The longest throwing LED flashlight in the world (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaptein america

Newly Enlightened
I've only been on this site for 12 hours. You are all crazy people and I can't stop reading. I just came here to research my first real flashlight. This thing is just short of an alien beacon. Maybe I will start with something just a bit smaller. q5 ..r2..I don;t even know what this stuff means yet.

Keep up the great work and enthusiasm

Parker VH

Enlightened
I've only been on this site for 12 hours. You are all crazy people and I can't stop reading. I just came here to research my first real flashlight. This thing is just short of an alien beacon. Maybe I will start with something just a bit smaller. q5 ..r2..I don;t even know what this stuff means yet.

You'd better forget you ever found this site or else hide your checkbook- now. It's way too addicting.:crackup:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well I see Gunner has pointed you in the right direction to start the learning process in your thread. For now the best thing is to just read away. It is overwhelming at first but you will get the hang of it. Welcome to CPF!

And if you were real smart you'd listen to Parker VH.:grin2:

kaptein america

Newly Enlightened
After another day of reading and researching major manufacturers, this DEFT seems like a real nice piece of work.
Especially after I saw some $2000+ HID in another thread.
I'll be keeping an eye over here.

300winmag

Enlightened
Any more lights ship out yet?
If I get my light before the new R3/MC-E comes out and I order the new parts from you would I just replace the LED drop in or would I have to take it all apart and replace the board/drivers, not sure how that all works. :wave:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any more lights ship out yet?
If I get my light before the new R3/MC-E comes out and I order the new parts from you would I just replace the LED drop in or would I have to take it all apart and replace the board/drivers, not sure how that all works. :wave:
No more lights have shipped yet. We are working to have 5-6 shipped out by Friday. I also am trying to get a bezel and new driver shipped for Glenn. It will be hard but that is the goal.
The LED pill and driver assemblies are separate. You can change one without having to change the other. I am going to try and get a video loaded up on youtube to help everyone get a better sense of how to change out the pill and lenses.

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
Michael,
I dont know what any of the options do aside from changing
tint. Do the different pills change the lumens?
I do at least know what a diffusing lens does!

I dont see a spec for length of the flashlight!?
Did I miss it?

I just ordered the base unit, but want to make sure I get the
highest possible lumens.
To get that, do I need to get any options?
Also, in terms of throw, how does it compare with the considerably
less expensive Eagle 8?

Hey Michael, maybe you could train some of your friends and
relatives and have a production line! LOL!! :grin2:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Michael,
I dont know what any of the options do aside from changing
tint. Do the different pills change the lumens?
I do at least know what a diffusing lens does!

I dont see a spec for length of the flashlight!?
Did I miss it?

I just ordered the base unit, but want to make sure I get the
highest possible lumens.
To get that, do I need to get any options?
Also, in terms of throw, how does it compare with the considerably
less expensive Eagle 8?

Hey Michael, maybe you could train some of your friends and
relatives and have a production line! LOL!! :grin2:
The R2 is the highest lumen single die LED that I have. Cree bins their LEDs very close so even though the R2 beats the Q5 for total output the difference is not really noticeable. The main thing is which tint you like better. The Q5 I have are a WC tint which is more of a blue tint. The R2 WH is the warmest of the cool white Crees. The Eagle 8W is an impressive piece and I plan on getting myself one as I really like their way of looking at flashlight construction. It really is not fair to the Eagle 8W to compare it to the DEFT though as they are in two different size classes. That said you would probably have to buy 6-7 of the Eagle 8Ws to equal the throw of the DEFT. It really isn't close at all.
The DEFT is 7 3/4" long which compares very favorably to the other thrower lights. It's the size of the head(3 3/16") that puts it in a different size class.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the DEFT and the 8W - and I can say that Michael is right in what he has said in comparison.
The 8W is the brightest light/thrower in its size of class - the DEFT is the brightest LED thrower period.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very excited and just had to tell everyone here. I have been working on a machine that will automate the polishing of the lenses for us. These lenses are a big time sucker since they have to be polished so finely and for so long. I just finished the first machine today. The first lens off the polisher came out better than any I have ever done myself. This made Mandy sooo happy as I have had her doing them for a while now and she hates it. This will now free her up to assemble more lights.:party: I'm sorry but don't expect any pictures. This is technology I would like to keep to myself.:D I still have one more of these to make. Then I start with my design of an automated sander. So much to do and so little time.

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
Hey Michael,

Thanks.
Still dont quite understand all these options!
What is a MC-E WH? is that a LED emitter?
You have like 400+Lm listed for it!

I prefer color temps under 6000K. Will the base unit still be OK?

I also want to have the max amount of lumens.

Since I dont know what to order to get all that, please advise,
and I will upgrade my order accordingly. Just tell me what to buy :whistle:

Also, how much wider is the beam when using the diffuser?
I cant tell much from your photos, but it looks alot wider!

This is way too complicated for a newbie like me! :eek:
Just make me a flashlight with the highest possible lumens, under
6000K color temp, and tell me what I owe. :D
I can PayPal you whatever you want, whenever you want! :thumbsup:

I hope I'm not being to much of a pest, but I really want to
understand this stuff :thinking:

Keep in mind, only a few months ago, I thought my Mag 2D was the
best flashlight in the world!! ;)

Thanks.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Michael,

Thanks.
Still dont quite understand all these options!
What is a MC-E WH? is that a LED emitter?
You have like 400+Lm listed for it!

I prefer color temps under 6000K. Will the base unit still be OK?

I also want to have the max amount of lumens.

Since I dont know what to order to get all that, please advise,
and I will upgrade my order accordingly. Just tell me what to buy :whistle:

Also, how much wider is the beam when using the diffuser?
I cant tell much from your photos, but it looks alot wider!

This is way too complicated for a newbie like me! :eek:
Just make me a flashlight with the highest possible lumens, under
6000K color temp, and tell me what I owe. :D
I can PayPal you whatever you want, whenever you want! :thumbsup:

I hope I'm not being to much of a pest, but I really want to
understand this stuff :thinking:

Keep in mind, only a few months ago, I thought my Mag 2D was the
best flashlight in the world!! ;)

Thanks.
If you are looking for the longest throwing and under 6000K you want the R2 WH(R2 being the lumen output and WH the tint bin). The MC-E LEDs have four of the dies that are in the XR-E(R2 and Q5) in one package. The beam is very different with the MC-E and although the output is higher it cannot be collimated as tightly so you end up with a broader beam that does not have as much throw. And don't worry you are not being a pest. I well remember my first days here. It was very overwhelming with all the strange terminology being thrown this way and that. The problem is the brain can only soak up so much at a time so don't get too frustrated with yourself.

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
If you are looking for the longest throwing and under 6000K you want the R2 WH(R2 being the lumen output and WH the tint bin). The MC-E LEDs have four of the dies that are in the XR-E(R2 and Q5) in one package. The beam is very different with the MC-E and although the output is higher it cannot be collimated as tightly so you end up with a broader beam that does not have as much throw. And don't worry you are not being a pest. I well remember my first days here. It was very overwhelming with all the strange terminology being thrown this way and that. The problem is the brain can only soak up so much at a time so don't get too frustrated with yourself.

OK, then please include the R2 WH with my order.
I'm sure if you were showing me this stuff in person, it would make
perfect sense, over the internet, it's confusing.
Thanks

jblackwood

Enlightened
Ok, I'd like to place my order for:

1 DEFT Base price $275 (Includes carbon fiber bezel)
Smooth lens
Q5 WC emitter
1500mA regulated circuitry
+
Please replace the stock Q5 emitter with:
R2 WH emitter $5
+
I'd also like an extra pill:
MC-E 430lm WH *$67
+
I'll use it with:
Extra lens with "built-in" diffuser. $30
+
and please pack it into the Pelican case fitted for the DEFT ($37)
+
Shipping insurance is $5 extra.

Now for the math:

275+5+67+30+37+5=$419 plus shipping, if I'm not mistaken. How did I do?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did I do?

Wonderfully. Thanks!

This is just a general announcement to let the relevant parties know their lights have not shipped yet.:sigh: I was not feeling well Friday and hardly got anything done. On top of that a friend called and needed help with his car. Unfortunately what needed to be done was beyond the training that I have given Mandy. I can't teach her everything lest I be out of a job.:)

Kapak

Newly Enlightened
This is just a general announcement to let the relevant parties know their lights have not shipped yet.:sigh: I was not feeling well Friday and hardly got anything done. On top of that a friend called and needed help with his car. Unfortunately what needed to be done was beyond the training that I have given Mandy. I can't teach her everything lest I be out of a job.:)

I don't think you actually need to justify the reason for a delay. We all know you still have other things to do(this doesn't include sleeping, this step should be skipped). We know you and Mandy do everything you can to make such a nice little monster!:D

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you actually need to justify the reason for a delay. We all know you still have other things to do(this doesn't include sleeping, this step should be skipped). We know you and Mandy do everything you can to make such a nice little monster!:D
Thanks for your understanding. I still feel bad though. But as you say we are doing all we can do to get these lights out. It certainly is not in our interests to do otherwise.

Does CF stand for Carbon-fiber? I thought the base price included the carbon-fiber bezel? Thanks.
You are very correct. I put it down as a habit. I just recently made it a non-option. You are very keen my dear sir.;)

jblackwood

Enlightened
Thanks. I just wanted to make sure this light comes to me ready to kill some darkness!!! I'm soooooooooo stoked. Waiting for one to be made certainly beats waiting for a light that's being shipped overseas. I'm still waiting for some things that I orered from someone over 3 weeks ago. I know the DEFT will take considerably longer, but I don't mind at all! Thanks again.:huh:

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
Wonderfully. Thanks!

Hey Michael, I hope you are feeling better. Dont work to hard and dont try
to burn the candle at both ends. Your body will rebel! :sick:

Here in Maryland, lots of folks are sick with what is being called a
3 week virus!!
Several folks at work have come down with this mysterious virus and
one lady has been out 4 weeks!!

Dont push yourself, it's not worth it, and we can wait.
When we finely do get our lights, it will have made the wait so much
sweeter! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.