The new Terralux TLE-300MR-EX upgrade for Mag Charger. 700 lumens.

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ended up getting this for Xmas and I LOVE it! It lights up the backyard with a nice floodlight type of beam. This is exactly what I wanted as the original halogen bulb was either a bright spot or went way to dim when focused into a flood. I also really like the two dimmer settings as I can use the light for car repair or other closeup work without getting blinded. I will be doing a beamshot comparison as soon as I can find the time over the next few weeks, although time is tough to come by right now for me.

I just received one of these for Christmas. The beam is bright. Looks a tad brighter than my Romisen RC-T5. Be prepared if you have sensitive ears though. The PWM on medium and high sounds like a movie of a mouse getting murdered paused while it's screaming.:eek:

Congrats on your gifts guys! Finally we'll have some beamshots... :popcorn:

Cheers,
Dioni

pulstar

Enlightened
Im a bit confused here.. Say i buy the TLE-300M-EX in my 4D with 4x rechargable 1.2V 10000 mAh (= 48Wh).

Looking at the specs for the unit:

The TLE-300M-EX offers 3 output levels
100%(1 hour)
50% (2 hours)
15% (8 hours)moonlight mode

Power Consumption: Approximately 12 Watts

Something is really off here..

I think that these numbers are for Terralux TLE-300MR- ex, and not for M dropin for "normal" maglites.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, i guess asking for proper specs, is too much asked.

When it comes to flashlight manufacturers, yes asking for light output specifications is asking for *way* too much.

More so than in any other industry that I follow closely in my various hobbies and interests, flashlights are WAY over-rated in terms of factory light output specs. That's why I pretty much ignore all manufacturer provided lumen ratings.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
More so than in any other industry that I follow closely in my various hobbies and interests, flashlights are WAY over-rated in terms of factory light output specs. That's why I pretty much ignore all manufacturer provided lumen ratings.

Last I checked, auto manufacturers still give the horsepower ratings at the engine and not at the wheels, this is not at all different to flashlights being rated by emitter lumens.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im a bit confused here.. Say i buy the TLE-300M-EX in my 4D with 4x rechargable 1.2V 10000 mAh (= 48Wh).

Looking at the specs for the unit:

The TLE-300M-EX offers 3 output levels
100%(1 hour)
50% (2 hours)
15% (8 hours)moonlight mode

Power Consumption: Approximately 12 Watts

Something is really off here..

If these runtimes are for MagCharger it does mean you will get 3 times the runtimes with your 4D and the batteries you mention. Stock MagCharger battery only has 15Wh.

Regards, Patric

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last I checked, auto manufacturers still give the horsepower ratings at the engine and not at the wheels, this is not at all different to flashlights being rated by emitter lumens.

I know and flywheel, not rear wheel, hosepower ratings are one of the things that I don't like about the automotive industry...among *many* other things.

pulstar

Enlightened
Ok guys,

if I would waited for you guys...I'd probably never get myself a new, Terralux TLE-300MR-EX dropin. :twothumbs

First observations: Beam shape remains the same: It's a bit funky on a white wall, but outside/a bit longer distances you won't notice that. I was pleasantly suprised by the tint: It's quite warmer than the tint of TLE-300MR. But still on a "cool side", pretty much the same as my Nitecore Extreme's. Probably LED's are the same: CREE R2's.
It's a bit brighter than the old one, but there isn't a big difference.

How to change modes: It has no memory so you have to cycle through three brightness setting. You can use momentary (press for high, depress, press again for medium, depress, and press for low, deprees. If you press again you're on high again.) You can also click for constant on(high)turn it of, then click again(medium)... Probably the best way to get the desired level is combination of momentary and constant: Let's say you want to get the low mode: press two times, third time click all the way down and you're in low mode (note: i assumed that first press was for high)

**About PWM sound
: You can hear a light squeeeeek when you're in medium, and even louder when in low. But i could hear it only when flashlight was still dismantled. When everything was back together i couldn't hear anything (i still can't actually:laughing:)

Beamshots: Be aware, that i used point and shoot camera with automatic settings only. These beamshots are taken just for relative comparison!!!

I compared Magcharger with TLE-300MR-EX, Surefire LX2 and Nitecore Extreme R2.

First from left is Terralux, second LX2, right is Extreme R2

All flashlights on highest mode:
dsc02507v.jpg

Terralux on medium, other on high:
dsc02508s.jpg

All three low (lowest on Extreme R2)
dsc02510k.jpg

Terralux high, other low (lowest on Extreme R2)
dsc02509l.jpg

Beam-shape of TLE-300MR-EX
dsc02511a.jpg

Now two more pictures of flashlights appearance:
dsc02512p.jpg

dsc02515y.jpg

This is all for now, hope i helped you guys a bit. Btw, i have UCL lens on my Magcharger, and i used original lens "sealing" and o-ring that comes with drop-in. There's no rattle or anything.

For outdoor beamshots please go to:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/245852
but unfortunately there are pictures of my old TLE-300MR. However, those pictures are made with locked camera setting, to see the real performance of my three flashlights. New 300MR-EX should be a little bit brighter and with warmer tint.

I apologize for language and grammar mistakes.

FenixFire

Newly Enlightened
Hey, do you guys know if it would be at all possible to install the terralux tle-300m-ex in a 2d maglite with 2 AW 18650's rated at 3.7v and 2600 mah? Or is that out of the question?

Thanks from a newbie guy here.

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review Pulstar. I believe it has not the same throw as stock incan bulb, but looks a nice LED upgrade.

Thanks again! :popcorn:

Cheers
Dioni

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, do you guys know if it would be at all possible to install the terralux tle-300m-ex in a 2d maglite with 2 AW 18650's rated at 3.7v and 2600 mah? Or is that out of the question?

According to module specifications, it has operating voltage between 6v and 24v, so no problems on that.

The problems is on the way that the module will be adapted in the mag head. I dont know about it exactly. :thinking:

pulstar

Enlightened
Thanks for the review Pulstar. I believe it has not the same throw as stock incan bulb, but looks a nice LED upgrade.

Thanks again! :popcorn:

Cheers
Dioni

Regarding throw, when i did comparison between TLE-300MR and stock Magcharger, there was only tiiiiiny difference in beam distance. Stock bulb throws only slightly more. Really, only by a very small margin. For me, there's no question which "emitter" i prefer, Terralux is waaaay better than stock bulb, and with three different brightness modes makes your Magcharger very versatile light!

FenixFire

Newly Enlightened
According to module specifications, it has operating voltage between 6v and 24v, so no problems on that.

The problems is on the way that the module will be adapted in the mag head. I dont know about it exactly. :thinking:
Well I know the module fits the 3d maglites and aren't 3d maglite heads similar to the 2d? I'm assuming this because most other drop ins I've looked at usually fit 2d and 3d mags. Or will that not be the case with this one?

Thanks for the reply :)

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding throw, when i did comparison between TLE-300MR and stock Magcharger, there was only tiiiiiny difference in beam distance. Stock bulb throws only slightly more. Really, only by a very small margin. For me, there's no question which "emitter" i prefer, Terralux is waaaay better than stock bulb, and with three different brightness modes makes your Magcharger very versatile light!

Just great! I currently have a upgraded MC with a WA1160 bulb [MC60] and it puts out a huge amount of light, however even with the WA1160 [rated at ~400lm in MC] this TLE-M300 sounds nice! :thumbsup:

Well I know the module fits the 3d maglites and aren't 3d maglite heads similar to the 2d? I'm assuming this because most other drop ins I've looked at usually fit 2d and 3d mags. Or will that not be the case with this one?

Thanks for the reply :)

If you have this info [that module fits in the 3D], great! The 2D and 3D heads are identical except the Mag C heads.
Therefore, I dont see problems since it is in the voltage range and you got the info that it fit in Mag D.

Cheers,
Dioni

OR_1985

Newly Enlightened
problems with the TLR-300MR-ex

Hey everyone, I got the TLR-300MR-EX and have used it now for about a month and a half. I have started to have some problems with it. First, the lens that came with it is starting to push out in the middle where the drop in comes into contact with it. It almost looks like it's melting the lens.....anyone have this problem? Any ideas on how to keep it from doing this if i get a new lens?

Second, my light will flicker on and off and from time to time. It also will jump from the highest or medium setting to the lowest or will flicker for a while then come back on. This really gets annoying when you are trying to use it and it basically dies on you.

Any thoughs or suggestions would be great. Thanks.

1011Tristar

Newly Enlightened
Buffalo, NY & Franklin, MA (Boston 'burb)
I ran the 300MR for the past year and just gave it up to a buddy in preparation of purchasing the new model. My only complaint was that it was too bright to use on most traffic stops due to being too bright and not having a lower mode. Now I just have to wait till next payday to get the new model.

I did have an issue with the gen1 Stinger kit but they replaced it for free with the current gen which is much better so I guess wasn't much of an issue.

I got a TerraLux Stinger kit - what's the difference of the gen 1 and gen 2 kits?

Pete Mcrash

Newly Enlightened

....that's what i'm going to do....you need 6v(+) to power it so 2x18650's should do the job well