The right angle flashlight thread

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might try running it under or standing it in warm water to get it loosened. Both parts are plastic so it's not corrosion, probably just got a little over tightened.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The MX991 was a late Korea/early Vietnam era light.
You might try liquid wrench/wd 40 type bond breaker. Spay it on the joint and let it set over night.

When I was a kid my parents were often able to get stuck jar lids loose by gentley tapping around the lid with a steak knife. In this case perhaps a rubber mallet.

Great score! Great story
All the best.
God bless Dale!!

Reactions: xxo

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always liked the MX991, I usually run mine on a NiteIze 55 lumen LED and a 21700 or 26650 in 3D printed adapters. I also have a 3D printed diffused and base to use it as a area light lantern.

pumps

Newly Enlightened
Well hot water didn't do it but 30 minutes with a good sized spritz of WD-40 on the threads did break it loose. My grip is not as strong as it used to be. 2 red lenses, one blue , one sort of frosted white , one a diffused clear. I've ordered an LED for one I already have before but it's been a while any suggestions?
New gaskets couldn't hurt. Mine is a G.T. Price.....would the Fulton gaskets still work? Amazing how much lighter it feels with AAs instead of D batteries.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 55 lumen Niteize LED works pretty well in the MX991, it's a floody light, so higher lumen drop-ins don't look all that much brighter. The ~2-9 Volt operating range of the NiteIze drop-in makes it easy to run on different cells – with adapters I can run the MX991 on 11 types of cells, including 9 Volt batteries.

Originally these came with 3 red filters, but they replaced one of the red filters with a blue one beginning in 1985. The white one is the black out filter used for blacked out vehicle convoys for signaling at short distances. The clear filter is a diffuser.

I only have Fultons, so I'm not sure if the gaskets are the same on the GT Price, but I'm guessing that they are.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Mine are both Fulton as well. MX991/U and MX991\U. I asked Fulton what's the difference and got back "got me"…

I'd guess that the gasket at the bottom where one inserts batteries would be similar enough to work. Up top though may differ some such as OD.

Booga

Newly Enlightened
Those green 1940s-80s ones bring back memories. Almost every camping and army surplus shop used to have them. Although I suspect some of them weren't genuine and were unofficial copies, there was always a fair amount of civilan acessories that just happened to be green/camoflage in those sort of places, multi-tools, mess tins, compasses etc.

Reactions: xxo

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those green 1940s-80s ones bring back memories. Almost every camping and army surplus shop used to have them. Although I suspect some of them weren't genuine and were unofficial copies, there was always a fair amount of civilan acessories that just happened to be green/camoflage in those sort of places, multi-tools, mess tins, compasses etc.
Fulton is still making them in the USA (Ohio), LinPac used to make the British equivalent in UK (Birmingham, I think), but they don't seem to be making them anymore.

pumps

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday I was an estate sale and they had these lights. 2 Fulton MX-991/U lights and a Fulton MX994/U 3 D cell straight light. $10 all three. I am sooo weak!

The 994 switch is shot I think as it's sort of going sideways but it DOES work. Is it possible to repair these switches? Also the springs in the base feel pretty rough/coarse. I sprayed them down with electrical contact clenaer. Swapped in an LED to test and the switches are intermittent UNLESS I put the original incan bulb in?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice hall! The lack of switch guards indicates that the MX991's were made some time in 1984 or earlier.

The swiches are riveted so they are not easy to disassemble. I sprayed one of mne that was starting to flicker with tri-flo to clean it out while working the switch. I find that is best to store these with the switch on (no batteries) or in the signal/momentary position (with batteries).

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Modern LED military lights

2-FE3-A96-B-6-D8-A-44-C2-B7-CE-6746-CE60-B0-A4.jpg

- Left is the 40 lumen Pentagon Molle with filters in the base. Nice little AA light with a basic on/off. No electronics allow this one to be pretty reliable and store a good long time without sucking the batteries dry. Throwey beam means it appears pretty bright for only 40 lumens.
- Right is the 55 lumen 2AA Streamlight Sidewinder Rescue. It has a blue or green LED, and infra-red to go along with the cool white LED. Two clicks cause the white, green, or blue LED to flash. The infra-red is available as a marker for night vision gear. Electronic switch and no lock out feature means it should be stored without batteries. A thrower beam causes it to appear a lot brighter than the numbers appear. Starts on low with hold the button to raise or lower brightness. A brail + on the side makes replacing batteries in low light easier.