The perfect flashlight / This is a tricky one: (too) many criteria to meet!?

spiderwire

Newly Enlightened
Edited Post:

I wouldn't say the SC600 is impressive. It is for a flashaholic, however for a newbie or someone unfamiliar with flashlights, (in my opinion) I would definatley go for something with a bit more throw. To a newbie, and even to myself, throw definatley is more impressive than super-flood. In my opinion, I would be more impressed DEFINATLEY by something that throws, not floods. Sounds like the XT11 is a good mix. You wouldn't really need a diffuser for that either, it dosen't have a really tight hotspot. You could also consider an Olight M20X or M21X. They are around $90 with a diffuser INCLUDED.

well, that's probably the best advice I have gotten yet.
The Olight M20X looks great and I wonder howcome I haven't come across it on my own. Really has it all - almost. I wish there was 1-2 additional modes available, 500 to 100 lumes seems like quite a big jump. nevertheless, it is gonna be in my final candidates.

You can also consider Surefire P2X Fury. It has a nice useable spot with a decent spill. Dual output and a lifetime warranty to keep your investment safe.

thanks, but the P2X Fury is well above my budget range.

So I think it will come down to one of the following lights:

1. JETBEAM PC25 (+ cheap, + diffuser available, + sideswitch)
2. JETBEAM RRT-21 (+rotary switch with adjustable output, + diffuser available, - not "visually-linear output ramp", -expensive)
3. Eagletac G25C (+ perfect mode selection, + diffuser attachment, - head twisting to select modes, - diffuser kit $ 40)
4. Olight M20-X (+ diffuser included, +cheap, + sideswitch, - missing a fourth output mode)
5. Klarus XT11 (+cheap, + diffuser available, + dual switch, - missing a fourth mode)

(6. Zebralight SC600 (+ perfect flood, + perfect modes, - "almost" no throwing abilities, - expensive, -not the prettiest light on the planet :))

thanks a lot for your support, I will keep on reading and hopefully come to a descision soon

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Isn't LUX really just the light intensity usually over a 1m^2 area at the hotspot (or other area)? Usually used to estimate throw, based on the intensity of the hotspot? (forgive me if you think this is a stupid question).

Someone make this a sticky thread somewhere. Very good for beginners.

No, lux is not ONLY that, lux is essentially a way of expressing what reflects back to the observer. (The "light intensity" is what we SEE, measured in Lux)

The REASON it is ALSO used to express throw is that if the lux is higher in the center of the beam, the light will throw better...as more of the LUMENS are being through up the middle for a strike on the target its aimed at.

To measure that, a light meter (Which measures lux...) is used to aim the light at, and, a CENTRAL measurement is taken to get the beam's intensity at the center.

As you can CALCULATE the intensity at a given distance if you KNOW the intensity at a different distance, the distance that the beam will still have 0.25 lux at, is considered it's "throw".

For the purpose of standardization, we correct the MEASUREMENTS back to 1 meter....so when we talk about throw in lux, we use the one meter lux...even if we measured it at a different range.

The reason for THAT is that beams do not always produce the REPRESENTATIVE lux AT one meter itself...the stronger the thrower, typically, the further way from the light you are when you find the representative lux point.

So, a strong throwing light, MEASURED AT 1 meter, might produce an equation that indicates that it will drop down to 0.25 lux at, say 600 meters (throw range)...

But in practice, a MEASUREMENT at 600 meters might still show more than 0.25 lux....an under representation.

The same light measured at 10 meters, might produce a more representative equation that predicts 800 meters as being the range that the intensity dropped to 0.25 lux, and so forth.

So to make it easier to COMPARE throw, the 10 m measurement would be back calculated to a representative (higher) lux at 1 M value.

But lux is, again, just a way of measuring intensity of the light...how bright does the TARGET LOOK?

If daylight cast upon a target produces 10,000 to 25,000 lux....that is waaay brighter than a flashlight will make a DISTANT target look. A light rated at 10,000 lux will produce that ~ at one meter, ~ at the center of its hot spot.

In practice, the beams spread out as distance increases, and the same number of lumens become progressively more spread out...so the size of the target that is illuminated with the STRONGEST intensity becomes a smaller and smaller fraction of the overall output.

So the lux at 1 meter #'s tell you ONLY at what range the TARGET's brightest part is lit at the 0.25 lux level.

Lux itself can ALSO describe what your desk lighting is producing on your desk surface, or how well lit a crawlspace is, or an exit sign.

:D

spiderwire

Newly Enlightened
I have the Fury too, and the beam is very similar to the XT11's, with a touch more throw bias and a touch less flood bias...,but in use, very very similar.

I prefer the XT11 as it has a low low, in addition to a medium and a high, whereas the Fury has only a high/med equivalent.

In practice, that adds a lot of flexibility.

aww, dang. forgot the xt11. I will edit the list.
oh, and "cheap" is meant as "inexpensive", same as above. haha.

I guess I will substitute it for the sc600.
love the klarus. I imagine the following modes would be more useful: turbo, high, mid, low (400, 150-200, 50-100, 0.5-10 lumens e.g.).

5. Klarus XT11 (+ cheap, + diffuser optional, - missing a fourth mode)

Last edited:

LGT

Enlightened
I wouldn't say the SC600 is impressive. It is for a flashaholic, however for a newbie or someone unfamiliar with flashlights, (in my opinion) I would definatley go for something with a bit more throw. To a newbie, and even to myself, throw definatley is more impressive than super-flood. In my opinion, I would be more impressed DEFINATLEY by something that throws, not floods. Sounds like the XT11 is a good mix. You wouldn't really need a diffuser for that either, it dosen't have a really tight hotspot. You could also consider an Olight M20X or M21X. They are around $90 with a diffuser INCLUDED.
It's definitely not a thrower, but it's sheer output will probably impress as to how much a flood can illuminate. While I agree with wanting a light that could light up the world, I now find that they're less used then something that can be used for close up needs as well as something at a little distance. For this, the SC600 is very impressive. 0.1 to 750 lumens, how many other lights have that range?

Last edited:

schmart

Newly Enlightened
Spiderwire,
You asked if I had other lights to compensate for the lack of throw.
I do not have any other "high end" lights and probably won't get any for a while. I have too many other hobbies fighting for funds.
However, I do have a 3D Mag LED that certainly will out throw the Zebra. If I want to see out into the corn/soybean field, that is what I use. I keep it on the kitchen counter for use by other family members when they let the dog out after dark. But, it really doesn't have that much WOW factor and for as far as the dog gets, the zebra would work just fine. I just don't want to leave my $90 light sitting on the counter for my 13 year old to lose :)

Now, to muddy the water even more for you, in reality, my favorite light has been the ITP A3 EOS. I used it as my daily EDC for about 18 months until I misplaced it. For general use it more than meets my needs and is so small it almost disappears in my pocket. (Probably why I misplaced it). In comparison, the Zebralight is a monster in both size and brightness. I've about given up on finding the ITP and am getting close to purchasing a replacement. I probably wouldn't be in a hurry to replace the Zebralight, but I'm also not interested in selling it :)

--Rick

spiderwire

Newly Enlightened
ah ok rick, thanks for that information.
and thanks to all of you for giving me your ideas on the question.

I finally came to a decision and order a jetbeam pc25. felt like it was the best bargain for the money. I would have gone for either the klarus or the olight, if it hadnt been for that missing middle mode..
the zebralight is probably gonna be my next flashlight, depending on how satisfied i will be with the pc25 :))

I guess for my preferences the best of the bunch really would have been the eagletac g25c, it really has everything I need and is still quite a bit brighter than the pc25.
but vor a total novice to flashlights I felt I wasnt gonna need the expansion tubes for 3 cr123 or 2 18650 batteries, and just for the - admittedly cool - diffuser lens, 40 EUR was too much.

I also ordered the jetbeam diffuser cap, I will also try, if the fenix lantern adapter will fit on the pc25. in that case I would be all set up for my holiday in Italy :)

I just got the light yesterday and so far I am more than satisfied. the light it casts is awesome, very smooth and no artifacts at all. and since this is my first led flashlight, I am really overwelmed by the output of this light. on turbo mode (408 lm) it illuminates the entire room if I direct the beam at the ceiling. never seen anything like this before.

I also like the sideswitch a lot. sure, it takes a bit of getting used to, in order to find the correct position of the switch in total darkness, but I have gotten a lot better already and I am sure, that I will also be able to operate the switch with gloves on in winter.

Its very convenient to switch between the modes with just one switch and it makes the handling of the light very easy.

I also think the light has a decent relation of throw and flood, it lights up everything close by and I can still see things in about 50m away from me. just what I wanted..
I am really satisfied with my decision so far.

again, thank you all for your support!