The Malkoff Front Porch

tex.proud

Enlightened
Those crenelated bezels don't just look great, but very robust also.

The 16650 here was dropped from about 24ft atop a telephone pole (I used to work for the local telephone company), landed bezel down on the pavement, bounced into the street, hit by a car tossing it into the gutter on the other side of the road... The original aluminum bezel was bent into the lens cracking it. I picked it up and it didn't turn on. Later that evening I took a closer look to find that the protection circuit on the battery was smashed. Put in a new battery and it's been working since.

Replace the lens and upgraded to the SS bezel. Dropped in very similar circumstances several times since, and zero issues. You may be able to see scars on all 3 bezels here. I'm hard on my gear. That's why Malkoff is a favorite.

20240420_080212.jpg

Carry On!
20240420_080244.jpg

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those crenelated bezels don't just look great, but very robust also.

The 16650 here was dropped from about 24ft atop a telephone pole (I used to work for the local telephone company), landed bezel down on the pavement, bounced into the street, hit by a car tossing it into the gutter on the other side of the road... The original aluminum bezel was bent into the lens cracking it. I picked it up and it didn't turn on. Later that evening I took a closer look to find that the protection circuit on the battery was smashed. Put in a new battery and it's been working since.

Replace the lens and upgraded to the SS bezel. Dropped in very similar circumstances several times since, and zero issues. You may be able to see scars on all 3 bezels here. I'm hard on my gear. That's why Malkoff is a favorite.

View attachment 60845

Carry On!
View attachment 60846

ANSI impact rating.......Texas style! I gotta love it!! :)

I call that a 'PASS'!

- Ex-Tex (TI'er)

JP031716

Newly Enlightened
This picture really doesn't do this Wildcat 18650 justice with how nice it looks and feels in person. On top of that the neutral beam tint is spectacular.

Edit: Is there a big difference between this and the Hound Dog XT 18650 if you take the diffuser off?

IMG_0154.jpeg
IMG_0162.jpeg

Last edited:

boo5ted

Enlightened
I'm glad the 519a 5700k light I got coming in has this older style AA body. I like the newer one as well

I've had the older body and while I rather the look, it wears my pocket MUCH more than the new style. The smooth section of the body close to the head makes it easier to remove and insert in the pocket also.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
This picture really doesn't do this Wildcat 18650 justice with how nice it looks and feels in person. On top of that the neutral beam tint is spectacular.

Edit: Is there a big difference between this and the Hound Dog XT 18650 if you take the diffuser off?

View attachment 60928View attachment 60936
Huge difference. If you take the diffusers off both the XT throws about twice as far but with a more narrower beam. The wildcat with it off is more like a super HD but not quite as bright

md17

Newly Enlightened
How did you get it cut down? Did you buy it that way or cut it yourself? I've only found the wildcat/hound dog sized diffusers.
I got it on edc light builder's website. It's the same luminit material but he offers different sizes. $12 each. Worked really nice in cleaning up the hound dog beam also at the cost of some throw. But that's how it goes.

JP031716

Newly Enlightened
So I was rummaging through a random parts drawer and stumbled upon this creation. I used a clip from an Amsler Knives Hurricane Razor (from the movie Blade Runner 2047) which just so happened to match the clip hole pattern of the MDC series bodies. I did have to source another set screw from another MDC body I wasn't using for the top hole since it's a bit wider than the hole closer to the head but it's all secured and sits completely flush at the top maintaining tailstand capability.

I'm about a couple things; that I have a stainless clip (maybe Ti, idk, I'd have to double check) that matches the crenelated bezel, and I can switch heads without having to worry about the stock clip scuffing the outside of the head (at least one the 1CR123 body).

IMG_0225.jpeg
IMG_0226.jpeg
IMG_0227.jpeg
IMG_0228.jpeg
IMG_0233.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts