The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
best way to add sweetness to my coffee? i hate chemicals so is regular old sugar the best?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool im afraid ill get diabetes so im trying to cut down on real sugar i just checked my glucose is 102 mg.

ledbetter

Enlightened
Roasting at home with Gene Cafe roaster, mostly dry process beans. Before that I was using simple stove top method. Definitely an upgrade, along with a quality burr grinder, and the wife and I are enjoying it daily. Gotta stay caffeinated!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
you all are in a better level then me. my last coffe grounds was like 1 buck a pound and its pretty darn good

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Is all Stevia the same? I've tried it in a couple of different places and in one case it tasted good but the other left a metallic aftertaste in my mouth.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
omg stevia is insane its so powerful i had to go to the pharmacy to get a syringe to measure it out

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Is all Stevia the same? I've tried it in a couple of different places and in one case it tasted good but the other left a metallic aftertaste in my mouth.
Stevia "extract" has various purities. As in sometimes it's mixed with corn starch. The stevia sinks, the corn starch almost floats so what you see hanging out at the top is the corn starch additive.

B478EAAA-7175-4EA3-99D0-06A866F3F596.jpeg

Trying out decaf tea instead of decaf coffee.
I did not know Earl Gray Tea was a south Asian flavor of tea named for some British guy who introduced it to the West. I thought it was a brand. And that maybe Bigelow had bought out Earl Gray. I know Jean-Luc Picard drinks it so I figured, why not?

It has a unique flavor and aroma that resembles herbal tea somewhat. I had a 2nd cup. The bergamot oil extract is a calming ingredient I read so that with decaf black tea may not be the ideal morning pick-me-up. Perhaps late afternoon as a way to wind down after a day at the circus called "work".

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
20+ year I.T. guy - Coffee makes the world go round.

Recently, I've been fighting acid reflux, so I'm limiting my coffee to what I take in my thermos rather than hammer the Kuerig all day after that's depleted.

At home, plain old Mr. Coffee coffeemaker with Melitta coffee.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm usually a light roast person, but I decided to buy some dark roast the other week. So the other day I was moping around the house while fighting an upper respiratory infection when I decided to break out one of the dark roast pods and made myself a cup of it. Hmm, this tastes ok.

But later in the day when my sinuses were starting to clear up and my sense of taste was returning, I made myself another cup of dark roast and gads, it was horrid. :sick:

Are there any dark roasts that aren't burnt and don't taste like charcoal?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
From personal experience, I'd say "No."
Dang. OK thanks Monocrom.

What got me on this quest was a recent day where I picked up a cup of medium roast coffee at a gas station - just their regular house blend - and it turned out to be the best, most flavorful and satisfying cup of coffee that I've had in at least a decade. I've since been trying to figure out just what kind it was. The label on the machine didn't offer any real clues.