The SF A2 - Part 2

midwestpilot

Newly Enlightened
Hello Yaesumofo,

I have run into several pilots who carry A2's. While the most common LED color is red, several have changed over to Y/G saying that in spite of the beam artifacts, it is "more useful" in the cockpit.

I am a recreational pilot and found the red too bright and harsh for cockpit use, and, theoretically washes out certain markings on aviation maps (though, I never experienced this). I solved by sending two A2s to Milky and he swapped out the red LED's with 3mm Nichia white LEDs (an "LEDectomy" in Milky parlance). No change to the resistors. Now, the LEDs are very dim - perfect for night adapted eyes. I haven't measured their output, but it is something like bright moonlight. In a darkened room, the LEDs light up the whole room enough to walk around and see objects, but not enough to wake anyone up...lol...if that makes any sense. Great mod. I haven't tried the Y/G, but, for now these are the best "pilot" lights I could imagine. Unless I lose them, I don't see myself needing any other lights in my flight bag for the rest of my flying career.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Hey, JJ - something told me I'd find you on this thread tonight.

Have you tried the Y/G LED's? They're *cool* (and DIM relative to the white).

wquiles

Flashaholic
Unless I lose them, I don't see myself needing any other lights in my flight bag for the rest of my flying career.

+1

Although I am not a pilot, I do travel a lot due to my line of work, and even though I have taken part on lots of passarounds, and I have used and/or built some pretty cool lights/mods, I still have not find anything better for my travel bag than my trusty A2. Since most of the time I am using just the LED's, the batteries last more than a year with normal hotel duty, etc.. Every time I leave at night, my A2 is in my pocket, just in case I need the incandescent light, and even for more mundane tasks as lighting a menu in a dark lit restaurant.

In fact, during my last trip to Germany last year, a colleague saw my A2 and fell in love with it. Since it was so expensive over there (almost $300), I sold him mine for my replacement cost (about $110 used from Ebay), so when I got home I ordered another one, so I am now on my second A2 :devil:

Will

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the red LEDs to be too bright as well. One 5mm amber LED is just perfect for night adapted vision: :devil:

3402480485_3c5d570d57_o.jpg

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
He!! sweet!! but the answer in a Y/G A2 believe me I know from experience. NOthing beats it in the dark cockpit.

Snow

Enlightened
+1

Although I am not a pilot, I do travel a lot due to my line of work, and even though I have taken part on lots of passarounds, and I have used and/or built some pretty cool lights/mods, I still have not find anything better for my travel bag than my trusty A2. Since most of the time I am using just the LED's, the batteries last more than a year with normal hotel duty, etc.. Every time I leave at night, my A2 is in my pocket, just in case I need the incandescent light, and even for more mundane tasks as lighting a menu in a dark lit restaurant.

In fact, during my last trip to Germany last year, a colleague saw my A2 and fell in love with it. Since it was so expensive over there (almost $300), I sold him mine for my replacement cost (about $110 used from Ebay), so when I got home I ordered another one, so I am now on my second A2 :devil:

Will

Wow, that was generous!

I found the red LEDs to be too bright as well. One 5mm amber LED is just perfect for night adapted vision: :devil:

3402480485_3c5d570d57_o.jpg

Is that an Aviatrix? How does it work with one LED? Can you get all three to light up?

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leukos needs a :whoopin: for posting that pic.

Green with envy? You're right, it wasn't very nice, but it is an incredible set up for night adapted eyes. I guess I better not post a pic with all four of my aviatrix lights then....:whistle:

nzgunnie

Enlightened
I too have an Aviatrix, but with all three white LEDs.

Such a shame they are not (well have never really been) available. I'd like to get another one with a Y/G led and two white.

R@ndom

Enlightened
This thread cannot die.

Image350.jpg

The incan wasn't on in this pic, it shows how well the reflector focuses the light so that the filament lights up.

Image348-1.jpg

Image343.jpg

Image345.jpg

NE450No2

Enlightened
Like many of you I find my A2 to be my most used and most liked handheld.
In regards to the LED colors my first was Y/G.
In packing for a trip to Africa ]Zimbabwe] I "lost it".

I went the next day and bought another, with White LED's.

The white were much brighter than the Y/G. A few days later I found the Y/G A2.

I prefer the Y/G for reading maps and using in the vehicle.
I prefer the White for general purose use.

I use the White LED A2 every night around my place and it is one of my EDC when I leave the property, along with my E1e.

NE450No2

Enlightened
I think it was Fast Car that stated that the A2 was a good light a few years ago... And he was right....

BUT it is still a great light today. For a "using, working tool" I find it perfect. The low is great, especially since with the Y/G you have a low low, and the regulated 50 lumens is bright enough, but not too bright for personal use. And because it is "regulated" you get the same usability for the life of the batteries.

There is such a thing as TOO much BRIGHT for normal tasks.

What other light has the features and the quality of the A2?

NE450No2

Enlightened
js, again a great post on the A2.

However I have a question for you, and the other A2 "users".

Have you tried the Lumens Factory HO A2 lamp?

I put one in my primary user the White LED A2 and I really like it.

It seems to have increased the throw, but still has useful spill, while not being TOO bright.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
NE450No2,

I haven't used the lumens factory A2 lamp, but there was a thread on it in the incan forum, and the impressions were all quite favorable as I recall. But I will almost certainly not get it for myself at this point, as my A2 is my backup EDC, and one of my walking / outdoor exploring lights, and as such doesn't get as much use as when it was my EDC, and it has a brand new LA in it, and on top of that, I have a NIP spare SF LA for it just sitting on my shelf.

curtispdx,

Somewhere in this thread, or in part 1 of this thread, there is an extensive list of links to threads about using rechargeables in your A2. It can be done, but you should read the threads on it before you do it.