The TigerLight Upgrade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheesehead,

lamps are in general non-linear circuit elements, i.e. their resistance is not constant. The tests on the 1185 may not be representative of other WA lamps. Who knows, but in any case I am going by the WA re-rating formulas for the most part, or when they are absent, my guessing was informed by my past experience with them. Please feel free to post numbers which are more accurate in regards to pushing the 1164 or 1111. What do you think the current will be at 7.0-7.2 volts?

As for NiMH and recharge cycles, the latest cells I have looked at were rated for 1000 charges. Not bad at all.

And I must stress again that we are not even coming close to "pushing" the TL battery pack. 10 amps would probably do that. 4 amps won't.

Finally, I have to agree with you on the question of at what point a TL is no longer a TL. I was actually musing about that very question last night. Certainly, if all we have original is the shell, it's a mod and not an upgrade. However, the battery pack change to 9 cells is only ONE of the possibilities here, and even if it becomes my favorite idea, I will DEFINITELY be offering a simple WA bulb upgrade. This is a drop in upgrade to the light. I mean, we all change out the reflector and lamp every single time we replace a bad LA. Suppose TL comes out with a better lamp, which they plan on doing, is my TL no longer a TL because I've changed out the lamp and reflector?

In using a Carley 1940 reflector I am essentially using the same reflector geometry that TL uses. Both have almost identicle measurements. The main thrust of this is for me (with as much help as I can get--HELP! HELP! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) to do all the leg work and R&D and prototyping so that anyone can drop in the final WA/Carley lamp assembly and have a super bright TigerLight with reduced run time. My idea of making the assembly with a removeable bi-pin socket is so that people can replace the lamp without having to pay for a new reflector, and so that people can adjust the socket in the reflector to obtain the beam profile they desire. It will arrive all set to use, however, and a person could just leave it that way and insert and remove the bi-pin lamps in exactly the same way that they do with the MC.

But even regarding the total "upgrade" or mod to the 9.6 volt WA lamp and 9 cell battery pack, the appealing thing is keeping the same external light and charger (which many of us like a lot) and only having to buy a $25 battery pack, $10 wall wart/charger mod, and $15 lamp assembly (with a low $3 lamp replacement thereafter). So, in other words, for about $50 someone who owns a TigerLight, could rev it up to something brighter than a SF M6. It wouldn't really be a TL anymore, I suppose, and the simple drop in lamp/reflector mod is more appealing in many ways, but still, it's all in good fun.

Moving on, I will start looking for a cheap and suitable wallwart and order the supplies to make up a KAN 1050 2/3A 9 cell pack. This will keep me going until the WA and Carley orders come.

I also am going to take apart the stock pack to try to figure out exactly which 4/5A cell TL uses. I would like to make up a standard configuration pack for the TL that uses premium 4/5A cells if the stock pack isn't already using them. Each month seems to bring newer and better NiMH batteries.

And if there is any interest at all, I am willing to make up 9 and 6 cell battery packs for the TigerLight, as well as modified charging harnesses and wallwarts. Costs to be determined, but the figures I mentioned above are probably in the ball park.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I'm interested! Any chance of a PM when/if you get things worked out to your satisfaction?

Thanks,
Brightnorm

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
brightnorm,

I can notify you via PM if you want, or you can keep an eye on this thread for developments. Anyone who wants to will be able to get on the bandwagon. I will post a sign-up thread when I'm ready and put in orders to the relevant companies and start assembling and shipping. hmmm. I have a feeling I'm going to regret this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I may have to clothesline Ginseg into helping me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Illuminated

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
Illuminated,

Do you think that this wallwart will work:

powersupplydepot

The price is right at any rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

That should do just fine. With .9 amp rating, though, it'll be physically larger than a .5 amp rated unit. Price is right, though.

John

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illuminated,

I took apart the charger and found the 6.8 ohm resistor and 100 uF 25V input filter capacitor. I can't thank you enough for this information. This is great. A few questions:

1. Do I need to stick with 1/2 watt resistors, or will 1/4 watt work just fine do you think?

2. What would be wrong with connecting the center terminals of a DPDT switch (via small flexible wires) across where the 6.8 ohm resistor was, and moving the 6.8 ohm resistor across one set of switch terminals, and putting a 12 ohm (or whatever I can get that is closest to 11.9) resistor across the other set. I have a DPDT mini-switch that will fit nicely underneath where the LM317T is, mounted to (and through) the case, of course. That way, a person could have both chargers at the flick of a switch without having to buy another $25 charging harness from TL. I assume that the LM317T would charge the 7.2 V pack with an input of 15 V, or would a person need to change wallwarts as well?

3. And couldn't a person use the 187 mA setting to "fast-er" charger the 9 cell pack for several hours, and then flick the switch to the 105 mA setting to trickle charge the batteries to full power at the .1C rate? If so, this would be a nice bonus to modifying the charger in this way.

4. I know you already said as much above, but being a cautious person I need reassurance: we can just leave the 100uF capacitor alone, right? I mean 25V is a high enough rating, yes? Under what conditions do you imagine a failure, or would you have to know the performance characteristics of the wallwart to really answer this quesiton?

Hope I'm not overloading you with questions. I was going to PM you about this stuff, but then I thought that maybe some people would like to hear about all of this, particularly in regards to the possibility of having the ability to charge either battery pack with the same charger.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget about the two easy mods: Changing out the stock LA for one from a streamlight. I still haven't tried the 35 LA, but the other one (was it 20 or 25?) had a very nice tight beam and same runtime as my stock lamp.

Mark

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
brightnorm,

I can notify you via PM if you want, or you can keep an eye on this thread for developments. Anyone who wants to will be able to get on the bandwagon. I will post a sign-up thread when I'm ready and put in orders to the relevant companies and start assembling and shipping. hmmm. I have a feeling I'm going to regret this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I may have to clothesline Ginseg into helping me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't regret it, just charge more! (oops, forget I said that). If it's not too much trouble a PM would be really helpful. Looking forward to your creations!

Brightnorm

Psychomodo

Enlightened
Thanks for the update js and thanks to illuminated for his assistance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Illuminated

Enlightened
Jim,

Some answers:

1)For 12-ohms, 1/4W resistor should be fine. Power is 1.25 volts squared divided by resistance. The stock 6.8-ohm works out close to 1/4 watt, so that's why I just suggested 1/2 watters.

2) Yes, that will work. That's exactly what I did with a similar homemade charger for 60/160mA setup for AA's. Also, TL charger will work fine on stock batt with 15V input.

3) Yes, that could be done. The 187 mA rate shouldn't bother the 9-cell pack so long as you don't leave it on forever.

4) Stock cap shouldn't be a problem. Potentially, voltage spikes (if present) coming out of the wallwart could damage the cap, but they'd likely have to be fairly high-energy spikes. I've seen small disc caps have their foil layers get pinholes punched through and shorts develope due to high voltage spikes, but I doubt there's a high risk of that happening here.

Later - John

Psychomodo

Enlightened
Thought you might be interested in this email from Tigerlight I received today:

"We have been working with a manufacturer to upgrade our bulb. Unfortunately
the process has not proved successful yet because of durability issues.
Because the manufacturer did not deliver as expected we have been forced to
send out older generations of our lamp module. We will replace those lamp
modules with new ones when we receive them.

Thanks,
Eric Straddeck
TigerLight Inc."

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

coloradotim

Newly Enlightened
Eric hasn't written me back yet, so thanks for posting the email he sent you.

I'm really curious about how this new bulb will perform. Obviously they're trying to make it brighter. I wonder if it will simply drain the batteries faster or if will be more efficient than the current bulb.

paulr

Flashaholic
Wow, just found this thread.

For charging the 9 cell pack, simplest is probably to just take the pack out of the light and use a universal charger like a Maha C777 or whatever the current model is. That does temperature sensing, delta V sensing, the whole bit.

I sort of had the impression that the TL charging base was just a transformer, and that there were some charging electronics in the light itself. If the charge contacts on the light just go directly to the battery (through a blocking diode one hopes), then the stock charger can be modded with a fancier circuit, of course.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
coloradotim,

The new generation TL LA will NOT drain the batteries faster, it will simply be brighter and more efficient. TL believes that an hour runtime is a minimum for LEO use during a ten hour shift. I'm sure they're right.

paulr,

Taking the battery pack out of a TigerLight is anything but simple, and is not the sort of thing you would want to do everyday, nor was it designed to be done that often. The battery pack is designed to stay in the light for years at a time (until it needs to be replaced). The light is not designed so that you could have two packs and one light, for example. And yes, the electronics is in the harness and not in the light. TL is planning on offering a fast charger at some point in the future, but I don't know when.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheesehead,

You are right about my 1111 7.2 volt current being too high. If the resistance stays constant, we would expect the 1111 to draw 4 amps, not 5. Sorry. This equates to a runtime of 27 minutes. The 1164 will draw no more than 4 amps as well, so same runtime there.

Minjin,

Tell me about the SL LA mods. Are they direct drop ins? How bright are they? Runtime? Beam profile? Etc. I am interested in ANY option. I want to see what we can do with and for the TL. Bring it on. How much are the SL LA's?

UPDATE: More parts on order. Can't wait! Also, I measured the battery pack and the i.d. of the light, and there is enough room to step up to 18mm fat A cells, such as the HR 4/5FAUP 1950 mAH. Just a thought for replacing the standard pack with another 6 cell NiMH pack.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight lamps are a direct drop in. The come from the SL-20 and SL-35. A search should show my original post from when I discovered this compatibility.

Mark

Psychomodo

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts