• above Santa Barbara

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • below Santa Barbara

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

hamheart

Enlightened
Re: Roll call for the So-Cal get together

well you can show of your toys, make planes almost land on your head, signal flying saucers' to come to earth, be with people who actually understand your obssesion with light, make birds think its daytime, blind bats, make people think there is a movie premiere, and blind yourself as well as everyone around you. :faint::D

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened

Sounds like fun. I don't have anything more impressive than a Sgt. Burkett, but I'll bring what I have and a PDA to record my wish list. :grin2: I might even bring my daughter and a friend who needs a good tactical light.

hamheart

Enlightened

smflorkey you have been added :thumbsup:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's a possibility, but I bet it's going to be really cold. We did a December or January GTG, before, and it was pretty chilly. Where at Griffith park will it be? We've had them at two different locations, there.

hamheart

Enlightened

i don't know much about griffith park, i have never been there before. i guess whoever gets there first and starts shining there lights and lasers in the sky will mark the location for the rest of us.:candle::D

P.S. don't forget to spread the word.:D

Last edited:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

i don't know much about griffith park, i have never been there before. i guess whoever gets there first and starts shining there lights and lasers in the sky will mark the location for the rest of us.:candle::D

P.S. don't forget to spread the word.:D

It may help to know that Griffith Park is not a little neighborhood park. It is over 6 square miles in size and has within its borders a Greek amphitheater, an observatory and planetarium, The Los Angeles Zoo, The Museum of the American West, a merry-go-round, a miniature railroad, two 18 hole and one 9 hole golf courses, a baseball field and a number of basketball and tennis courts plus a swimming pool, etc... etc. It's also home of the Bat Cave from the TV series and has the old L.A. Zoo which we've used for a few past get-togethers. Griffith Park has the advantage of not closing at sunset like so many parks do which is why we CPFers like this park (plus it's central location). Closing time is either 10 pm or 10:30 pm depending on which web site you visit or who you ask. Rangers strictly enforce the closing time!

There was a major fire in the park in May 2007 and they stopped allowing BBQs after that, and that may still be the rule. A call to the park rangers office (323-913-7390) would help in getting answers. The park gates might also be closed to "entering" cars at sunset which would definitely be a factor for a get-together where sunset time is 5:14 pm.

Other park rules and facilities which are a good idea to ask about are:

Dogs - where are they allowed and what's the park leash policy. Some CPFers have dogs.

Alcohol – In case someone wants to bring beer or wine.

Restrooms – Where are they and how far will people have to walk.

Water – Really only need to know where the taps are if you're cooking.

Tables – Pick a site with lots of tables or ask people to bring some folding tables. Flashlights take up a lot of table space! If the park is really busy most of the tables will be taken until sunset. If it's a cold day you'll probably have plenty of free picnic tables and plenty of open parking.

Parking – The site you choose may have limited parking and you maybe sharing the parking lot with other park users. This time of year you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

Directions – Placing CPF arrow signs along the route is allowed and I highly recommend it. As a courtesy to the park remember to collect them at the end of the event. Sending your cell phone number by PM to those who sign-up is another good idea, as some will get lost and being able to call you for help saves them from giving up and going home.

Here's a link from our first CPF event at Griffith Park. Feel free to take from it whatever you need that helps your get-together. :)

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/153482

PGP

Newly Enlightened

I'm interested. Hope we can get more interest. Would be better if we could get more than 5 people.

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened

... I bet it's going to be really cold.
So you're the reason for our current heat wave. :grin2:

I'm looking forward to putting some faces on the names. I'm also thinking of ways I can lock my PayPal account for a while since I'm sure to see lots of important tools I really need to buy. :faint:

hamheart

Enlightened

yes it would be nice if we could get some more people to come, maybe we should figure out how to advertise this on cpf and cpfmp? any ideas? :D

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

yes it would be nice if we could get some more people to come, maybe we should figure out how to advertise this on cpf and cpfmp? any ideas? :D

I was interested too & is why I asked what is planned for this GTG. Looks like the last GTG there was well planned out & looked like a lot of fun. Unfortunately for me I was away from CPF at that time & I regret missing it.

I'm sure many people would be interested but aren't willing to drive far for something that might not even last that long. Sure, getting to know new faces & sitting around sharing each others light is fun for us who are interested but I'm sorry to say it can get boring very quick. If there was potluck & perhaps some games/activities in store I'm sure that would draw a lot more attention. Socializing while eating works out very good, everyone likes to eat. Shoot, I personally would come just for the food! Forget the lights, don't bother me, I'm eating!

I'm not saying you are not doing a good job. Big thumbs up for you for getting one together. I know it can be hard work planning out an event & it's way too hard for just one person to organize it. I'm just saying that I'm sure there would be a lot more interest if there were more details on what would be going on. I can't wait for the next GTG that is as big as the one LowBat held!

:thumbsup: :wave: :popcorn:

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast

My advice is to PM the people who came to the last few. I don't think many people check this area of CPF on a regular basis. There was more to making it happen than just word of mouth from a thread posted here.

hamheart

Enlightened

ok i, i will put you down as pending. thanks :D

PGP

Newly Enlightened

You can put me on the list. I should be able to make it. PM'd a few people from the last get together but they cant make it.