The new XP-G: another big announcement from CREE

Curt R

Enlightened
There is no solder contact surface on the sides on the XP-G chip unlike that of a resistor or cap therefore no tombstone-ing.

Curt

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering what the code name of this new die used in the XP-G is called? It can't simply be a larger EZ1000 die, or can it?

The older XR-E and XP-G had either EZ1000 or EZ900 dies.
I was sitting around thinking Cree at some point had advanced the EZ1000 so well they were able to shrink it in to the EZ900 and still produce the same characteristics as LEDs using the EZ1000. Can we hypothesize that eventually this new die could be shrank to the size of the EZ1000 or hopefully even the EZ900. A die shrink would greatly benefit Cree in terms of less wasted waffers and more LEDs per waffer and better throw for us.

The other thing I was wondering is; SSC currently uses EZ1000 dies. If Cree were to start selling these dies to other companies like they did the EZ1000 we could start seeing brighter reworked P7s and P4s. I'm imagining High CRI P4s are 100lm/w.

moviles

Enlightened
I was wondering what the code name of this new die used in the XP-G is called? It can't simply be a larger EZ1000 die, or can it?

left XR-E with ez1000 chip/// right XP-G with....maybe ez1400?? or maybe ez2000??:thinking:
xp-g-vs-xr-e.jpg

IMSabbel

Enlightened
left XR-E with ez1000 chip/// right XP-G with....maybe ez1400?? or maybe ez2000??:thinking:
xp-g-vs-xr-e.jpg

Well, ez2000 would just be wrong. its a 1400um die.

And WOW. Before that picture i did not really realize how tiny those XPGs are. Add to this the cheapness, nothing will stop them :)

If only the parcel from cutter were already here..

kan3

Newly Enlightened
Is there nowhere else that sells them?

I would like to know this as well. It takes about 2-3 weeks to get anything I order from Cutters. Where as when I order stuff from in state I usually get it in 3 days.

xenonk

Enlightened
Given their naming scheme I'd expect ez1400 as reference to approximate side length. ez700 = 0.7mm*0.7mm, ez900 = 0.9mm*0.9mm

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

txg

Newly Enlightened
although there isn't anything said about the 230v being alternating current, you're totally right about this absolutely stupid idea.

interestingly, on the german page about the led, resistor suggestions stop at 24v.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been a while since I haven't done any flashlight modding, and it seems technology has progressed enough that the time has come to fire up the soldering iron again. I have a few questions, the answers to which should bring me up-to-date with the current situation:

1) is the XP-G a lambertian LED? Based on its design, and on the fact that people using them on reflectors meant specifically for the XR-E package are getting awful beams, I think it is, but I'd like to be sure.
2) In case it is, can it be a direct replacement for a SSC P4?
2) I see from that picture that the XP-G has a four... um, strip chip, while the XR-E has three. Are there any plans by Cree to sell XR-Es with the new die? Or are they maybe planning to phase out the XR-E entirely? The XP-G certainly seems easier to assemble, and if it's lambertian it's probably also easier to build reflectors for.
3) Is the R5 the highest-rated bin that is generally available right now? What's the actual difference between R2 and R5
4) what's the highest bin the SSC P4 can be had in, and what Cree bin is it equivalent to?

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Whoa. My 7 XP-G R5 board arived today.
Sadly, my driver is not here yet, and my Lab PSU only goes to 20V...

Runs at 200mA at 20.0V, and still, damn its bright. and those leds are tiny. There would be no problem to but 30 of them on this 38mm PCB.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
But at least KD doesn't add an unannounced "handling fee" when you get to the last step of the checkout in addition to the shipping. That's pretty dodgy, Cutter.

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
Looks like I'll be pre-ordering one of the Quark 123-2's! The R5 looks pretty impressive.

So it's perhaps 20-30% brighter than say an R2 and 15-20% more effecient?

Also, with the wider beam, do you all feel it'll be more of a thrower than a flooder?