The new and LAST USL build update thread!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys.

And no, I didn't necessarily want everyone who HAS received a USL to report. I'm just interested in finding out where we are on the list. Although, given what J_Oei just said, it sounds as if there isn't a clear line that will separate those who have from those who haven't gotten their USL's.

And, on another note, I'm not going to update the above list at this point, but the information people provide here will eventually be collected and recorded. Somehow.

I'm going to--I can't believe I am saying this--call Bill after the New Year, to see if . . . to see if ANYTHING, I guess. What a fiasco. And of course, it all would have to get pushed into 1st Q. 2009 when I will be most busy here at work. Go figure. Lovely.

revv11

Newly Enlightened
My name is not on the list but it should be. I purchased a spot from gessner17 on 12/30/2005. It was USL #71.

Dynacolt

Enlightened
I was #17 on the list, and haven't received mine.
I'm thinking some of those higher on the list haven't got theirs if they opted for the updated battery packs (or if they chose guardless), which would mean there is not a neat cut-off on the list between those who have got theirs and those awaiting.

Dave.

rdh226

Enlightened
I'm all for an impractical light. I mean, we all signed up for the USL, and that isn't a practical light by any means. It is the type of light that you show your friends and they go away shaking their heads thinking of how really sick you are!! Just think of the threads that have been posted about the USL: Fry eggs, light paper on fire, so bright the light needs a safety switch, etc.

I have lots of lights that have long runtime, or lights that I carry for EDC, or even lights that I use when I need a light or the power goes out. I also have a couple of the really outrageous lights (MaxBlaster, BarnBurner, etc). I think what we all want is a light just like the F1 cars are now; something that only hardcore fans would love and appreciate, something that pushes the envelope, beyond the razor's edge, something a little bit dangerous.

I have lots of lights that are evolutionary, as in, a bit better than the model that preceded it, maybe better battery, better emitter, etc. I want something revolutionary.
Apologies for not being more explicit.

100Wt MagBeasts Rock!

Everyone needs at least one! Ha!

Back to my point -- 100Wt is now a well-understood and mastered technology, it is no long bleeding-edge frickin'
ridiculous. Just frickin' ridiculous, kinda like a [car analogy] Dodge Viper or Ford GT (outta my price range), or
[gun analogy] Competitor .308 pistol (yeah, got one of those beasts -- http://www.competitor-pistol.com/).
There have been many top-quality and reliability 100Wt MagBeast limited-production runs, Mac's Torch
being just one example.

What I meant in my previous post was that if, as feared by js, the NiMH battery packs are now stale toast, then
<expletive deleted> the NiMH and lets try AW's new IMR 16340's for completing the USL run. One downside
would be having to further machine (tri-bore, probably shorten) the extant USL bodies, adding yet another stage
to an already-drawn out process.

Hmmm...thinking out loud...ya know, I betcha Chris' new CNC lathe could crank out a whole buncha re-machined
USL bodies in short order!

As I said, just a thought...wholeheartedly furthering the ideal of 100Wt MagBeasts.

Well, the whole rechargeable M6 thing, while unrequited, has left another bitter taste behind...
Do you mean my original M6-R project?
js -- my only "problem" with your M6-R project is that I missed it!

No, I was referring to AWR's M6 LiIon projects, which I have written off as bad investment, along with DSpeck's
last Firefly money pit. All told, about a grand (well over a grand counting the USL). It's easy to get sucked in by all
the enthusiasm.

Eh. Live and Learn. I'm learning a lot . . . <chortle> . . . and trying to maintain my sense of humor about it all.

-RDH

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
RDH,

Gottcha!

Yeah, I agree with you about trying alternatives to NiMH. Totally. And I'm all for looking into AW cells.

Just to re-iterate my own idea: I was thinking of the A123 systems high-rate, inherently safe, Li-ion cells, in the sub-C size range. Four of them are just about perfect for driving the 62138, as they start at 3.3 volts, and have a nice, long (very long), flat plateau at 3.0 volts. They can be recharged in like 5 minutes, if you have the amperage to spare, and they can be over-discharged and be just fine, and can be left sitting around, and be just fine, and can even be over-charged and be just fine. The only draw back is low capacity, and thus short runtime. But for a 100W incan, that's OK.

We'd end up with a 3C Maglite, I think. Or at worst, a 4C, but I'm pretty sure that I worked out the details a couple years ago and figured a 3C would accommodate 4 of the 26 mm dia A123 systems cells.

But, it's just an idea.

As I said, I will call Bill--one last time--and make a plea for him to send YOUR (you'all) stuff to me so I can finish the USL project. (Well, I can dream). I'm sure the packs are toast, though. They have to be. Bill couldn't even be bothered to post to this thread, so what are the chances that he has bothered to do maintenance charging on the packs. Plus, it's an easy thing to forget about, as I know all too well from personal experience.

bobbo

Newly Enlightened
Hi Jim, :sigh:

I have spent several hours tonight looking for papers on this USL "FRAUD" and have come up with two different order lists.One is the list posted on 12/10/06 with the last order # being #77!? I will post later today and if not,Monday.I am trying to find everything I can on print-outs that I have done on the USL.Just a little food for thought,I would say that "bwaits" has at least $20,000 of us unfortunte members that never received anything.I lost $1150.00 on this phony deal (yes,I think I think I had the largest order of anyone).If I had only one wish for this new year,other than winning the lotto,it would be to know that "Bill" is behind bars and rots there.How would you or any member feel if a friend stole over $1000.00 from you and you knew you would never see a penny of it again! This guy is a Thief let's face it and amit it.There is no excuse for thievery.

Thanks for hearing me out and I will gladly send copies of the order lists that I have.

bobbo

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK everyone,

I just called Bill's cell and left a message asking Bill to let me know where things stand with the USL parts. Maybe he'll send me an email in the next day or so. We shall see.

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
Hi js,

Once again, thanks for your efforts. I assume that at this point, most of the people waiting for a USL have lost faith in Bill, as I have. (Except for that mst3k guy. His optimism just seems unbounded and unflappable). :crackup:

Joe

P.S. - P.M. will be sent shortly.

paulr

Flashaholic
If I had to guess, I'd say we're at J_Oei ????? And if so, that means that Bill was exaggerating how far along he was. Or was including lights I built and sent to him to send to people, but which he never sent out. Or who knows. Sure would be nice if Bill could get access to the internet and post to his own thread.

Anyway, please chime in if you can help us figure out where we are in the list.

I'm just before J_Oei in the list and I have not received anything. I was in for a USL and a Triton. I have to wonder what happened with the Tritons. If I somehow end up with a Triton and no light, that's better than nothing.

Come to think of it, I remember opting for an updated battery pack.

Last edited:

DaveNagy

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody,

Sorry, I hadn't noticed the sudden flurry of activity in this thread. Even though it started a couple months ago. (For some reason, I haven't felt the need to check the status of my USL as often in recent years.) :)

Anywho, I'm bit higher on the list, and I never received my USL, nor any communications on the subject. Has it been alleged that people from my part of the list actually got their lights? EDIT: Oh, my USL was to be "guardless", so that could explain why I was skipped over. I forgot about that detail.

I did actually receive something from Bill, so that makes me one of the lucky ones, I guess. A while back, I decided to buy "The Torch", from Mac. Since I would need a charger for it, I contacted Bill about shipping me my power-supply "early". And he did! I think he also sent me my Triton, although my memory is getting fuzzy about that. What a long strange trip this has been....

JS, you're the best. But come on, you don't need to try to do anything more to "make this right". You've already done a lot, and I'm sure everyone appreciates that. If you were now to do something that would that would cost you additional time/money (especially money!), then I would feel even worse about this debacle, not better! You've already done your penance; we don't need you suffering further for Bill's sins.

That said, it would be fun to have a new project rise up out of the ashes. If nothing else, it would help wash the bad taste away. But, it sounds like there may be nothing tangible that can be salvaged from the USL parts bin at this point. If that's the case, then perhaps there's no point.

But hey, I'm always interested in new ways to spend money on impractical lights.:) To be honest, I'm kinda "over" incans at this point. Some sort of absurdly powerful LED light might be fun. Or not. Just spit-ballin' here....

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, Bill replied.

Didn't miss a beat. Out of town / busy with holidays / didn't get a round TUIT / will send out Monday for sure.

But then he did send me an email asking me if he had the correct address on file for me, so, that's interesting.

So . . . who knows . . . maybe I'll start receiving packages.

mst3k

Enlightened
So, Bill replied.

Didn't miss a beat. Out of town / busy with holidays / didn't get a round TUIT / will send out Monday for sure.

But then he did send me an email asking me if he had the correct address on file for me, so, that's interesting.

So . . . who knows . . . maybe I'll start receiving packages.

He asked if he had the correct addy for YOU??

:whistle:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
mst3k,

Yup.

So, no packages yet. I wonder if he meant last Monday, or this coming one? Or (last Monday, but of 2010).

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, well well! I just got not one, not two, not three, but FOUR USPS tracking confirmation numbers for four packages heading my way from Bill.

This is looking good, people! We may be in business yet!