The SureFire 6PX/G2X Tactical and 6PX/G2X Pro Thread

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know if the new 320 lumen models are actually in stock by any retailer??? Hurricane Sandy is on its way!

krayman

Newly Enlightened
Just got one. :candle: XP-G2???
20121029_184734-1.jpg

20121029_185003-1.jpg

krayman

Newly Enlightened
I get it from Hong Kong SF distributor, and they just received today.
The LED seems bigger than XP-G, anyone know what is it?

regulation

Newly Enlightened
I get it from Hong Kong SF distributor, and they just received today.
The LED seems bigger than XP-G, anyone know what is it?

Now that's confused. I just can't tell it from this picture either.
Don't you own a light with the XP-G?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's an XP-G2, which is larger than the XP-E that was in the original version of the light, but the same size as an XP-G.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you take a better picture? If it is indeed larger than the XP-G, it could be a Samsung 3535. However, I don't think that LED is available in cool white, and it's only larger by 0.05mm.

Up All Night

Enlightened
That emitter looks huge! Unless they've reworked the reflector(looks the same as my G2X) I'm afraid it's :wave: to throw. Maybe the extra horsepower will compensate. "Comparatively wide beam".......sounds foreboding to me!

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait.... is that true? Has Surefire been known to change the emitter used in a light without really saying anything? I've been eyeing maybe a tan or yellow g2x pro... but if the emitter is changing I'll wait for sure. Or is the picture from a few posts back a custom mod?

Another question maybe some of you can answer: Someone was saying water got into the threads after taking the light into the shower? Just how waterproof are they? I could definitely be fine with not being able to submerge a surefire g2x pro, but will it be fine if you take it outside for example and it starts down-pouring all over you and the light?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Wait.... is that true? Has Surefire been known to change the emitter used in a light without really saying anything? I've been eyeing maybe a tan or yellow g2x pro... but if the emitter is changing I'll wait for sure.

SureFire doesn't play the Emitter Game. For them, it's not about keeping up with the "latest & greatest." Not about blinding output as the absolute most critical part of their lights. So yes, SureFire does change emitters without making a whole song & dance about it. It's quietly done, and they move on. If you want a G2x Pro, buy it. With SureFire, it would honestly be silly to wait around for an emitter change.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
SureFire doesn't play the Emitter Game. For them, it's not about keeping up with the "latest & greatest." Not about blinding output as the absolute most critical part of their lights. So yes, SureFire does change emitters without making a whole song & dance about it. It's quietly done, and they move on.

Surefire seems to be changing their marketing strategy. I got this as an email a little while ago:

(Apologies mods, if it's against forums rules to post this)

X2Xupg.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
They still don't specify which emitters they're using. Plus, not as though SureFire increases output on their models on an on-going or remotely regular basis.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
They still don't specify which emitters they're using. Plus, not as though SureFire increases output on their models on an on-going or remotely regular basis.

True, but a mass mail-out to all subscribers, plus a banner on their main website, is not a quietly done emitter swap. This is Surefire advertising the fact that the 6PX/G2X product lines have been upgraded, and that they are now again competitive with the value-for-money Chinese made lights that these lines were designed to compete with.

Now I know, you're going to say it's not all about brightness, that there are other factors like quality, reliability and design that come into it, but a lot of old school Surefire customers will disagree. Why? Because Surefire groomed them into thinking it was all about the lumens. Back in the pre-2000 era, Surefire's marketing department was all about brightness. Qutoed from a Surefire Catalog in 1996:

It is hard to emphasize enough the value and importance of having
a really powerful light at your fingertips when searching for or confronting
a suspect in a low light environment. Having the "light
power" to quickly locate and evaluate a threat, while simultaneously
"blinding" anyone looking into your beam, can shift the odds dramatically
in your favor.

And a graphic from the same catalog:

sf1996.jpg

And while we are at it, although it's a little off topic, remember all those times when people have complained about beam patterns with the older TIR optics from Surefire? and the response was always "Surefire don't care about white wall hunting, they're about lights that are to be used"? Well, take a look at this from the same Catalog:
sfbeam1996.jpg

Interesting huh? (at least I thought so)

Anyway, back on topic. Yes, you're right, they don't specify the emitters they use, my guess is both for commercial reasons as well as the fact that most of their customers don't really care. And no, they don't increase their output on a regular basis.

But with this series of lights (unlike others from Surefire), we have seen Surefire ongoingly increasing output. They only released these in 2011, and already they have an emitter upgrade, that's pretty damn fast for Surefire (It could be argued that the 6PX pro got an emitter upgrade to XML, but for the fact that Surefire called it the Fury instead). Whether or not Surefire continue to do this with this series of lights is unknown by me. But my guess is that this is Surefire competing with other manufacturers who are playing the lumens game, but doing so whilst competing on cost, and not at the expense of reliability over the lifetime of the product.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
True, but a mass mail-out to all subscribers, plus a banner on their main website, is not a quietly done emitter swap. This is Surefire advertising the fact that the 6PX/G2X product lines have been upgraded, and that they are now again competitive with the value-for-money Chinese made lights that these lines were designed to compete with.

Hey, if that's what you want to believe in order to help you sleep at night, go ahead.

CPFers have never been SureFire's main customer base, never will be. Military contracts and law-enforcement are. The Chinese brands excel at bright and cheap. Apparently an easy trick to pull off. Yet, for some odd reason SureFire spends what is likely a ton of money on R&D. Why is that? Perhaps because blazing output at a cheap price-point with very little quality really isn't their main focus? Hmm . . . Watch out now, we're approaching Common Sense street. Veer off now if all you care about is blazing output in exchange for pennies.

I used to take that same approach. Bought a Solarforce L600 years ago. Perfect example of bright and cheap . . . and complete lack of quality. Among other things, it used shaped cork (yup, cork) as a vital piece of its internal construction. I used it at work. It gave out on me. Looked cheap, felt cheap, was cheap. Still, I liked its layout and wanted a high-quality version of it. Bought all the parts I needed to produce that version. SureFire M4 bezel and tailcap, Custom Leef body. (Though I could have simply bored out the stock SF M4 body.) Then simply get the right lamp from Lumens Factory to use with the 18650 cells. Yeah, you know what, quality does indeed make a huge difference.

However, if you want bright and cheap, plenty of Chinese brands out there that will happily give that to you. (Along with little else.) Very few of them are like Fenix, or Nitecore, or any of the established non-flavor-of-the-month brands from China. Very few will actually give you quality for your hard-earned money.

So what is behind this giant advertising campaign from SureFire, centering around brightness? Yes, this huge shift in company policy. Yes, I am being sarcastic. A handful of ads at most throughout the company's history and you genuinely believe that SureFire has completely abandoned it's core values and principles in exchange for brightness? In exchange for showing that they can compete with the cheap brands from China that play the ridiculous Emitter Game? Or that an old ad from the early years shows that SureFire's main focus has always been about brightness? I could toss up a bunch of magazine ads as well from just a few years ago that "prove" that ruggedness is the brands main focus.

Couple of ads about brightness and all of a sudden, SureFire cares about competing with the vast majority of brands from China that can pull off bright and cheap. More along the lines of increasing profits by catering a bit to their secondary market of private civilian purchases. Just as Peak doesn't make the vast majority of its profits from producing flashlights at all. Their flashlight-making division is a side venture for making a bit more profit. It could close down today, and the company would be fine. SureFire doesn't need to compete with companies who can only do bright and cheap. Have you seen their other divisions? The ones that cater to their core customer base?

Sometimes a company will put forth a bit of effort to cater to their secondary market. Or, to those customer that represent a smaller percentage of sales of their product. As long as a company doesn't alienate their core customer base, it's perfectly fine to do that. Why not get a few extra dollars at the end of the fiscal quarter? That doesn't mean that they abandon their core values. Doesn't mean that they've shifted their focus entirely. But once again, if you want to believe that a handful of SureFire ads, focusing on brightness, means that the company now cares mainly about competing with the Chinese brands that can only offer blazing output for pauper prices . . . Well, some folks to this day still believe that the Earth is flat. There's even an entire Society of them. You're free to believe what you like as well . . . Whatever helps you sleep at night.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
Hey, if that's what you want to believe in order to help you sleep at night, go ahead.

CPFers have never been SureFire's main customer base, never will be. Military contracts and law-enforcement are. The Chinese brands excel at bright and cheap. Apparently an easy trick to pull off. Yet, for some odd reason SureFire spends what is likely a ton of money on R&D. Why is that? Perhaps because blazing output at a cheap price-point with very little quality really isn't their main focus? Hmm . . . Watch out now, we're approaching Common Sense street. Veer off now if all you care about is blazing output in exchange for pennies.

I used to take that same approach. Bought a Solarforce L600 years ago. Perfect example of bright and cheap . . . and complete lack of quality. Among other things, it used shaped cork (yup, cork) as a vital piece of its internal construction. I used it at work. It gave out on me. Looked cheap, felt cheap, was cheap. Still, I liked its layout and wanted a high-quality version of it. Bought all the parts I needed to produce that version. SureFire M4 bezel and tailcap, Custom Leef body. (Though I could have simply bored out the stock SF M4 body.) Then simply get the right lamp from Lumens Factory to use with the 18650 cells. Yeah, you know what, quality does indeed make a huge difference.

However, if you want bright and cheap, plenty of Chinese brands out there that will happily give that to you. (Along with little else.) Very few of them are like Fenix, or Nitecore, or any of the established non-flavor-of-the-month brands from China. Very few will actually give you quality for your hard-earned money.

So what is behind this giant advertising campaign from SureFire, centering around brightness? Yes, this huge shift in company policy. Yes, I am being sarcastic. A handful of ads at most throughout the company's history and you genuinely believe that SureFire has completely abandoned it's core values and principles in exchange for brightness? In exchange for showing that they can compete with the cheap brands from China that play the ridiculous Emitter Game? Or that an old ad from the early years shows that SureFire's main focus has always been about brightness? I could toss up a bunch of magazine ads as well from just a few years ago that "prove" that ruggedness is the brands main focus.

Couple of ads about brightness and all of a sudden, SureFire cares about competing with the vast majority of brands from China that can pull off bright and cheap. More along the lines of increasing profits by catering a bit to their secondary market of private civilian purchases. Just as Peak doesn't make the vast majority of its profits from producing flashlights at all. Their flashlight-making division is a side venture for making a bit more profit. It could close down today, and the company would be fine. SureFire doesn't need to compete with companies who can only do bright and cheap. Have you seen their other divisions? The ones that cater to their core customer base?

Sometimes a company will put forth a bit of effort to cater to their secondary market. Or, to those customer that represent a smaller percentage of sales of their product. As long as a company doesn't alienate their core customer base, it's perfectly fine to do that. Why not get a few extra dollars at the end of the fiscal quarter? That doesn't mean that they abandon their core values. Doesn't mean that they've shifted their focus entirely. But once again, if you want to believe that a handful of SureFire ads, focusing on brightness, means that the company now cares mainly about competing with the Chinese brands that can only offer blazing output for pauper prices . . . Well, some folks to this day still believe that the Earth is flat. There's even an entire Society of them. You're free to believe what you like as well . . . Whatever helps you sleep at night.

You obviously didn't read all of my post, so I'll make it simple for you.

Surefire Isn't doing cheap and bright. They are doing quality, bright but at value for money price points. At no point did I say that Surefire are dropping their core values, I simply pointed out that your statement about Surefire always quietly upgrading their lights without fanfare is completely wrong. I did however, agree with you about emitters.

To be clear, the Chinese competition I am talking about is Fenix and Nitecore and Klarus and Olight and Foursevens and Streamlight and others that are Chinese made if not owned lights, who have brought in decent product at price points cheaper than what Surefire has traditionally sold at. Not the cheap and nasty 1800 lumen lights that come with a free set of steak knives for $30USD.

There is a YouTube video kicking around of a Surefire rep who talks about the 6PX/G2X series of lights, where he states that they have listened to their customers, who have said that they want a value-for-money product, but with the quality and reliability that they have come to expect from Surefire. He then talks about the lights and how they have done things like seal the heads to reduce cost yet not at the expense of reliability whilst keeping it made in America. I would link it but frankly couldn't be bothered.

Evidence seems to elude you just as it did those who said Chris Columbus was mad to try to sail in one direction to get home. They, just like you, apparently lived on Common Sense Street. So Mr Common sense, take the old 6PX Pro to be fair, and compare it to the current LX2. Look at the specs, look at the RRP, and look at the build quality. What differences do you see? What things are the same? Are you honestly going to try and tell me that they are the same?

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marketing strategy? Who cares. You're going to market your strengths, whatever they may be. The important thing is that the light has seemingly improved without compromising quality, country of origin or price.