The poor flashaholics top 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrighTor

Newly Enlightened
Thought I'd bump this great thread with another addition:

The new LED penlight from Energizer sells for $6.99 at Target and is great for up-close work, has a slim form-factor (it IS a penlight) and was still bright enough for me to navigate in my yard during the power outage we had on Monday night.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'll second BrighTor's mention of the Energizer Penlight. Mine has been seeing lots of use as an around the house light. Good bang for the buck.

Geoff

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
I saw a nice Taskforce keychain light today at Lowes,4.97 and it said brass.
Runs on 3 watch batteies.Looked well built.No I didnt get it.I wasnt buying anthing else.

KreweRoux

Newly Enlightened
twentysixtwo,

Hi, new guy here. Could you elaborate on the mod you were talking about #7. I don't quite understand the AA-AAA-1 D conversion. And could you detail a little more about the copper wiring. I would like to make a modded flashlight, not a pipe bomb <L> Thanks Or maybe you have a better more simple first mod? I have ahost of 2d mag sitting around.

KreweRoux

Newly Enlightened
twentysixtwo,

Hi, new guy here. Could you elaborate on the mod you were talking about #7. I don't quite understand the AA-AAA-1 D conversion. And could you detail a little more about the copper wiring. I would like to make a modded flashlight, not a pipe bomb <L> Thanks Or maybe you have a better more simple first mod? I have ahost of 2d mag sitting around.

vector_joe

Newly Enlightened
KreweRoux said:
twentysixtwo,

Hi, new guy here. Could you elaborate on the mod you were talking about #7.

7) Mag 3D with 8 AA in 3AA to 1D adapters and a 7.2v KPR18 bulb ($18+$11+$1.40 = $30.40 not including batteries). Plug and play mod, I call this the "poor man's Mag85" Pumps out maximumlight without forcing you to swap out reflector, lens, etc. Just be careful with "hot" NIMH or alkies so you don't instaflash - use 8 batteries to be safe. Dummy cells are easy to make with some bare copper wire and a wooden dowel.

I don't quite understand the AA-AAA-1 D conversion. And could you detail a little more about the copper wiring. I would like to make a modded flashlight, not a pipe bomb <L> Thanks Or maybe you have a better more simple first mod? I have ahost of 2d mag sitting around.

Welcome to cpf. I'm new here too.

At the Sandwich shop http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_56_73&products_id=779, you can get an adapter that takes 3 AA batteries and puts them into the space of 1 D battery. It is actually a 9AA to 3D adapter. (There is a 2d-8AA holder, but I'm not sure if that fits properly in the mag tube.) Fill it with 8AA and one AA dummy (or spacer). Then you put that into the Mag so your source is now about 12 volts rather than 4.5 volts. The kpr18 is a replacement bulb that runs 7.2v. I'm not sure if it is equivalent to the KPR118 bulb which is available at radioshack? They are both listed at 7.2 volts, but one is 600mA and the other is listed at 550ma... not sure.

Allnew2me

Enlightened
Anyone interested in getting the TL-3 from Amazon, if you enter TOOLS10P into the promotion code box you get an additional 10% off. I used it and I just used it again on a Streamlight Argo HP headlamp. One of the members of CPF shared that a bit ago and I thought I'd pass it along.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
VectorJoe described it correctly. The KPR18 and KPR118 are basically the same bulb. I may have been mistaken on the number rat shack uses. Even cheaper would be to put 2 of the 3 AA to D in a 2D mag and a 5 cell bulb, but now you're really shaving dollars off.

The dummy cell is if you take a wooden dowel the size of a AA battery and wrap it the long way with some copper wire. Wrap some tape on the sides so it won't short and you now have a very cheap dummy cell

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about; Wolf Eyes 9TX Raider Tactical Flashlight, 200 lumens with a second 4x LED light source. If you are a member at Pacific Tactical Solutions its $44.96, and you can run 2x 18500 cells in it.....I would dare to say that its a better choice than the ever popular TL-3....

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I posted in this thread quite some time back. But I've just read through it again and have a few new comments.

Someone mentioned Sears Rubber 4AA lights. I have one right here in front of me with 4NimH and a lightly frosted 3 cell Xenon bulb. It has a wonderful spot with soft edges and good/great spill. I consider it a really nice Incandescent light.

The Sears 3D Rubber is also a worthy contender. With an unfrosted KPR103 and 3xALk FujiNovells it isn't quite as white as my 4AA but has every bit as nice of beam.

Both of these lights come in at well under $20

Since I posted back then, I've acquired 4AA and 3C LUX SL ProPolys. What can I say about them that hasn't already been mentioned? My 4AA has a GREAT beam. Spot blending into a still pretty bright corona tapering off into good spill. I'd say whatever you have to do to get one or both should be considered!!!

And the most recent additions to my collection are M*gled products! 2,3 and 4 cell drop ins, and 2AA and 3AA Minim*gLeds.

At a bit under $20 for the drop ins, and still under $30 for the complete AA lights I feel they are bargains! The Minis have great reflectors that allow flood with no holes!!!

Luxeon Lottery is still in play with the SLs and M*gs, but it isn't as pronounced as in the "old" days....

I'll reiterate that the River Rock 2AA Handheld, and the 2AA Headlight are GREAT stuff for about $10 and $15 respectively!

The Energizer LED penlight is another bargain, though it feels a trifle cheesy.

For many people the Dorcy 1W 1x123 might be the ultimate small light. It's about $20.

It wasn't bright/focused enough for my needs and I sent off $44.95 for a Fenix P1...

It's way outside of the $20 range, but I feel I got a deal!!!

Enough rambling....

LEDism

Newly Enlightened
I have the 1.5W 1AA Coast LED Lenser, and I like it so far. It's just under $20 at Wal-Mart, and comes with a holster.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheap set up that I could easily live with...

Fauxton - ketchain light - $1 a pop

Fenix E1 - neck lanyard back-up light - $25 delivered (to the UK)

Civictor V1 - pocket/belt light - $30 delivered (to the UK)

Huntlight FT-01 - jacket pocket light - $41 delivered (to the UK)

That's a full personal light kit for under $100 delivered (add a Fenix E0 for keychain and it still comes in at under $120).

BTW, I've only listed lights I have personal experience with (bar the E0) all three that I've mentioned are stunning VFM and great performers IMO.

CFU

flame2000

Enlightened
Casual Flashlight User said:
Cheap set up that I could easily live with...

Huntlight FT-01 - jacket pocket light - $41 delivered (to the UK)

CFU

Hi CFU,
How's the runtime for this FT-01 on primary 2xCR123A?
Is it brighter than Nuwai TM-301X-3?

Thanks!:)

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Flame,

I'm still on my first set of cells (primaries) with the Huntlight, I've probably only used it for about an hour (two at most) but I have not percieved any drop in the light level as yet...it's still very bright.

As for claimed output, it's rated at 80 lumens but I've read reports from folks here that it's probably more like 60 lumens, and comparing it to my HDS EDC U60GT I would be inclined to agree with the 60 lumen rating.

Make no mistake though...this is still a fantastic light for the money IMHO (it also has a proper AR coated glass lens and T-binned luxeon...unlike the Nuwai's which have polycarb lens and S-binned luxeons as I understand it).

Informative thread about the FT-01 here...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/121739

Hope some of this helps.
smile.gif

CFU

bimemrboy318

Enlightened
How about the WalMart Valu Brite 2AA 84 cent flashilght bored out with 2XCR2 or 2XCR123 with a Mag 3 cell Krypton bulb. Just frost the bulb to get of artifacts but this rivals any tactical 6V light!

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luxogen would need to be on this list! Lr5 3 watt 1 cr123 or rcr for 24.95 shipped!Very white ! WOW

roadndirt

Newly Enlightened
OK, you price concious guys. I'm with you. Here is my post from the spotlight thread. Can you help? This thread is mch more visited.

Presently using a cheap Garrity 6V i beam lantern from Wal-Mart.
This is what I use it for.
I participate in Rogaines, which is basically a 24 hour orienteering meet, so it goes right through the night. We have to find controls out in the woods and hills which have point values. Most points wins. So you can see the value of continuing through the night and getting as many controls as possible before the 24 hours runs out.
I use the Garrity 6V to spot the controls at night because they do have a piece of reflective tape hanging on them. The light allows me to scan down into a ravine or across to the other side of the ravine or valley or uphill and downhill while searching.
The Garrity does the job. It seems to throw a concentrated beam sufficient to reflect back the control at 100-200 feet or more.
I cannot find any info on lux/lumen/watts on this Garrity to even begin to compare it.
What I would like to do is find a light that is equal in distance/brightness but less bulky and not as heavy. Preferably with a long enough run time to last through a long night, although it is only used intermittently. I use my headlamp for making my way to the general area before using the spot.

This is the light.
http://www.garritylites.com/page104.html

I am going to look at some of the lights mentioned on this thread, but they are hard to try out and compare unless I buy them.
Tonight I will go down by he creek here and measure the beam and distance of the Garrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.