The Nightsword project

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Superlights shoot-out 2011: The Short Arcs

The past month I've been trying to reduce the overall size of the light by finding the best trade off in reducing air ducting sizes versus air pressure and fan power required for proper cooling. My tests look like a life support system. In additional to the ballast, ignitor, dc converter, fan, fan controller, three push switches, and a rocker switch, I've got hooked up three temperature probes, two differential air pressure probes, two air speed sensors, one air flow sensor, one lux meter, two volt meters, and one amp meter. My final testing is about complete, then I can finalize the design and send out CAD files for the molds to be made.

Walterk

Enlightened

TIn additional to the ballast, ignitor, dc converter, fan, fan controller, three push switches, and a rocker switch, I've got hooked up three temperature probes, two differential air pressure probes, two air speed sensors, one air flow sensor, one lux meter, two volt meters, and one amp meter.

Now this is an engineered light. Can't wait to get to know whats-its-name!

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is it safe to say the Nightsword = Tour De Force in design?

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast

Greet progress Get-lit, I literally come back to CPF every once and a while just so I can check on this awesome light you are building:party:!

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks jug.

In the last test I heard a zap and smelled something not good during ignition. Then I saw one of the test probe leads was vaporized because it was a bit too close to the cathode lead.

As of now I'm testing various air filter media for optimum filtration in limited space and limited pressure loss. Air flow through the media has to be within certain bounds to also serve as a mist eliminator in wet weather. Mist and water won't get inside from any direction in any operating position, but the electronics will be silicone sealed for added measure.

I wanted to go with Kevlar for the housing, but the housing material has to be machinable for the intake and exhaust vents, so I'm going with S-Glass fiberglass outer housing with internal Kevlar logitudinal cores for lightweight strength.

Also considering a 4-way (actually a 5-position) navigation button like the Maxabeam, with forward and back for the focus control, left for strobe, and right for low/high beam. But since low/high should not be momentary, I need to find method to convert the momentary pulses to full on/off. I'm sure there's a trick little device for that out there somewhere.

The design has changed somewhat from the last images, for added strength, better airflow, more air filter surface area, and a cleaner overall design, as well as accommodating the 11.5" reflector rather than 10.5". The forward area of the handle now angles downward a bit for more comfort on the thumb, instead of flat across. That makes a big difference for me. The housing is going to be virtually indestructible with strong outer body and so much inner bracing.

Oh ya, I didn't use tempered glass for a test and the glass shattered from the heat about 2 minutes in. I was in a hurry for an air flow test and used my coffee table glass over the housing. No more coffee table.

These two mishaps cost me another fun grand. The test probe lead alone cost most of that because it was one of two thermocouple probes that have to be embedded within the lamp glass at the anode and cathode seals.

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

How did you get the picture from google earth to CPF?

1. Use "print screen" function to capture screen shot
2. Paste into a graphics program & add text if needed, if you don't have one you can use windows paint brush program.
3. Save as jpeg & then upload to image shack as usual

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been pushing hard on this project and here's the latest. Tons of major revisions. Diameter = 12", Length = 17", Rear Housing Width = 5" / Height = 5.75". All Mil-Spec components, should meet IP66 spec. Water jet & dust can not get in from any angle under any orientation. Internal components silicone encapsulated for added measure. Fine pore 60 ppi air filtered, Firgelli linear actuator focus control, strobe mode, low power mode, precision XYZ alignment. 75,000 Lumen, est. >40 million CP. 1000W, universal 90v-300v AC/DC powered. Weight balanced. Ergonomic handle with down tilted thumb buttons. EMI filtered & shielded. This is the 325th model over the past several years, and should be the final model to be molded.

Side Profile

1.jpg

Tail Standing
2.jpg

For Proportion (Photo of Some Guy at 6')
3.jpg

Last edited:

Walterk

Enlightened

Looks great!
All that, AND IP66 is an accomplishment.
Convenient to have some flat surfaces.

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

OMFG, that looks awesome with killer specs!

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks great!
All that, AND IP66 is an accomplishment.
Convenient to have some flat surfaces.

I actually don't prefer flat surfaces, but the rear had to be squared off to fit the air ducting in the smallest possible space, and the lower half of the rear housing encloses the ballast and DC converter.

Every time I'd review the design over the years, I'd think of improvements, and it often got to the point where I thought it would never end, but it seems I've come to the end of the road in the design & testing phase because I'm not finding any more ways to improve anymore. It's a very exciting transition in the project for me.

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks great, get-lit. I can't wait to see this design come to fruition for you. I have been watching and listening to your developments on this from the beginning with much interest. I just completed my first HID mod with great success. I may have to try short-arc sometime but the extra expense and danger of it all will keep me on the sidelines for a while still. It sure is fun watching the rest of you guys go all out though!

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you. I added corrugation. Pics updated.

EDIT: I wonder if there's a soft coat that can be used for the gelcoat. I've been seeing that on some of the newer products, like some hair dryers. It's like a soft rubbery coating, but not rubberized. Anyone know what that type of coating is called?

Last edited:

Nuker-

Newly Enlightened

The higher end logitech MX mouse has this coating all over its body. It is plastic and its hard but it has a very super thin coating of some kind of rubber.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think I remember 4sevens saying something about a coating like that on their preon series. Maybe a preon owner will remember a trade name for it.

Thank you. I added corrugation. Pics updated.

EDIT: I wonder if there's a soft coat that can be used for the gelcoat. I've been seeing that on some of the newer products, like some hair dryers. It's like a soft rubbery coating, but not rubberized. Anyone know what that type of coating is called?

Enlightened

Short arcs are really nice for throw but not exactly a lot of lumens. (I want both). I now have an approx 8000 bulb lumens (5900L OTF) 100W 3.8 mil cd light. So get-lit's is like 10pcs of mine and it's portable. (just bring your own genset or UPS or 10pcs of 7.2AH SLAs and your custom metal container LOL!).

WOW!