The Official Zebralight Thread .

ven

Flashaholic
Wonder why they are concentrating on the flood versions. Would love a 4000k 93+ Cri 50.2 without the frosted lense.

Me too as i find the reflector based ZL floody enough. Would have thought to do with the quad die and smoothing out the beam. A way around would be to rough the dome up a bit ,giving it a slight frost effect.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder why they are concentrating on the flood versions. Would love a 4000k 93+ Cri 50.2 without the frosted lense.

Me too as i find the reflector based ZL floody enough. Would have thought to do with the quad die and smoothing out the beam. A way around would be to rough the dome up a bit ,giving it a slight frost effect.

Me three.

I also find it strange they used the XHP50 in this new frosted version when they have 4000K High CRI XHP50.2 emitters in stock to be used in the floody headlamp "c&d" models:thinking:.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
So many new models:hairpull:. I have the SC64c and SC600w MKIV Plus coming and I just ordered a H502c L2 for reading in bed to tide me over until they arrive(had been thinking about getting this for a while). I also have wanted an SC600w HI for a while and now this SC600Fc MKIV is tempting too:drool:. ZL may be getting a lot of money from me this year:ohgeez:.

terjee

Enlightened
Me three.

I'm tempted to say me four.

I have the SC64c on preorder, will add the SC600Fc as well, but I'd probably be interested if there was a non-floody 4000K High CRI XHP50.2 in the SC600-family.

I asked them about if there would be an SC600Fc, and within hours I got an email back saying something along the lines of "I just added that to the site minutes ago". I'm wondering if the same thing would happen if one of you guys ask about an SC600c with 4K high CRI XHP50.2?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me three.

I also find it strange they used the XHP50 in this new frosted version when they have 4000K High CRI XHP50.2 emitters in stock to be used in the floody headlamp "c&d" models:thinking:.
It is strange. That's also why I went with the SC600w IV...... no frosted lens. I imagine at some point they WILL come out with the 50.2 c and d versions for the SC600, so if that's what you're after, it might be worth waiting for, however, it's worth noting that both the c & d 50.2 headlamps are only being offered with a frosted lens at this time. Hmmmmm.........

Personally, I've got a feeling the 4500 color temp of the 50.2 w version is going to be right on target, and if not, I'll bet it's close enough that a bit of filtration will get it where it needs to be.

NPL

Enlightened
+1

An h600c with xhp50.2 4000k 93 CRI with reflector would be perfect!

Glock27

Enlightened
Damn you Zebralight! Pre-Ordered a 64W. Couple days later I ended up ordering a 64c and H604c and, of course, some more cells. Couple days after that I absolutely had to order a SC600 Mk IV Plus and even more cells....

G27

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm really proud of my self for holding back on these new lights. I only ordered the SC600w IV HI to replace the III. Not much of a move but I wanted the new UI. I don't use my SC63w often, so I can't justify adding or replacing. But that SC64c/w is on my radar, waiting for some reviews.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really proud of my self for holding back on these new lights. I only ordered the SC600w IV HI to replace the III. Not much of a move but I wanted the new UI. I don't use my SC63w often, so I can't justify adding or replacing.But that SC64c/w is on my radar, waiting for some reviews.

Yep, that's some good self control Mark:thumbsup:. I am up to 3 lights now since the pre-order started:oops:

Why do you need to wait for reviews of the SC64c/w? It is basically your SC63w with the upgraded UI and the exact same emitter for the "w" or the exact same emitter as in your SC5c MKII for the "c". Aside from the tint lottery, it will have the exact same tint and beam as your SC63w and SC5c MKII but, the "c" will likely be less yellowish on the higher levels due to it being driven harder. It sounds like there are no other changes but, possibly the new style clip.

If it helps, I can let you know how the SC64c is when I get mine. I should be one of the first to get it is I ordered minutes after the pre-order opened.

Last edited:

tompen41

Newly Enlightened
You are not alone, I did almost the same thing! Ordered the SC600w Mk IV Plus even though I have the SC600 MK lll Hi, then ordered the SC64w even though I have the SC63w!

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Why do you need to wait for reviews of the SC64c/w?

I just want to see if there is a strong bias towards a specific tint. I'm always an early adopter, occasionally getting screwed with a green or some other weird issue. I'm sure it will be OK but I want to wait on this one. I just don't use my SC63w enough to get excited about updating. I do use my H600w all the time, so I should update that one...almost 5 years old now!

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just want to see if there is a strong bias towards a specific tint. I'm always an early adopter, occasionally getting screwed with a green or some other weird issue. I'm sure it will be OK but I want to wait on this one. I just don't use my SC63w enough to get excited about updating. I do use my H600w all the time, so I should update that one...almost 5 years old now!

Well, as far as the SC64c is concerned there is about an 80-90% chance of getting a sample above the BBL(unless ZL is cherry picking) and it is 4000K nominal so, it will almost definitely be fairly yellow with the worst samples being slightly greenish. The SC64w will have the same chances at the tint lottery as the SC63w did as it uses an identical emitter.

I will post when I get my SC64c though to let you know how it is. Keep in mind, as you know, this won't matter much when it come to tint as the lottery will be as much at play as ever.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if Zebralight is updating the PID in the MKIV lights for a smoother step down when needing to cool off.

I didn't really like how noticeable the level change was in my MKIII as it stepped down. It almost seemsed to flicker as output was decreaseing.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if Zebralight is updating the PID in the MKIV lights for a smoother step down when needing to cool off.

I didn't really like how noticeable the level change was in my MKIII as it stepped down. It almost seemsed to flicker as output was decreaseing.
ZL already has the smoothest thermal step-down of any company on the market that I know of(close to 400 brightness levels I believe). And, they also have the most accurate thermal management due to putting the temperature sensor on the same MCPCB as the LED(no one else does this that I am aware of). So, I don't know what more you could expect? Small high output lights like these have to get dimmer quickly to control the heat and you are going to notice it no matter what. If you want it to step down slower(less noticeable) then I suggest you use H2 or H3 instead of H1. That will make the light not get hot so fast and in turn make the step-down less aggressive.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are others who put the temp sensor on the mcpcb. You can even get "hobbyist" parts like that now - see led4power.com. None of that changes the fact that you're right though. Zebra does thermal control right, as good as any and much better than most. And as for making it smoother, I think that's a physics limitation, because over the past few years the lights have gotten both stronger (hotter) and smaller. You can't cheat the laws of physics.

TCY

Enlightened
With ZL's current PID it would step down a bit more smoothly if the temp setting gets cranked up. Don't know if I'd recommend it though, 53 C is a very well thought out level by ZL.