The Official EagleTac G25C2 thread.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Santa brought me an EagleTac G25C2!!

The accessory pack is really nice, 2 extension tubes, extra foam grips, an insert to keep CR123's from rattling, very nice aluminum flip down filter with latch, and Red, Green, Yellow, Blue, and diffuser coated glass lenses for the filter. Well worth the price.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

so i'm looking at the G25C2 manual online and if i'm reading correctly: you can customize the 3rd or 4th levels to turn on at either strobe or high-flash or SOS or beacon or low-flash individually?

like i could make the 3rd level to always be low flash? and customize the 4th to be strobe?

kinda like a 4Sevens tactical?

jcalvert

Enlightened

To anyone who already has taken receipt of the G25C2 and also has the T20C2 MKII (whether be it the XM-L v1, XM-L H.O. XP-G R5/S2, XRE R2), if you could compare/contrast the G25C2's hotspot and spill beam profiles and characteristics at a few different distances, whether in beamshot photo comparison format at marked distances such as wall shots initially, then say 50', 100', 200', etc, or alternatively in a written review format, that would be awesome. Although beamshot comparison photos would be most telling, even just offering a brief description between these models would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if you find that the G25C2's beam's profile characteristics are generally similar to any other, well-known, mid-range thrower(s) that "selfbuilt" or another enthusiast has reviewed, that would also be great. If there is in fact a light(s) that "selfbuilt" has reviewed and provided all of us with beamshot photos (such as in his 100 yard photo comparison reviews), that would also be fantastic.

Since I already have a T20C2 MKII XM-L v1 which is an awesome, heavy duty, general-purpose light with what I personally consider as having more of a balanced beam profile with some decent range, whether I consider a purchase of the G25C2 will depend in part on whether the throw is sufficiently greater on turbo than it is with the T20.

So if a G25C2 owner can offer either a photo comparison review with the T20C2 MKII (XM-L v1, XM-L H.O., XP-G R5/S2, or XR-E R2) or a similar type, well-known light in the mid-range, thrower category, or even just a brief, written, comparison review of the G25C2 relative to these aforementioned lights, then I sincerely thank you in advance for the assistance.

All the best,
John

Last edited:

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened

so i'm looking at the G25C2 manual online and if i'm reading correctly: you can customize the 3rd or 4th levels to turn on at either strobe or high-flash or SOS or beacon or low-flash individually?

like i could make the 3rd level to always be low flash? and customize the 4th to be strobe?

kinda like a 4Sevens tactical?

There are a number of options that are available to you to choose between, but if I understand your question correctly, no, the light is not fully programmable in the same way that a Jetbeam light with the IBS UI would (I'm not familiar with the 4Sevens Tactical series). You can't set the light to your own chosen power output, or assign different modes to the light's four level positions.

In many respects, you could consider the G25C2 as being more like a light with a four position control ring, with those positions responding to four preset levels, rather than your normal tactical loosen/tighten UI. Generally, with the common tactical UI, you would tighten for turbo and loosen for general setting (Fenix TK11 for instance), or tighten for high, and loosen for a user programmable mode (Jetbeam IIIM, Nitecore Extreme, etc.) While you are just tightening and loosening the head with the G25C2, depending how far you loosen the head, you can access four different levels rather than just two.

Probably easiest to state what you can do, rather than try and explain what you cant: -

1. Switch between Tactical mode and Regular mode - Tactical mode gives you 100% power, 10% power, and two strobe settings. The strobe settings are preset and non-adjustable. Regular mode gives you power settings of 100%, 35%, 6% and 0.3%.

2. You have a power management setting by default that drops the high setting from 100% to 80% after 200 seconds. This power saving feature can be left on, or switched off.

3. You can set the light so that a double click (or double push) of the tail switch activates the default strobe. By default, this option is switched off. Again, the strobe type is preset and non-adjustable.

4. Not so much an option that you can adjust, as a mode that you can access at any time. There are a number of flashing modes that you can access from high mode by quickly loosening and tightening the head. You can step through the different flashing modes by loosening and tightening the head again. You cycle through the following modes: -
strobe>high flash>SOS>beacon>low flash

5. Again not a programming option, and the parts are an optional extra, but it offers some more versatility - the light functions with a minimum of 2.7 volts, and up to 12.6 volts. With the addition of optional extenders the light can use one, two or three 18650s; one 16340 with a spacer (though I wouldn't bother with that option); two or three 16340s; two, three of four CR123As.

So, you don't have a fully customisable, programmable light, but you do have a number of options you can adjust to make the light better able to meet your needs or preferences.

superpila

Newly Enlightened

To anyone who already has taken receipt of the G25C2 and also has the T20C2 MKII (whether be it the XM-L v1, XM-L H.O. XP-G R5/S2, XRE R2), if you could compare/contrast the G25C2's hotspot and spill beam profiles and characteristics at a few different distances, whether in beamshot photo comparison format at marked distances such as wall shots initially, then say 50', 100', 200', etc, or alternatively in a written review format, that would be awesome. Although beamshot comparison photos would be most telling, even just offering a brief description between these models would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if you find that the G25C2's beam's profile characteristics are generally similar to any other, well-known, mid-range thrower(s) that "selfbuilt" or another enthusiast has reviewed, that would also be great. If there is in fact a light(s) that "selfbuilt" has reviewed and provided all of us with beamshot photos (such as in his 100 yard photo comparison reviews), that would also be fantastic.

Since I already have a T20C2 MKII XM-L v1 which is an awesome, heavy duty, general-purpose light with what I personally consider as having more of a balanced beam profile with some decent range, whether I consider a purchase of the G25C2 will depend in part on whether the throw is sufficiently greater on turbo than it is with the T20.

So if a G25C2 owner can offer either a photo comparison review with the T20C2 MKII (XM-L v1, XM-L H.O., XP-G R5/S2, or XR-E R2) or a similar type, well-known light in the mid-range, thrower category, or even just a brief, written, comparison review of the G25C2 relative to these aforementioned lights, then I sincerely thank you in advance for the assistance.

All the best,
John

I got the G25C2 yesterday and I'm blown away by the quality. I actually have the T20C2 MKII R5 which was my favourite until yesterday, and this is a totally different beast. I think that this flashlight is best compared to the Thrunite TN11, which I also own, but I stil prefer the Eagletac creature for many reasons.
The interface is the best one I've seen so far. The build quality is outstanding. I'll post a comparison soon.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just can't wait to get mine. It left Smyrna on 28th Dec and has been sitting in the USPS Miami sort facility since 1st January and hasn't departed. What's with the delay? It usually takes about 10 days to reach me from GG and 4sevens.

Nestor

Newly Enlightened

I got the G25C2 yesterday and I'm blown away by the quality. I actually have the T20C2 MKII R5 which was my favourite until yesterday, and this is a totally different beast. I think that this flashlight is best compared to the Thrunite TN11, which I also own, but I stil prefer the Eagletac creature for many reasons.
The interface is the best one I've seen so far. The build quality is outstanding. I'll post a comparison soon.

How is the G25C2 vs the TN11 in terms of throw, shape of the beam, overal lumens (if you can see a difference). Same with respect to the T20C2 MKII R5 please.
Simple beamshots would great!

Nestor

Newly Enlightened

How is the G25C2 vs the TN11 in terms of throw, shape of the beam, overal lumens (if you can see a difference). Same with respect to the T20C2 MKII R5 please.
Simple beamshots would great!

At this time, I would highly appreciate your comments on the comparison. Don't wait for the beamshots to share what you think about this light.
Thanks!

jcalvert

Enlightened

Thank you for the update, certainly I and "Nestor" look forward to your impressions, especially the beam characteristics compared to the T20 or the TN11. Btw, did you get the lens kit as well? If so, your impressions of it's construction and functionality would also be very appreciated.

All the best,
John

superpila

Newly Enlightened

At this time, I would highly appreciate your comments on the comparison. Don't wait for the beamshots to share what you think about this light.
Thanks!

Sure! Some random facts before the actual review. To answer jcalvert's question, I did not get the lens kit :-(.
- The build quality is outstanding, as I said. The TN11 is quite well done too, but looks a bit cheaper in comparison. there are some details that I like about the Eagletac flashilights, like the removable bezel, which the TN11 does not have.
- The TN11 is slightly brighter than the Eagletac, as a result of being driven harder. I have a cheap lux meter and I measured 15% more brightness for the TN11 on a single 18650. The higher Binning in the Eagletac (U2 vs T6), can't compensate for the higher current in the TN11 (I measured +20%). Needless to say that in real life you can't tell the difference, as they are both super bright. The good old T20C2 R5 is no match and is noticeably dimmer.
-The TN11 throws a bit further. Again, I measured ~20000 lux for the TN11 vs ~17000 for the G25C2. The TN11 has a smooth reflector while the Eagletac spots an OP reflector which is a bit overkill imho. In fact, neither of the two has any beam artifact. The beam pattern is really nice. I would say that the G25C2 is a bit more usable as it seems to have some more spill, but I have to take them out to come to the conclusion
-The modes in the eagletac are really useful and well spaced. The low is quite low for a tactical flashlight. Not definitely a "moonlight" mode, but still quite low. The ring that is used to change the modes is very interesting. It lacks a clicky feedback to signal what mode is being used, so, at first, it gets quite difficult to select the mode when the flashlight is switched off, which I find the only cons of this otherwise quite clever interface, but you rapidly get used to it.
-The manual mentions an (upcoming?) XP-G version of the same flashlight!
-The holster is really well done. It has a clever "blocking" mechanism that prevents the flashlight from slipping out even when the flap is open. Quite difficult to explain but hopefully a picture will tell.

overall, I'm really happy with this flashlight. It's super well machined, very bright, throws, has good spill, a good low mode, fwd switch, it's quite compact, it has the best interface I've ever seen... that was all I was asking! It's a winner for me.

Last edited:

Nestor

Newly Enlightened

Sure! Some random facts before the actual review. To answer jcalvert's question, I did not get the lens kit :-(.
- The build quality is outstanding, as I said. The TN11 is quite well done too, but looks a bit cheaper in comparison. there are some details that I like about the Eagletac flashilights, like the removable bezel, which the TN11 does not have.
- The TN11 is slightly brighter than the Eagletac, as a result of being driven harder. I have a cheap lux meter and I measured 15% more brightness for the TN11 on a single 18650. The higher Binning in the Eagletac (U2 vs T6), can't compensate for the higher current in the TN11 (I measured +20%). Needless to say that in real life you can't tell the difference, as they are both super bright. The good old T20C2 R5 is no match and is noticeably dimmer.
-The TN11 throws a bit further. Again, I measured ~20000 lux for the TN11 vs ~17000 for the G25C2. The TN11 has a smooth reflector while the Eagletac spots an OP reflector which is a bit overkill imho. In fact, neither of the two has any beam artifact. The beam pattern is really nice. I would say that the G25C2 is a bit more usable as it seems to have some more spill, but I have to take them out to come to the conclusion
-The modes in the eagletac are really useful and well spaced. The low is quite low for a tactical flashlight. Not definitely a "moonlight" mode, but still quite low. The ring that is used to change the modes is very interesting. It lacks a clicky feedback to signal what mode is being used, so, at first, it gets quite difficult to select the mode when the flashlight is switched off, which I find the only cons of this otherwise quite clever interface, but you rapidly get used to it.
-The holster is really well done. It has a clever "blocking" mechanism that prevents the flashlight from slipping out even when the flap is open. Quite difficult to explain but hopefully a picture will tell.

overall, I'm really happy with this flashlight. It's super well machined, very bright, throws, has good spill, a good low mode, fwd switch, it's quite compact, it has the best interface I've ever seen... that was all I was asking! It's a winner for me.

Thanks for the comments!!!
Have you measured the current draw?
I know the TN11 is not very good in regulation with a 18650. How does the G25C2 compare in that regard?

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast

As far as the lens kit, as I mentioned above it's extremely high quality. Matches the anodizing of the light and and has a metal "catch" to hold it closed. No spring, it's stiff enough to stay open against the body when opened on it's own. You unscrew the bezel ring and screw on the filter. Lenses are held in by another ring on the inside that is knurled. Comes with the glass diffuser in place and coated glass R,Y,G,B lenses.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast

The TN11 has a smooth reflector while the Eagletac spots an OP reflector which is a bit overkill imho. In fact, neither of the two has any beam artifact. The beam pattern is really nice.
I hope EagleTac would make G25C2 with smooth reflector. As you noticed, XM-L gives really smooth beam with SMO and I don't think there's a reason to kill some throw with light texture.
I know the TN11 is not very good in regulation with a 18650. How does the G25C2 compare in that regard?
EagleTac claim they tried to keep low dropout voltage. If it's true regulation should be quite flat.

Last edited:

EPVQ30

Newly Enlightened

Im sure we'll be able to get a smo reflector in time. It is completely customizable.

jcalvert

Enlightened

Thank you for taking the time to provide these initial impressions, they have been insightful!

If the G25C2's lux from your reading is ~17K or (ET's reported @ ~15.1K), and the T20C2 MKII XP-G-R5/OP is ~9.8K ("selfbuilt", 3/07/2010), that's conservatively a 50+% increase. Nice!

So the only "potential" drawback that an individual user may find, is in the fact that the bezel lacks detents or markings to accurately determine what level it has been set, prior to ignition. However, you found that while the light is off, the spacing is otherwise adequate enough, that if for example, you begin with the bezel in the tightened position, you can quickly learn by feel, how far to twist the bezel to get from the tightened bezel-mode to the next mode and so on for all four modes within the pre-chosen mode group. If that's the case, then no big deal! Although dropping a card into ET's suggestion box may get them to improve that by adding some form of mode identification, the G25C2 otherwise looks like the T20 replacement I've been hoping for.

As far as the lens kit, as I mentioned above it's extremely high quality. Matches the anodizing of the light and and has a metal "catch" to hold it closed. No spring, it's stiff enough to stay open against the body when opened on it's own. You unscrew the bezel ring and screw on the filter. Lenses are held in by another ring on the inside that is knurled. Comes with the glass diffuser in place and coated glass R,Y,G,B lenses.

Hello "Fitz". I apologize for having missed your report on the lens kit, but I do thank you for your impressions, and now ask out of curiosity, did ET include a pocket or some other form of storage on the holster for the extra lenses when not in use?

Thank you both!

Last edited:

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you for taking the time to provide these initial impressions, they have been insightful!

Hello "Fitz". I apologize for having missed your report on the lens kit, but I do thank you for your impressions, and now ask out of curiosity, did ET include a pocket or some other form of storage on the holster for the extra lenses when not in use?

Thank you both!

Nope, comes in a small box with the extra lenses in a separate ziploc bag (each lens in it's own plastic pouch). Take a look at some camera filter pouches if you need better storage.

superpila

Newly Enlightened
I measured the current at the tailcap with a good multimeter. Here is what I got with a freshly out of charger unprotected Panasonic 3100Mah:
Eagletac G25C2 (U2): 1.82A
Thrunite TN11: (T6): 2.15A
Eagletac T20C2 (R5): 1.2A

Lux at one meter:

Eagletac G25C2 (U2): ~17000
Thrunite TN11: ~20000
Eagletac T20C2 (R5): ~8500

Again, I don't trust 100% my Luxmeter for absolute values, but I think that at least it gives an idea of the relative throw.
I also took some pictures, although, not having my DSLR with me, quality is not the greatest.

TN11, G25C2, T20C2:
g25c21.jpg

g25c22.jpg

TN11 on the left, G25C2 on the right:
g25c23.jpg

White wall shots. Approx 1 meter from the wall. G25C2 on the left, TN11 on the right:
g25c24.jpg

different exposure. Even with this cheap camera, the better tint of the eagletac is evident:
g25c25.jpg

one stop underexposed:
g25c26.jpg

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks superpila. So again, is it immediately obvious that the Thrunite throws better? I mean visually? Or do you only notice a very very slight difference that is noticeable when you compare them side by side?

superpila

Newly Enlightened
Thanks superpila. So again, is it immediately obvious that the Thrunite throws better? I mean visually? Or do you only notice a very very slight difference that is noticeable when you compare them side by side?

I don't think it's really obvious unless you measure it. Even in a side by side comparison it's actually very difficult to spot it. I went out for a walk tonight and tried to shine both flashlights at different distant targets and I couldn't really notice much difference. On the other end, I think that the difference in spill was noticeable instead (the Eagletac having just a bit more). The T20C2, of course, is completely outperformed in throw by any of the two, and you don't even need to leave the house to see it :).
It's still a great flashlight though. Smaller and lighter, and on a Panasonic 3100Mah it runs forever!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think it's really obvious unless you measure it. Even in a side by side comparison it's actually very difficult to spot it. I went out for a walk tonight and tried to shine both flashlights at different distant targets and I couldn't really notice much difference. On the other end, I think that the difference in spill was noticeable instead (the Eagletac having just a bit more). The T20C2, of course, is completely outperformed in throw by any of the two, and you don't even need to leave the house to see it :).
It's still a great flashlight though. Smaller and lighter, and on a Panasonic 3100Mah it runs forever!
Sounds great! I don't have the Thrunite but I was glad I made the right choice. I don't mind to sacrifice a bit of throw for more spill even though this Eagletac purchase was meant to fill the medium throw category.