The SureFire 6PX/G2X Tactical and 6PX/G2X Pro Thread

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds FANTASTIC. I have a small box of CR123's but hate using them. Like my other lights I keep high quality lithium primaries as an emergency stash (cr123's, L91 lithium aa's, alkaline D cells for my Streamlight lantern) but everything gets 18650's or NiMh for actual use most of the time.

I own the Fenix ARE-C1 two 18650 charger for 18650's (not the newest version with a digital display) ... would there be any problem charging one or two 16650's in it? Physically they should fit fine I think.

You can find the review of the g2x and a 16650 here: http://flashlightguide.com/2014/04/review-surefire-g2x-pro-g2x-tactical/

Last edited:

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
. . . I remember seeing a runtime graph of 16650s used in a 320 lumen G2X(in this thread, I think). The cell and the light's circuit are a great match, such that output and runtime are almost identical to using a pair of primaries. Think direct replacement for primaries, without the capacity loss or having to bore out the light body.

That may have been this one. I agree that the 16650 is a nice replacement for 2x123A.

The G2X has a really tight battery compartment. Of the two KeepPower 16650 cells I ordered, one was just a tiny bit thicker at the positive end and fit a little too snugly in the G2X. It could be inserted and I could probably get it back out again but I'm not going to chance it myself. The other fit perfectly.

. . . I just ran a quick test with a Keeppower 16650 (2000mAh) charged to 4.20V. Output is slightly lower than with 123As but without a meter I would have never known the difference. Runtime is very similar although I ended the test before the battery protection circuit could kick in so I don't know how long it would have limped along before the battery died. It's my first time using these batteries and I don't know how low they will go. After the test, the 16650 had a resting voltage of 3.19V. YMMV

20140422175200-303acd7f.jpg

I didn't include the 16650 test results in the full review as I didn't have them at the time and SureFire doesn't support the use of that type of battery. I debated about adding the updated chart to the review but have not done so.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those were protected 16650's I'm assuming that were tested 880arm? I don't think I'm going to buy unprotected cells although I see they are available there too.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW! Interesting stuff...Might have to spring for a couple myself! :thumbsup:

They would probably work great in a Fury as well, I would think. :shrug:

I've been using 17670s in both my 6PX and my Fury for quite some time now with very good results.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
That may have been this one. I agree that the 16650 is a nice replacement for 2x123A.

The G2X has a really tight battery compartment. Of the two KeepPower 16650 cells I ordered, one was just a tiny bit thicker at the positive end and fit a little too snugly in the G2X. It could be inserted and I could probably get it back out again but I'm not going to chance it myself. The other fit perfectly.

I didn't include the 16650 test results in the full review as I didn't have them at the time and SureFire doesn't support the use of that type of battery. I debated about adding the updated chart to the review but have not done so.

Aww, maybe you can post the updated chart in cpf instead?

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
My g2x "C" came in the mail this morning... firs impressions are really good.

i like the clean beam and very large hot spot with very usable spill, i went with the tactical version to be able to use in pair with an handgun but i'm considering trying to EDC it for a wile.

The switch is very stiff to depress, is that how it is supposed to be? I am used to the click on E2DL and it is much softer to activate.

Will a z49 work with this light? I have been searching one for a good while now...:broke:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's strange. The switch on my G2X pro is kind of ... soft compared to other lights I've had. Is the pro version softer than the tactical version? If so that's disappointing as I wanted a stiffer switch on the pro version.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
The switch on the Tactical doesn't click, so it will feel completely different than the one on the Pro. You could possibly put a McClicky switch on your Pro with a Hard Press boot. That may change the feel, but for a price.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yes. I forgot the SF turn for constant on "feature". I have never owned a light like that so maybe I shouldn't talk, but I can't see myself liking a light like that. Tactical with momentary yes, but still harder to turn on completely with one hand. I like a hard switch with momentary medium press with full press to turn on myself.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yes. I forgot the SF turn for constant on "feature". I have never owned a light like that so maybe I shouldn't talk, but I can't see myself liking a light like that. Tactical with momentary yes, but still harder to turn on completely with one hand. I like a hard switch with momentary medium press with full press to turn on myself.

The SF "tactical" tailcap...press for momentary, twist for on, type tailcaps, become second nature to use with one hand after awhile.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds like you'd be a fan of the Surefire Z59 tailcap.

tango44

Enlightened
Hi, I search the forum and could not find the answers to my questions, maybe you can help me!

I just got on a trade a SF 6PX PRO and I like it, but how do I know which version is?
There`s a 200 and 350 lumen version, how do I know what I got?
Serial is A014XX and it has a two level tailcap switch.

Also is there a way to get the light to turn on on the highest level always?

Can I switch the tail cap for another with just the high level?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
Hi, I search the forum and could not find the answers to my questions, maybe you can help me!

I just got on a trade a SF 6PX PRO and I like it, but how do I know which version is?
There`s a 200 and 350 lumen version, how do I know what I got?
Serial is A014XX and it has a two level tailcap switch.

Also is there a way to get the light to turn on on the highest level always?

Can I switch the tail cap for another with just the high level?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

You can tell which version you have by looking for a "D" lasered above the "Caution: Hot surface" warning on the head of the light. If it has the D, then it's the newer 320 lumen version.

The programming of the light is done in the head end, there is no way to change it's programming to come on in high only by switching out the tail cap. If you want something like that, you might want to trade for the tactical single output version, which only has the one high output.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere earlier in this thread, a way is shown to make it a G2X/6PX Pro a single mode light always on high. It is as simple as cutting a lead on the circuit board on the bottom of the head. There are pictures showing which lead to cut, so it's pretty fool-proof.