lm WG
*$59 (5 in stock)
MC-E 280lm 8A or B *$55 (4 in stock)
MC-E 430lm WH *$67 (2 in stock)
MC-E 370lm 4A *$59 (3 in stock)

denotes price of pill if buying additional pills and not as substitute for the Q5 WC

This will help you see the difference between the different tints on these LEDs.

R2 WH----------------- Q2 5A----------------- MCE 6C

saabluster

Extra lens with "built-in" diffuser. $30
This is not in place of stock smooth lens as all DEFTs come with the smooth lens.

It takes the beam from this...and turns it into this.
______

I made the diffused lens to broaden the usability of the light and to also allow use of the MC-E LEDs which would otherwise have artifacts in the beam due to the fact that the MC-Es are a multi-die package. With the diffuser in place the beam is buttery smooth. It is also very easy to switch from smooth to diffused or back again with the change taking about 30sec once you get the hang of it.

New option. Pelican case fitted for the DEFT. These are very nice cases and will protect your investment while also allowing you to carry the optional diffuser and extra batteries. The price is $37. There is no extra charge for shipping if ordered at the same time as the light.
__________________________________________________ _____________
Shipping
Shipping will be calculated using the USPS shipping calculator. Roughly it would be $10 to the US $20 to the rest of the world. If shipped outside of the US you will of course be responsible for any duties, excise taxes and handling fees charged by the carrier or customs. Insurance will be extra. Insurance is $5 extra and is totally worth the piece of mind that it will bring when buying a light of this caliber. I will not be responsible for lights lost in shipment. To those ordering outside the US I will be putting the real value of the light for customs. I will not knowingly lie. I hope you understand.
__________________________________________________ ________________
I make the spacer that fits behind the lens and it is impregnated with glow powder. I also use glow powder on the epoxy around the LED. If you do not want glow powder thats fine just let me know. I can use black plastic instead.

This light only comes with 2 o-rings from the factory. I throw those away and replace with new ones and add two more around the lens and bezel. The DEFT will run on alkaline, and energizer e2/Ultimate lithium AAs. The circuitry does work just fine with NiMH(1hr40min runtime on Duracell 2650mAh) as well but they do not fit very well in the body(update duracell/eneloop low self discharge fit fine). So at this time my recommendation is to run Energizer e2 lithium AAs. Run time with these is 2hrs in full regulation. After that it enters what you might call moon mode for several hours.

These lights are very labor intensive. Since it does take me a while to make them there will be a delay from when you show interest and when I can get it done. If you are interested but will not be visiting this site very often I suggest that you either make sure your e-mail address is up to date in your CPF contact info or PM me with it so I can contact you when your turn comes around.

Please do not PM me asking me to add you to the list. I will use your post in this thread to decide order. To get in line post that you are interested and if possible the options you would like. I accept payment with check but there will be a delay for it to clear. I prefer paypal and after confirming your order will send you an invoice when the time comes for me to build your light.

There is no warranty per se. But I will do everything I can to help resolve any issues that might arise. I'm a pretty reasonable person and will fix it if it was my mistake.
Please try to be reasonable when it comes to tints. There is only so much I can do. Also when picking your tint keep in mind that the tint , due to using an optic and being run at 1.5A, will be slightly bluer than you are used to with it in a reflector. If you have ever seen a bare X-RE's output you will notice that in the center of the beam it is a little more blue than to the edges. The optic catches the center portion of this beam.

If you have any questions let me know. Thank you, Michael

The List

1 Gene paid shipped
2 BMF paid shipped
3 LuxLuthor paid shipped
4 radu1976 paid shipped
5 Choppers paid shipped
6 Karlthev paid shipped
7 Aircraft800 paid shipped
8 zoran R2 , CF , + diffused lens, case paid shipped
9 Cowley paid shipped
10 Wolfstyle paid shipped
11 PhantomPhoton paid shipped
12 Tanasit R2, CF paid shipped
13 Daz CF, R2, diff, case, paid shipped
14 Chris Dallas case, R2, CF, Diff., to Canada paid shipped
15 Addictedmatt paid shipped
16 jefft diffused lens, case paid shipped
17 southpaw R2, CF, + diffused lens, case paid shipped
18 steed77 R2, CF paid shipped
19 darkpeak CF, R2, int. paid shipped
20 kit R2, CF, to Canada paid shipped
21 LuxLuthor paid
22 Kapak Q2 5A , diff. lens, CF, to Canada(insured), MC-E M bin WH ,delete glow powder, case paid shipped
23 Patriot36 R2, CF paid shipped
24 KHT R2, CF paid shipped
25 makapuu R2 paid
26 Punchinello R2 paid
27 looman R2, diff
28 Parker VH R2, diff paid
29 tx101 R2 paid

1 Lips
2 Choppers
3 HKJ R2, case, diff., MC-E? int. paid
4 Lunal Tic loaded
5 BenjiBot R2, case, int
6 sancho886
7 kabkbak7321 R2, case
8 Ratton R2, case
9 Gary123
10 makapuu
11 TITAN1833 case, int
12 torcher R2?
13 Cowley
14 Rinspeed R2
15 HanzoTheFlashlight R2, Diff., case, Blackout
16 mesa232323
17 BurkStar
18 resistance1 q5 wc, mce wh, case
19 JetskiMark
20 white light MC-E WH, R2, Diff
21 ironmang
22 Sampolainen R2, M bin MC-E, case, Int. shipping
23 KDK
24 tricker
25 paulsl R2, case, diff., MC-E M
26 Flea Bag case, R2WH, diff, International shipping
27 jaybee R2 WH, diff., case, Int. shipping.
28 300winmag case, Diff., R2 WH, international shipping
29 JohnTz R2, case
30 partizan
31 analogguy
32 markdurling R2 WH, case, int'l shipping mark.durling [at] tinyworld.co.uk
33 DTUB Q5, DOUGLAS.TUBBS [at] COMCAST.NET
34 zx5go "The works"
35 bngbuck R2, case, diff
36 ez78 R2 , case, international shipping
37 mendhammarsh R2, Case
38 crizyal Diff
39 Byrdlips
40 Whisper R2 WH international shipping with insurance
41 nfetterly R2 WH, MC-E 6C, Diff., insurance, case
42 PsychoBunny R2
43 HarborMaster Diff, MC-E WH, Case
44 jblackwood R2 WH, MC-E M WH, diff., case, insurance
45 zemmo R2 WH, diffuser, MC-E WH, Ins., case
46 Pontiaker R2
47 clone7
48 Photongun R2, int.
49 BUMBKLAATT
50 ehallspqr case
51 neoro R2, international, diffuser lens
52 Nitro R2 WH
53 d1dd1 Int.
54 dps R2
55 hornady708

Last edited:

BMF

Enlightened
Thanks for shipping the case! I hope it'll be here on time before my Haloween Camp this weekend started Friday night.

And you better hurry on "The Black Tie" project and ship the first one to me:D

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for shipping the case! I hope it'll be here on time before my Haloween Camp this weekend started Friday night.

And you better hurry on "The Black Tie" project and ship the first one to me:D
I'm working on it. I use my nights to work on the R+D for the next project and the day to work on the remaining DEFT orders.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
:eek: .... looks like I got on the list just in time :naughty:

Number 38, the last one :D

southpaw

Newly Enlightened
Glad I got in on this in time.

Please add the case to my order...might at well :)

Will you still be selling additional pills and such for these light?

Joel

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah ha. Thanks. I just followed over from the other thread and didn't go through the first posts, my bad. Guess you snooze you lose and I slept too long on this one. :ohgeez:

-LT

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad I got in on this in time.

Please add the case to my order...might at well :)

Will you still be selling additional pills and such for these light?

Joel
Yes I will still be supporting the DEFT with new pills and replacement lenses if you need it. But I will be transitioning my production over to the new project when I am done with this list. I don't know yet when I will return to the DEFT but it probably will not be before mid next year. We'll see.:shrug: I still have several months before I get through the list I have now and I will be using the time to intersperse development on the next project so that it will be ready when I get the list of DEFTs done.

I thought it was just 38 people had signed up not that there were only 38 spots. Are the host lights no longer available?

-LT
You are right Lunal. Just because you have a certain spot on the list does not mean that you will have a corresponding serial number. LuxLuthor and KarltheV both bought 2 at a time so the next serial number up is #9 even though Aircraft800 is #7 on the list. I am making myself one right now as well as I have not even had one of my own lights.:ohgeez: And just in case anyone asks I cannot add another one to your order even if you are already on the list. I really need to get to the other project as soon as possible. Like I said before I will be returning to the DEFT later and I have something up my sleeve for it when it returns. I had intended to have it available when I first offered the DEFT up for sale but considering how long development had taken up to that point and the fact that I had not been making money I needed to get something on the market.

BMF

Enlightened
The case came today just in time for Haloween Camp this weekend, thanks!

looman

Enlightened
Micheal - slight tweak to my order please - Deft in R2 with CF bezel and the clear AND diffused optics please. To be shipped within the US please - will let you know addy nearer the time.

Thanks Si

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Micheal - slight tweak to my order please - Deft in R2 with CF bezel and the clear AND diffused optics please. To be shipped within the US please - will let you know addy nearer the time.

Thanks Si
That is what I already had you down for. If you get the optional diffused optic you still get the smooth one. Its not really a DEFT without it.;)

Patriot

Flashaholic
ChrisDallas

if we wanted to custom fit the light with the P7 pill just curious if it would produce further throw than the pill that comes with it & I know it would cost more, I'd be fine with that.

Since the P7 is so large and has four distinct points of light it does rather poorly behind an aspheric. When placing them behind the 52mm aspherics they look terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.