The poor flashaholics top 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

notrefined

Enlightened
Lynx_Arc said:
I have a few to add.... coleman micro fluorescent lanterns for about $5.

Could you elaborate on this item? I've not heard of/seen this before, sounds interesting!

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
I'd have to add the Dorcy Metal Gear LED light... it runs off of cheap AAA's, is fairly bright, goes for about $20, and most of all...

...you can buy it at Wal-Mart!

Of course, it has all the drawbacks of a cheap light: so-so anodizing, a pocket clip that's easily bent, and QC that justifies the price of most Surefires...

jbrams

Newly Enlightened
I'm a total newbie and looking to get invovled on the cheap, here's the short list I've composed.

Really cheap keychains
(1) $0.60 keychain LED from Emilion (http://emilionworkshop.com:3072/oscommerce/catalog/)
(2) $1.25 keychain LED plus $1.10 35mcd LED from KevinL = $2.35 turnkey (photon clone)
(*)$1.00 keychain from countycomm.com ($26 for $20 shipped)

More expensive, but still affordable keychain
(4) Photon Freedom Micro ($14 shipped) [eBay]

Small and cheap AA or AAA
(5) Dorcy AA (or AAA) ($6) [walmart]
(6) Xnova AA 8LED new version ($6 plus shipping) [alternatively, the "R" version for similar price]

Cheap 2AAA or 2AA
(7) River rock AAA($10) [target]
-Mini Maglite upgrade (assuming you've already got one of these sitting around):
(8) Niteze 2AA Mag Upgrade $5 [target]
(9) MJLED http://home.mchsi.com/~lambda2/mjled2.htm ($5? Plus shipping)

Cheap headlamp
(10) River rock headlamp ($14) [target]

Cheap LED Lantern
(11) River Rock Lantern AA ($20) [target]

Big and bright – 3D
(12) Dorcy 1-Watt luxeon LED 3D ($21) [target]

Entry cheap luxeon
(13) Streamlight polypro 4AA ($29 shipped) http://www.fox-intl.com/item.asp?id=338

Already in this light fanaticism thing for about $100 but $70 of that is for X-mas presents.
Any suggestions on what to add to or remove from my list?

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I have to agree with Wwglen and his $20 or under list when we're talking a "poor man's list".

balazer

Enlightened
Energizer 15-minute charger. Practically the best NiMH charger anywhere, for $27 w/ four batteries?

My favorite keychain light: the Sona Enterprises Arc AAA clone: <$5
http://search.ebay.com/flashlight-a...ngwholesaleQQsspagenameZSTRKQ3aMEFSRCHQ3aSRCH
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1132348

Smartfire 3W 2AA: $20
http://emilionworkshop.com:3072/osc...d=231&osCsid=1606873db8635d6652971850e8e27a30

Dae's 3W 1 x CR123 combo: 2 li-ion cells + charger: $27 shipped
http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/luxeon-flashlight-2x600ma-rechargeables-nano-intel-charg-p-208.html

Dae's 3W V2 regulated 1 x CR123 V2: $19.20 shipped
http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/regulated-cr123a-suitable-lir123a-p-322.html

Dae's 3W V2 regulated combo w/ two protected lithium ion cells, charger, holster: $34.60 shipped
max 2200 lux on a lithium ion cell
http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/regulated-2x750mah-protected-nano-charger-holster-p-341.html

Flame

Newly Enlightened
Wow, this is a great thread...

Id like to add the Element from Sams Club with a 1 watt LED and you can get a two pack for 26 bucks. Thats a 13.00 light that really impressed me.

Also at samd is te twin-pack of Cyclops Xenon 2x123 at $20.00 for two is a bargain. Not as bright or as clean a beam as a Surefire G2 but what do you want for 10 bucks.

greenLED

Flashaholic
KevinL said:
I'd name the CMG/Gerber Infinity, but its time is past.

I'd say it's still a valuable backup light to have because of its tough design and long runtime. I don't know about the redesigned version, though...

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the re-designed version of the Infinity still qualifies though comparison is hard because my old ones are Red and Amber while my new ones are both white

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lantern worthy of a CPfer - the UK Vectra was $23 at BrightGuy. It's so good that I got two last year. Runs on 4Ds and with rechargeables you can add their 18 watt lamp for bright, dual levels. Waterproof and has a sturdy metal stand that's not intrusive when not in use. I think it retailed for $50 - $70.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow!:naughty:

I'm thinking viable options here for replacing my SL Jr. Thanks for turning me on to these inexpensive options.
So you guys own these and like them? The Dae and Smartfire look good, but I also saw a replacement module from Emillion that will fit in my G2. Wonder what the runtime is like.
Anyplace to go read reviews on these lights? at these prices I can get a whole gaggle full!

DaveT

Enlightened
Great lists here - lots I'll have to check out.
One I'd add is the Innovage 12LED lantern - runs on 4D cells. RiteAid occasionally carries them, and they're available regularly at Boscov's stores, or at boscov.com - last I checked they were $9.99. Not the best quality, but a solid value at $10.
Dave

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll add another vote for the 3D Dorcy Luxeon. I got mine for $21.99 at Target. It has good output, great throw, and a simple and sturdy design. If Dorcy continues to make products like this, who cares if Mag never gets around to using LEDs?

As far as the upper price limit goes, I usually think of the $30-$35 range as the point where you start to see diminishing returns on performance (for household and shop use) compared to what you pay. Twenty dollars is probably closer to what people will pay in stores.

paulr

Flashaholic
In no particular order:

1. cheap 5mm keychain led (KevinL, Emilion, etc). Give these to everyone you know.
2. Arc AAA or Peak Matterhorn. These are not the highest bang-for-buck lights, but flashaholism is also about connoisseurship.
3. Fenix L1/L1P. (Note: I'll omit the Nuwai Q3, still a good light but I think the Fenix makes it redundant).
4. Elektrolumens Anglelux, highly functional light that shows something about modding. Or maybe Blaster 1R.
5. Gerber Infinity Ultra, unfortunately not as nice as the older CMG's but still a decent light, very practical, runs fine on the worst crap of zinc-carbon AA cells.
6. "Police" 2x123 xenon light available from Lighthound etc. Much cheaper than a Surefire G2, doesn't need expensive bulb/reflector assemblies, etc.
7. Princeton Tec Surge, cheap lumens in a 2C sized package. Alternate: Tec40
8. Princeton Tec Aurora (or EOS?), you have to have a handsfree light to see how important it can be. Alternative: Petzl Zipka+
9. Vector spotlight or something comparable. You don't need a $300 Surefire M6 to light up a football field.
10. (Not a flashlight) Energizer CH15 NiMH charger with car adapter and four 2500 mAH cells, use in AA powered lights (ok, need 8 cells for Surge). You don't need to be bled dry buying batteries all the time.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you add up the cost of 10 cheap lights, you have the $$ for one or two decent lights!! :)

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. KevinL's Keychain LED w/35K bulb.
I got my order the other day, and I couldn't be happier. These things are super bright, and at only $2.35 each (if you do it yourself) they are very inexpensive.
2. River Rock 2AAA
Only $10.80 at Target (after tax), and has some sweet runtime and is pretty bright as well. Beam is a little blue, but I kind of like it.
3. Dorcy 1AAA
$5.40 at Walmart (after tax), has very good runtime, and the beam is good enough for most close up work. Good light for a first time LED person.
4. Nite Ize LED Drop In
Costs $5.30 at Walmart (after tax) and makes the 2AA Minimag a real winner. Has great flood and the battery life is AWESOME!!! The brightness might not be out of this world, but it impresses the non Flashaholic.
5. River Rock Lantern 4AA
Only around $20 at Target and worth every penny. Has amazing runtime, and is extremely bright for how small it is. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a low feature, and it does have an unbelievably annoying strobe feature.

I don't have the Element, but as soon as Flashlightreviews does a review of it (as long as it does well) I am going to buy one A.S.A.P.
I also just ordered the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon today because of all the praise it has received recently.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
adirondackdestroyer said:
I don't have the Element, but as soon as Flashlightreviews does a review of it (as long as it does well) I am going to buy one A.S.A.P.
I also just ordered the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon today because of all the praise it has received recently.

The Sam's Element lights are awesome! I picked up a pack of 2 at my local Sam's a month ago. It puts out almost as much usable light as the SL 4AA ProPoly Luxeon. Runtime is impressive considering it uses 3 AAA batteries.

bruner

Enlightened
Nice Lists :)

I'm relatively new to CPF. Since I can't spend mega$ on new lights, I've restricted myself to "keychain" sized lights. It works out nice because I change the light on my keychain every day and get to "play" with my flashlights more often...

I already had an ARC AAA, a MAG Solitare. Since I started collecting (only a few weeks ago, thanks for the new addiction CPF!) I've added three lights from Coast Ledlenser. They are well made, all metal and I didn't spend more than $12 on any of them.

Here's a pic of my current collection:
http://www.geocities.com/danielbruner/share/flashlight-03.jpg

My Led lensers are:

4th light from the left, Mini Tac Torch

6th light from the left, V8 ultra violet

7th light from the left, V8 white

I have another Lenser on order for Christmas, it's a "Tac Torch 4 Color Recon Light". Found it for $30 plus shipping. It's more the size of my modified TaskForce light (that's the first light on the left in my collection photo), but I'll still put it on my keychain ;)

Dan

Last edited:

Irongen

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight TL-3 ($65) Green are being clearanced at under $50 right now.

Where at? Any places online have this price? I'd pick one up in a heartbeat if I could find it for that amount.

igabo

Enlightened
Definetely River Rock; only 10.81 with tax from Target; regulated, brighter than many lights in the same range, excellent beam...

Also, PT Rage, PT Tec 40, and PT Blast. The whole PT line actually.. great lights, bright, and a lot of bang for your buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.