The New Arc-AAA

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't compare the two. The only Dorcy's that have the CS in them are the ones that those of us have put them in. The Dorcy uses an optical lense that magnifies or intensifies the beam, so there's no way to compare one to the other.

The LED's dome is its "lense." It focuses and directs the photons from the LED. The ARC "reflector" simply recaptures what tiny bit of spill there is and makes it useable. Great improvements to the reflector would not yield great results.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the Dorcy 1AAA does have a plastic "lens" over the LED, that lens is flat and does not intensify the beam in any way - indeed it probably clips about 10% off of it with losses. The Dorcy has a reflector which might collect a few more photons than the polished Arc aluminum head - but again probably not by much.

So the Dorcy DOES compare to the Arc as far as light projection goes. It also compares in that it provides a lot of useful spill - like the Arc.

The standard Dorcy uses a lower efficiency LED and so is far behind the Arc unless one takes the time to swap the LED for a new Nichia type like the Arc has, in which case I'd guess they put about about the same light (don't have a new Arc AAA to compare).

Where the Dorcy does NOT compare to the Arc is in size, ruggedness (wall thickness, waterproofing, etc. - although the Dorcy is pretty rugged too), run time, and general sophistication, where the Arc wins. The Dorcy also does not compare to the Arc in cost and having a push button, where the Dorcy wins.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I really like my new Arc-AAA, and it's on the outside of my EDC bag where I can use it anytime I need to, including when I'm away from home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stand corrected - the lens IS flat. I've never had the lense and reflector apart but the beam appeared to me to be magnified, so I assumed it. I just looked through the lense from both directions and you are correct.

While I don't have the ability to "read" the board, I've been told that the Dorcy has no regulation, only boost.

Again, I stand corrected.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the .5 watt LED ? How does the ARC output compare/contrast to the AAA nuwai using the .5 watt LED ? I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect before buying one. I'll most likely get at least one for my Dad who loves his old standard but I don't think I'd swap out the JIL on my keyring for anything but the ION I've got ordered.

Foss

Newly Enlightened
Hey Pete,

Great to see you are back in business. Does this mean you will honor your "lifetime" warranty on previous MFRD Arc lights?

Thanks,

Anton

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, as I have posted several months ago, the new company I am working for (MTD) has agreed to provide limited service at a discounted rate on the Arc-AAA and Arc-AA models. This is funded as a marketing expense.

Several people have taken me up on that offer and I would say they are all fairly satisfied with the results.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So, if you have an AAA/AA that needs service please email me at [email protected]

Peter

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
sunspot said:

[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:<font color="red"> <snip> </font>
I wonder if your Freedom Max is quite up to snuff?

[/ QUOTE ]I had the same thought. When I first got the Freedom, I put it up against the LE. I remember it beat the snot out of the LE. After 1 ½ of EDC on the Freedom, I had an accidental discharge (that made me remember why I don't EDC a Photon) and replaced the batteries with an off brand. I'll buy some major brand batteries and report back with a new test.
So sorry to hear you cannot buy an Arc until Aug. This is the best AAA 5mm light ever made.

[/ QUOTE ]

geepondy.
Here are some updated pictures. All lights have fresh batteries. As can be seen, good batteries do make a difference.
Not true colors in photo's. The Freedom is a bit yellow in tint. The Arc has a great beam spread without losing any brightness. I'm normally a big fan of brighter and tighter but the Arc is a fantastic single 5mm pocket light. I don't need tight in a regular sized room and this puppy lights up the whole room.

Left to right: Arc-P rev4, Photon Freedom Max, Arc-S rev3.x, Photon III Covert.

dscf0844small2yk.jpg

I've also included a picture of three Arc's. The first one is the new Arc. the second one is a side engraved Arc-S. The last one is an early Arc-LE made in the fall of 2001. They just keep getting better, don't they?

dscf0842small3xs.jpg

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah it is . It convinced me I want one for myself.

Dana has me sold. Peter if we mention Dana's photos on an order would you hook him up with a freebie?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Dana, like other's I'm impressed. I was suitable impressed with the difference between the freedom and old arc, if the new arc takes it up a notch still, then I'm really impressed.

The_virus

Enlightened
I received my order of Arc flashlights today! Order #1666 for those tracking such things, I waited until the retail packaging was ready. These are my first Arc lights ever, and I'm impressed already. I can't wait for it to get dark so I can put them to use!

For those curious about the packaging, the blue "water themed" packaging was used. From what I remember however, the bullet points are a little different. I'd post a pic, but I don't want to break any rules which may be involved. It was clearly inspired by the blue water packaging that was part of the vote earlier.

I can now officially say I'm a proud owner of an Arc light. I'll post a review on KevinL's FLDB, maybe tomorrow or in a few days after I've used the light enough to get my final impressions (I don't want to jump the gun, but I expect my review to be glowing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) I may post my two cents here as well, again, after I've used the lights for a bit. Have a good day (and night) everyone, I know I will! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

StevieRay

Enlightened
Question?

I received my AAA-P today. I noticed that the ARC-P labeling is on the body and not the head. How would one know if they are getting a standard or a premium unless they could compare the 2 together?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a good question StevieRay. In the 4 years we have made a premium/limited version of the AAA, we have never marked the head differently. Part of this has to do with the whole mag lawsuite (they get touchy about text on the head of a flashlight, it has to be orientated just right, not wrap, etc) and part of this is because there is not as much room on the head to mark.

We have looked at adding notches to the metal lip, indelible marker, rfid tag, moving things around to make room for a laser mark, etc.

I would like to mark the head in the future. For now, it is not the highest priority. I hope you understand.

We can tell them apart because on or off. When the LED is on, the CS led produces a larger hotspot than the standard. When off, you can look into the CS led and see it doesn't have as dark of bond pads as the standard. The CS LED uses transparent bond connectors on the die.

Congrats on your new Arc and thank you!

Peter

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter,

I recieved my new ARC AAA a couple of days ago, the workmanship is unquestionable in the quality, the led is a little off center (normal no biggy) but the beam has a definate and bright blue color to the center of the beam, which to me acts like a beacon, causing a blue color to anything white. are you planning to get a whiter LED in the future? right now my 26K keylight has a whiter LED and thus makes it more usable to me IMO.

Peter this is not anything against the AAA or you your workmanship is unquestionable but with the technology out there I was hoping for a whiter beam for the $$.

doug

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was expecting my arc aaa premium v4 to be a backup light after I got the HDS EDC Ultimate 60 XR. But last night I turned on my arc aaa-p 4 and I was pleasantly suprised but the quality of the beam, the nice BIG corona and the sheer amount of usable light from this tiny little wonder! I had forgotton just how much light the arc produced! The throw is also pretty good considering the tiny reflector.

RayT

Newly Enlightened
I can tell all you readers that Peter is an absolute standup and most honorable fellow. A true rarity in the business world today.

Through some events which I am not at liberty to divulge the true nature of Peter and his commitment to his customers showed Peter's true level of this commitment. This level is second to none and goes well beyond any reasonable expectation.

Buy his products. You may find a brighter light in the same size category (it may be difficult). You may find a light with a better feature that you like (it may be difficult). You may find a whiter LED in the same form factor and light output (it may be difficult).

But what you will find extremely difficult (perhaps impossible) to find is someone that stands behind their product, believes in the product, and supports their customer in the manner that Peter does.

Buy his products knowing full well that you are getting the top of the line when all factors are considered. There is none better.

My ARC-AAA is always with me and will soon be joined by several other ARC-AAA's that will be given to friends. Having a light that is reliable and small so it is always carried, may just be the difference between comfort and misery, inconvenience and critical, and yes, perhaps even life and death.

I highly recommend the ARC-AAA. But with you chaps I am probably preaching to the choir.

Status
Not open for further replies.