The SureFire 6PX/G2X Tactical and 6PX/G2X Pro Thread

rrego

Enlightened
I don't know if this has been asked before in this thread, but with the color G2X models (not the black one), are those heads hard anodized color or what they call cerakote? Curiosity on my part. I've never handled a cerakote light, so don't know.

benedictine

Newly Enlightened
I'm a real late comer to the Surefire owner family. Pooh-poohed the G2X and 6PX family for a number of years due to underpowered lumen numbers relative to what I could get from the Chinese brands. Until I recently got my hands on a new old stock 6PX Tactical (manufactured in August 2010 going by the CR123's that were installed in it).

Yes, that's the original 200 lumen version. Finding any Surefire dealer here in Australia is a real nightmare (especially if I want to feel a light with my own hands).

I'm super impressed. The beam is actually better than what I get out of the "high" level from my usual EDC (Nitecore MH10). Get a far wider usable amount of spill. I really like the OP reflector in it and I think I'm going to be looking for more lights with OP reflectors in them from now on. Now just waiting for some 16650s to arrive so I don't need to keep buying 123s in the future.

Now looking at seeing if I can find a 320 lumen G2X Tactical close to where I am.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a real late comer to the Surefire owner family. Pooh-poohed the G2X and 6PX family for a number of years due to underpowered lumen numbers relative to what I could get from the Chinese brands. Until I recently got my hands on a new old stock 6PX Tactical (manufactured in August 2010 going by the CR123's that were installed in it).

Yes, that's the original 200 lumen version. Finding any Surefire dealer here in Australia is a real nightmare (especially if I want to feel a light with my own hands).

I'm super impressed. The beam is actually better than what I get out of the "high" level from my usual EDC (Nitecore MH10). Get a far wider usable amount of spill. I really like the OP reflector in it and I think I'm going to be looking for more lights with OP reflectors in them from now on. Now just waiting for some 16650s to arrive so I don't need to keep buying 123s in the future.

Now looking at seeing if I can find a 320 lumen G2X Tactical close to where I am.

"Still" rocking out the 320lm G2X single mode on my fire helmet. It isn't super kind to batteries but better than previous models I've used. With decent batteries, though, it is very bright and works very well. Now it doesn't see the roughest FD use but so far its held up perfectly. Even with the old Z59(pn?) clicky tailcap.

coffeeandlifting

Newly Enlightened
I highly prefer the 320 lumen model. The battery life is exceptional, the emitter is small and throws a clean beam, and the regulation scheme is simple and rock solid. I'm not a fan of the "lumen wars" upgrades at SF. The lights are being driven super hard now. Lots of current, poor battery life, bigger emitters than the reflectors were designed for throwing sloppy beams, and regulation that's either poor or trying to be clever with voltage boosting and stepdowns. The last handhelds that I liked from Surefire were the 320l G2Xs and the 500l Furys (which had the correct-size reflector for the larger emitter). Its too bad that SF has fallen for the lumen wars instead of sticking to their target market which is best served with the simplest and most reliable tools rather than flashy specs for trade show banners.

benedictine

Newly Enlightened
I think I'll be happy with a 320lm G2X Tactical. I had the misfortune of turning on my Acebeam T36 on turbo (2K lumens) the other night indoors and pretty much destroyed my night vision for the next 30 mins. Even outside in a suburban environment, I think it's too much for general use (the 200lm low mode is more than enough).

coffeeandlifting

Newly Enlightened
I would buy the 320 lumen GZX tactical all day long at ~$50 over any 600 lumen model. I might buy one more before they disappear and give it to my parents for nightstand duty. There's still a niche for 2xcr123 lights, but that niche is not "ultra-high output." I think the niche is low frequency use (night-stand and/or emergency use only). I keep a 320lm G2ZX in my backpack as an emergency backup to my EDC and it feels good to know that those batteries have 10 years of shelf-life and will still give me outstanding runtime with totally sufficient output when I need it. I still carry a P2ZX sometimes as a self-defense instrument too. It might be my favorite handheld. Notice how much bigger the heads were on the Furys. That is the correct size reflector for a 500+ lumen emitter. The Fury was appropriately designed around the 500lm XM-L. That's why the fury has a neat and flawless beam whereas lots of the new upgraded stuff leaves much to be desired IME.

matt4350

Enlightened
My G2X 320 is one of my faves, I'm a little disappointed in the 600 lm version I bought because the quality and tint of the beam isn't as good. I regret not getting the G2X 200 when I saw it on special. I did manage to pick up a 6PX 200 at a good price, it's still a relevant light and a good performer.

benedictine

Newly Enlightened
Did the emitter change mid-production of the 320lm G2X/6PX from the Nichia to a Cree?

Only reason I'm hankering for a 320lm G2X Tac in addition to my 200lm 6PX Tac is because of the emitter tint.

matt4350

Enlightened
Don't know much about the emitters, I didn't think they used a Nichia for that light. My 320 has a very good, almost neutral, tint. Unlike the 600, which is sorta yellow/green (but quite functional nonetheless). I have a G2X LE which has a pretty clean white output, and I consider that to be a very good light for its purpose and price.

benedictine

Newly Enlightened
I'm utterly in love with my new G2X Tactical 320lm in desert tan. Nichia 219B has that beautiful tint that I prefer more than my other lights now that I finally have one that actually is NW (even though some of my other cool white lights have some tints on the more neutral side than others).

Only issue I had initially was the clicky being very temperamental and the light refused to turn on at first click after screwing the tailcap on. Works now after a play around with pliers on the spring.

Is this a known issue for the G2X series with the clicky tailcaps? Far less throw than my 200lm 6PX Tactical but it's way better at short-medium range for general lighting.

After unwrapping one of my protected 16650s so it'd actually fit within the body, this is now my on person EDC light with my more versatile lights sitting in my backpack until I need them.

May just go back to a couple of my local stores and pick up the last remaining 320lm G2X Tac and 200lm 6PX Tac at some future point in time (along with their NOS Armytek Viking X's). They've been sitting on the shelves as everyone at those stores has been persuaded to buy PowerTac or LED Lenser by the sales staff.

s85sss

Newly Enlightened
just received my (used) 6px pro, no letter etched on bezel.
problem is that it seems to work only on max, i don't have the 2 stages.
how is that possible? may it be a clone?

benedictine

Newly Enlightened
just received my (used) 6px pro, no letter etched on bezel.
problem is that it seems to work only on max, i don't have the 2 stages.
how is that possible? may it be a clone?

Previous owner might have cut one line on the circuit to make it a single mode only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

s85sss

Newly Enlightened
this circuit must be inside the tailcap, because the head looks still sealed to the body, did i get it right?

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what the cut trace wire looks like on single modes or dual modes modded to single mode.
3572982f45f7481bdd4c3da9c894db09.jpg

Rubicon1000

Newly Enlightened
XjKnVUF.jpg

I have an older 6px defender that is a single stage and it doesn't have any letters on the bezel but I think it's the 200 lumen.
I just got the g2x pro and the package says 600 lumens but it's not any brighter than the LE model. It has a D on the bezel but no serial number. The reflectors are different and on the inside of the LE it has instructions for cutting the circuit to make it a single stage. I really like the tint from the g2x pro and it is probably gonna be one of my favorite.