The poorest qualitity LED light I've ever bought

Norm

Retired Administrator
:awman: I put this up as a warning to others. I didn't put it up to be judged. Some people like to gamble on the neddies, and I took a gamble on this light, no biggy, I guess some of you have never taken a risk and fallen flat on your bum. I know for a fact that one other member who has posted on this page bought one as well, with the intention of just trying it out. Remember 7 Watt Golston, I wonder who was the first member to try one? after they wrote a very glowing (lil' joke there) report members here couldn't get enough.
Norm

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
Norm,

SS Ultrafire Crees are coming soon. :)

Damn you Matt! You have alot of interesting stuff coming. I'm never going to be able to decide what to spend my peanuts on!

xiaowenzu said:
hehe, that's why I stick with reputable Brand names such as Surefire, LRI, and other quality companies. My motto is why buy 10 crappy flashlights when you can get 3 excellent/expensive ones?

Thats how I usually shop, but every once in awahile I break down and buy a few cheap-o items. Then its just a matter of making sure I loose the cheap ones!

I've never played the ebay lottery though. Sorry to see you got burned there Norm.
:awman:

aljsk8

Enlightened
i was tempted by this too - as im a sucker for stainless too (ss civictor with seoul)

glad you pointed out the weekness of it

id still be interested if you want to sell for say 5 pounds - lol

Alex

kevinm

Enlightened
Norm said:
Gee I put this up as a warning to others. I didn't put it up to be judged. Some people like to gamble on the neddies, and I took a gamble on this light, no biggy, I guess some of you have never taken a risk and fallen flat on your bum.
Norm

We appreciate the warning. I, like you, am a sucker for stainless and would have jumped at the light, had the budget allowed.

As for falling straight on my ***, every day, my friend, every day. Grad school does that to you...

Incidentally, the nicest light I have at hand is cobbled together from cheap parts (Arc clone board, SMJLED, Matterhorn stainless body) and the second nicest is the Triton P1. Neither is what one would call name brand, but neither has failed in any way, even when dropped on concrete in snow when it was below freezing. Sometimes, taking a chance pays off (not usually for me, but sometimes:laughing:).

Kevin

DM51

Flashaholic
Bummer, Norm. You don't seem to be having much luck at the moment, battery blowing up on you yesterday and now this.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I have polished it to a chrome like shine, made a foam donut to go into the bottom of the battery, lubed and bedded in the threads (actually quite smooth now), tidied up the grotty soldering, discovered it also isn't water proof (got some moisture inside the head, there doesn't seem to be any O ring on top of the lens, managed to dry it out ok). I wouldn't expect anybody to pay what I paid for the light, I have it looking fairly good at the moment and don't feel like selling it at a loss after all the work I've put into it. I'm using it as my keyring light, beam has a very defined circular hot spot with nice spill and the rings are not anywhere near as bad as some lights I've seen. But even in it came in it's present state I still think it's way over priced.
Norm

P.S. I noticed the milling on the base doesn't line up with the ridges, look at the first photo. I's seems like a first prototype but they never bothered to make further prototypes, they just went straight into production.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
I will put some pictures up, I tried taking some today but I wasn't happy with the results, I might have another go tomorrow, it's 10pm here and I think it will be easier to get a good photo in the daylight. If I get a picture that I'm happy with I'll post it here.
Norm

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Norm said:
:awman: I put this up as a warning to others. I didn't put it up to be judged.
Reality check, Norm. Most aren't judging you. Of the few that would appear to be, I suspect most of those are just good-heartedly pulling your chain. Maybe a one or two are judging you, if that. You post to a public forum, this is what happens.

(I wouldn've never bought anything like that, but thanks for the warning, nonetheless.)

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Norm said:
I've had trouble with a P1 in the past and was really attract by the stainless steel.
I just hope I can prevent others from falling for the same trap.
Norm
Well you just did that for me. I am into ss as well and watched that light on ebay for quite a while now and couldn´t decide to get it or leave it. After stumbling into your thread the decision was easy and fast! I guess I´ll wait untill the ultrafire version will be availble at QCG (hopefully it will be at all).

Eric

dpled

Enlightened
crackup.gif
Sorry...Couldn't help but laugh at the picture of this light. That is **** poor :lolsign: quality!

firefly99

Enlightened
Norm said:
I purchased this light on eBay the other day.
This light is overpriced rubbish stay well away.

P.S. Anyone want to by a mint light.
hi Norm,

You got a crap light from ebay. Too bad.

What is the objective of your post ?
a) to warn us to stay away from this light
or
b) trying to find a bigger fool here and sell it to him

Last edited:

x2x3x2

Banned
firefly

obviously norm just wants to warn us about this, he's a very nice guy so stop trying to imply stuff about him.

if he wants to sell crap to other cpfers who may be oblivious, he wouldnt have wrote the review the way he did now would he?
u never know there may be someone who just might want it for the body and see what mods could be done.

comments like yours says more about u than norm.

firefly99

Enlightened
x2x3x2,
Norm made 2 conflicting statements.
Norm said:
This light is overpriced rubbish stay well away.

P.S. Anyone want to by a mint light.

From his followup posts, it is very obvious, he intend to sell the crappy light without making a loss, to another cpfer.

Norm said:
I'm surprised no one want to buy this light from me and it's my first review and everything :):)
Norm

Norm said:
I wouldn't expect anybody to pay what I paid for the light, I have it looking fairly good at the moment and don't feel like selling it at a loss after all the work I've put into it.

I had no issue if anyone decide take the light from Norm.

Last edited:

mpc

Newly Enlightened
There's a bit of a misunderstanding here: :)

"This light is overpriced rubbish stay well away.

P.S. Anyone want to by a mint light."

-- Not a conflicting statement at all. It's a commonly used device in British/Australian English to indicate that you have been ripped off - but can see the funny side.

The second statement:
" I'm surprised no one want to buy this light from me and it's my first review and everything :)"

-- a way of poking fun at yourself whilst asking the crowd for sympathy

" I wouldn't expect anybody to pay what I paid for the light, I have it looking fairly good at the moment and don't feel like selling it at a loss after all the work I've put into it. "

-- not an attempt to sell the light, in fact the opposite.

Sometimes spoken English doesn't translate to the page very well, if you are not used to this kind of jocular speech.

HiltiHome

Enlightened
Yes, there is no heatsinking,
the Cree is flying over the metal...

no contact to the metal; no heatsinking at all...

sorry for the blur pic's...

Last edited: