The Mako Discussion Thread - A Titanium AAA Light

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
What will be the ideal battery for this light, energizer lithium AAA?

What will be the estimated lumens or runtime for the two levels?

$100 for a titanium AAA light sounds very affordable compared to what's out there.

Count me as very interested!

donn_

Flashaholic
I'm in, and trusting we won't have to engage in those annoying discussions about rechargeable batteries for this one. I'll just assume NiMH technology has progressed far enough to be able to be used in this light. It sounds like a perfect application for a low self-discharge cell like an Eneloop.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Everyone,

Here are a few pictures of the prototypes:

2762517531_8b755a6dc2.jpg

2762518425_e9aab7794a.jpg

2762520259_67967c52a6.jpg

2762521315_67e76beb6a.jpg

Based on the input so far there will likely be some changes made from the prototypes and some new renderings will be posted when those are finalized. :)

TheDay: Any AAA cell should run OK in the light, but, of course, different cells will run better than others. As a general rule of thumb Duracells are one of the best overall brands out there.

-Enrique

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: The Mako Discussion Thread

Very cool light, Enrique. How exactly is that lanyard attachment system going to work?

A general question to everyone: How many of you actually make use of the tritium slots in your lights? I've had some people request a clean back because they do not like tritium vials, but I think they're in the minority?
I've taken advantage of trit as locator in my lights. I'd say leave the groove as an option.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Geez, just when I thought my collection was good ... Nautilus, Ion, Aeon ... something is missing... sounds incomplete without Mako. Yes on the trit slot.

I'm in. PayPal is ready:thumbsup:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
This sounds great. As asked before, what would approximate lumens be for this setup?

Bill

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fantastic counter-top!!!

:p

Goatee checking in from the Smokies. Nice looking prototype! I like it better w/out the knurling.

MWClint

Enlightened
...the head is not at all difficult to grip and turn in my hands. The twisting action is smooth and secure...

:thumbsup:

this is an exciting little light. The prototype is a very clean design. hope it doesnt change much. Again, the differences between this light and most
others of similar form factor are refreshing. Stick to your guns.

Trit slot is a plus. One could always just fill with glow powder+epoxy if not into trits.

I'm digging the lanyard groove, full soft tied lanyard, no need for excess
metal hardware clanging around. The first place edc lights get scratched up
are around the split ring holes.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
would love a nice satin finish 1st, then a bead blasted. bead blasted doesnt hold up great over time, but does take on a nice look as it wears, and provides a bit of texture. but satin looks great and holds up great.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullzeyebill: I don't know what the lumens output would be at present; 5mm LEDs are rated in millicandela. I'll have an answer to that somewhere around the time when these get made.

The Tritium slot will probably be kept as an option to those who want it; if I didn't like tritium I would find it annoying to have to an empty slot at the back of my light that would never be used for anything, so I'll make some with, and some without. :)

Christoph: You can have absolutely any finish you'd like so long as it's the one offered. ;) I don't think I'll be doing any variations of the basic light that's offered, it just adds cost and is a logistical hassle to keep track of a bunch of variations.

-Enrique