The Nightsword project

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Superlights shoot-out 2011: The Short Arcs

Took some more beam shots last night. Again the cars came sneaking up. Maybe I'll leave it on for Halloween.

Beam up close...
beam2.jpg

From a bit further...
beam3.jpg

From down the road...
beam4.jpg

It puts a bright pin spot on the clouds surrounded by a bit of a flood.

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, get-lit, wow!

When are you going to measure the >100 meter lux?
Enough to take down Ra's Maxa Blaster yet?

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks ma_sha1.

Sorry, I have a list of things to be completed before I can take it out somewhere for lux measurements. I can tell you now, it's definitely not going to take down the Maxa Blaster in shear candlepower. I'd be happy to achieve just over 40 million CP, but with 75,000 source lumen, it will throw a ton of light a fun distance. My goal is to take down the Nightsun SX-16 Searchlight. The Maxablaster and Nightsun are two very different beasts with two very different purposes. I expect this light to slightly exceed the Nightsun in total lumen output and candlepower (by roughly 15% on both counts), while being portable, weatherproof and under 10 lbs. This could have been done a long time ago if I weren't planning to make this for production on such a limited budget. Gotta make sure I get it right before the major production costs come into play. Just dumped another $1200 on a couple more prototype reflectors with a new coating method to greatly improve reflectance and durability over standard Bright Rhodium. All of the components are highly integrated with each other in the design. It doesn't make it easy to develop but it's the only way to make it most portable and durable. For instance, if I have to change something as simple as the size of an air passage, it affects everything else in the design. Down the road, I can have some super short arc versions of the lamps produced for you CP nuts, but it will add to cost and reduce the lamp life.

BVH

Flashaholic

This could have been done a long time ago if I weren't planning to make this for production on such a limited budget. Gotta make sure I get it right before the major production costs come into play.

Get Lit, it's been a while so I don't exactly remember. Are you designing this for your own production of lights for sale or were you designing and making this such that CPF'rs could make one of their own from available plans and materials?

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast

The original idea was to offer a kit form at cost. As this has evolved, the assembly has become complicated, and with lethal voltages involved (50kv) it's become evident to me it would not be remotely safe for this to be assembled by just anyone. If someone doesn't get it right, or doesn't take certain precautions along the way, it could result in premature lamp failures, electronics failures, or just plain crappy performance, or worse it could easily make you blind or abruptly end your life. Even if there's the standard waiver etc, having an incident would absolutely destroy my passion for this project. So I figured I'd have to assemble them, but I also figured more people would begin to want them, so I had to just offer it to those involved in the early discussions, because I'd probably not have the time to build them for more people. If more people ended up wanting one down the road, I'd have to charge for my time and likewise become a supporter. However I don't see this really going that way because really how many people out there are crazy enough to spend four figures on a "flashlight" in this day and age. Just a few die hards here like myself.

ez78

Enlightened

Woow, so you really built it, congratulations get-lit! That's propably the most intense cloud bounce I have seen here.:eek:oo:

Enlightened

The original idea was to offer a kit form at cost. As this has evolved, the assembly has become complicated, and with lethal voltages involved (50kv) it's become evident to me it would not be remotely safe for this to be assembled by just anyone. If someone doesn't get it right, or doesn't take certain precautions along the way, it could result in premature lamp failures, electronics failures, or just plain crappy performance, or worse it could easily make you blind or abruptly end your life. Even if there's the standard waiver etc, having an incident would absolutely destroy my passion for this project. So I figured I'd have to assemble them, but I also figured more people would begin to want them, so I had to just offer it to those involved in the early discussions, because I'd probably not have the time to build them for more people. If more people ended up wanting one down the road, I'd have to charge for my time and likewise become a supporter. However I don't see this really going that way because really how many people out there are crazy enough to spend four figures on a "flashlight" in this day and age. Just a few die hards here like myself.

I could be in line for your light! :D

I can get approx 200mcp (very conservatively speaking, it should be much higher) for $1200 shipped for fun. Too big though and i don't have a truck/van transportation to lug it out.... Front aperture 24" i believe and much longer/higher. VSS-3 is 150mcp max for 14" IIRC.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic

......So I figured I'd have to assemble them, but I also figured more people would begin to want them, so I had to just offer it to those involved in the early discussions, because I'd probably not have the time to build them for more people. If more people ended up wanting one down the road, I'd have to charge for my time and likewise become a supporter. However I don't see this really going that way because really how many people out there are crazy enough to spend four figures on a "flashlight" in this day and age. Just a few die hards here like myself.

I'm still definitely interested in one and would expect to pay for not only the parts, but your time in R&D and assembly.

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast

You're definitely on the list BVH. I'm just one guy with many responsibilities and very little money, so it's still going to be a while. One day at a time. Thanks for offering towards the other costs, but I don't think you'd want to be doing that. They are going to be way up there, because there's four large molded parts and several small molded parts. Injection molding would cost hundreds of thousands, so I'm going to make them one at a time with fiberglass or kevlar vacuum mold layup. Much more cost effective and you get much stronger parts, but the plugs to make the molds will still cost me tens of thousands, but that's much better than the cost of injection molding all this. Like I said, I really got to take the time to get it right before I move to that step.

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Need some input here. Currently the light uses a 10.5" diameter reflector within a 11.25" diameter housing. If I can extend the reflector to 11.5" diameter, I'd get much more CP due to the additional portion of light gather as well as the larger aperture, but the housing diameter would be 12.25" rather than 11.25". Do you feel this would be too large for general portability?

BVH

Flashaholic

A relative "extra" inch in overall O.D. is of little consequence to me. Your main idea is, I believe, to build one heck of a thrower and the larger diameter reflector supports that goal. In plain English - larger is better!

Last edited:

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast

The main idea is a "practical" mega thrower. Practical is really key, otherwise it would be a 14" diameter reflector. From a practical standpoint, going from a 11.25" diameter housing to a 12.25" housing is really pushing the boundaries for something to be easily carried, while the gains in CP would be somewhat noticeable. I could always go smaller afterwards. Guess I'll go ahead and add the extra inch on this one. Thanks BVH.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast

A relative "extra" inch in overall O.D. is of little consequence to me. Your main idea is, I believe, to buile one heck of a thrower and the larger diameter reflector supports that goal. In plain English - larger is better!

this comming from the 60" arc lamp man!:crackup:

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know, it just wasn't so good for hiking and boating :ironic:

Jarski

Newly Enlightened

Just be careful with adding more inches, it may get out of control and you get a 60" monster instead of something comfortable to carry :devil:

To the beamshots and lights, awesome work. These things are just plain ridiculous! (In a good way)

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Its not all about inches, its how you work those inches :crackup:

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast

But that's what they all say when they don't have a 60" monster! :twothumbs

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

These are not led lights :sssh: