The new and LAST USL build update thread!

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Codeman,

Send me your USL and I will repair it. I don't think it's a battery issue. It's just that the charging connection to the light has been broken. I can fix it no problem. I'll PM you my addy.

Thanks, Jim, but I don't want my problem to delay anyone who is still waiting!

Please put me at the very bottom of your priority list, okay?

P.S. My USL hasn't been dropped nor banged into anything. It has sat doing a headtstand except when I've been using it. Gravity, and possibly insufficient silicone, is the likely reason the pack dropped. I don't know if the other USL's that Bill built could be prone to this, but it might be a good idea for folks to store them on their side.

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ray,

It won't take me but 30 minutes or so to fix this and the longer it sits around not getting a charge, the worse. So I can squeeze it in. I promise it won't delay anyone else, OK? Send it to me.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
plasmaman,

Your order will also go out on Monday. Shouldn't have forgotten about you even for an instant! You're #6.1 on the list for crying out loud.

Everyone,

I'm afraid that I'm going to just ignore the whole guarded vs. guardless issue. For starters, these complete USL's I'm sending out right now do have guards but the holes for the locking pin are on the wrong end of the guard relative to the switch position. i.e. if the switch were flipped or the guard were flipped we'd be OK, but as it is, a pin inserted into the guard would NOT stop activation at all.

I don't see the point in getting new guards machined and anodized. I'm going to make the rest of the lights (after these 9) guardless by putting a sealing o-ring around the base of the switch, between the switch lip and the light body. This will make a nice snug, and somewhat more splash proof joint there. The guards make assembling these lights just that much more tedious and difficult and I don't see the point in making Data or mac machine up and anodize a bunch more of these.

And on another front, there might be cosmetic imperfections in these lights. I'll do my best here, and try to get the reflectors and lenses perfectly clean, but if there's a small scratch on the light or the epoxy on the switch guards ran over just a touch, I'm just going to leave it. This will make my life a lot easier, and an ever so slightly imperfect USL is better than no USL at all.

The lights are shipping without a lamp installed, but with the can pre-positioned for focusing the 62138. When you get your USL, you'll need to unscrew the head and carefully insert a new lamp into the socket. Do not touch the glass with your fingers as the oil will cause it to explode when it gets up to temperature. Be as gentle as possible when inserting the lamps. The glass is quartz glass and is pretty tough, but you can and will fracture it if you apply too much force. It's difficult to insert the lamp into the socket, but not too difficult. Just keep gradually applying force, and maybe slightly rocking the lamp back and forth along the LONG axis of the pinch, and it will slide in. Next, ensure that the lamp is centered in the head by gently pushing it around with a cloth or with the plastic wrap it came in. When you reinstall the head and get it turned on a few threads, just look down from the top to double check that the lamp is going to clear the sides of the hole in the reflector. If it looks as if it will make contact, remove the head and readjust the lamp.

The screw the head down until the o-ring engages and a bit beyond that, and you'll be pretty close to the right focus and can adjust it by screwing the head down further, or backing it off some.

And remember to NEVER operate this light without the head and lens installed. DO NOT ever use "candle mode". If that lamp explodes you want something between you and your family and your living room, and it. This is a very cool flashlight, but IT IS NOT A TOY. Never allow children to use this thing unattended. The head and lens can and do get hot enough to cause mild burns. Always wait until things have cooled down before replacing a lamp. Also, if you turn this puppy on with a hot battery pack, you are more likely to blow the lamp--"blow" as in instaflash, not explode--so keep that in mind.

OK. Enough for now. I've put in my two hours today (and then some, I think), so I won't post a new thread yet or write up a detailed inventory. But it will happen at some point.

So, things are under way. Dynacolt and plasmaman's orders will ship out tomorrow, and I have an email sent to bobbo.

Things are better than bad, at any rate.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fat_Tony,

Don't worry about me. I'm just pissed that all this time all these people have been waiting. And waiting. And waiting. Bill could have handed this project off to me over a year ago. A year and a half ago, or more, in fact. But he didn't. And people suffered because of it. Thankfully I can do something now, and that makes me feel good. We are a community, of sorts, here, and we stick together and help each other out. It's just part of the deal. So, you're most welcome. I hope I can get this project finished before summer. Completely finished. That would be great. But whenever it happens, it WILL happen. I will work steadily on fixing this effing mess.

mst3k

Enlightened
Hey Jim. Just curious. Do we know how many people are still left on the list. I'm only curious as you have 50 Lights and I'm at number 63 on the list. Looks like the list goes out to 78 and some have multiple lights waiting, which would mean probably more than 80 total.

DaveNagy

Newly Enlightened
#39 checking in again. (No-guard list.)

I was on the list for a black one. No extras. I received my charger and power supply some years ago, so no worries there.

Frankly, don't worry about my light. I'm fine with being pushed down/off the list. I got "The Torch" quite a while ago, and my "ludicrously bright incandescent" itch has now been thoroughly scratched. I don't need two novelty lights of that type.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dyancolt,

Your order went out today via EMS.

plasmaman,

I decided to re-box your order. Who knew a flat rate priority box would be flat rate overseas and very expensive. If I pay $40 for shipping I want it to be for EMS! So, I put it in a plain box today and will ship it out tomorrow.

bobbo,

I will ship your order out tomorrow as well.

mst3k,

I'll check that and post back. I got an email from Bill (he saw my call but didn't get my message). I replied back asking him for info on who has and hasn't gotten their orders.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
plasmaman,

Your order went out today via USPS Priority mail international.

bobbo,

Your order went out today via USPS priority mail. The extra reflectors are dusty and will need to be cleaned with some compressed air, though. Sorry. I left my duster can at work last night. :( But I figured you could handle that part on your own.

Dynacolt,

I've always believed this--that the parts / tritons /powersupplies, etc. did and do exist, although I did have some doubts there for a bit. And I think it's still the case--assuming that Bill did in fact get around to ordering the Tritons (or Triton II's) before the general badness erupted in his life. If not, then he probably never did order them and they don't exist. I dunno. I told him in my email to him that he should start shipping out the tritons and power supplies, but who knows what will happen and when.

Everyone,

Some general news: I've been finishing off charging and cycling the bare packs as they were dangerously low in voltage. The rest of the completed lights are just fine in voltage, so the priority (long term) has got to be to save as many packs as possible. So far I have charged and cycled 13 packs, and all are healthy and viable. However, last night one of the packs vented during the process, so that's a bummer. Still, not bad, all in all. I have two more lights ready to go, one black, one pewter.

And it looks like if MikeF and KevinL have their USL's, which I'm pretty sure they do, then dmdrewitt and AuroraLite are next, assuming they don't mind getting black or pewter with guards.

In terms of helping out, if people want to pay me for shipping costs, I'd certainly appreciate it, BUT, it is entirely optional and no one should feel obliged to do so.

I'll be forming and cycling again tonight and that's about it. Kind of twinged my back at work while lugging around the laser tracker and I'm going to spend some horizontal time as a preventative measure. LOL.

That's the daily update.

Westy

Newly Enlightened
JS, your efforts are still way beyond what's reasonable or expected (and never owed)!

Sounds like you're around #34 on the list, would that put my #50 ~ 16 places away? Just curious, I've not followed all the who does and doesn't have theirs postings. Trying not to be excited I'll have it in time for the 2nd springs remote woods and heli work I wanted it for:) (PM sent to you few days back/no urgency on reply as I know it'll hit priority when my number comes close) Let me know your shipping costs and I'll certainly shoot it back at you via paypal including covering paypal fees. Cheers and thanks again. I can't conceive of the frustrations Bill feeds by simply not responding to simple charger/ps yes/no questions etc.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Westy,

Sounds about right, and thanks for the PM; much appreciated. I will reply to it.

plasmaman,

Thanks. The back twinge was just that, and seems to be fine now.

So, I've continued with the cycling and forming of the packs and lights and so far so good. Things got messed with last night, though, as there were multiple power outages, one of which lasted a couple hours. I'll continue to work tonight.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave,

I did indeed! Thank you SO much for covering that charge. I really appreciate it.

OK, so I have to work this weekend for one of the operators (I'm at work right now, in fact) and also have just gotten a new computer and am involved with setting it up and transferring things over (which has not at all affected my ability to get online or email, as both my laptop and the old desktop are still fully functional), and thus I haven't done much these past two days except to continue to cycle and form lights and packs.

Also, I've been waiting to hear from dmdrewitt and I just got a PM from him. He DID get his USL order from Bill already! So this is really great news!

AuroraLite has exceeded his PM quota and there is no email listed in his profile, and his last activity was in January 2007 . . . so, I will post off a letter to his UK address and we will skip him for now.

I have three lights waiting and ready, so I want to get them out the door ASAP.

Mark65 and jte are next, although jte entry is in red which may indicate it's "not used" or something? I've sent Mark65 an email and will PM jte right now.

DaveNagy is next after jte, so, Dave, do I have your current address? Please let me know. And yes, I remember you saying that you were in no hurry, but I'd just as soon go down the list methodically. So let me know.

revv11

Newly Enlightened
It is now a moot point as to whether or not Waites purchased the Tritons en masse since none came through to JS. My original order included a Triton & power supply. Just for the record, Waites shipped them to me per my request a few months after I purchased the USL.