• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Titanium "Haiku"

Duster1671

Enlightened
Thanks for your observations and comments! The primary ground path is through the lip of the battery tube into the rear shoulder on the E-Can. The tight seat of MCPCB against the shoulder of the head is primarily intended as a thermal path from MCPCB to head.
I think you're referring to electrical ground here. I was commenting on the mechanical grounding of the LE to the head, which I now realize is confusing and maybe esoteric terminology.

This has to do with how force flows through the head components when the LE is tightened down. With a tight LE, the force in the threads needs to be balanced out with an equal-and-opposite force elsewhere on the LE. A head that uses a "stack-up" of parts transfers that force through the centering ring, reflector, window, and o-ring before making its way back to the "mechanical ground" of the head. In the Haiku, the force flows directly back into the head through the MCPCB.

The "stack-up" method works okay, but I'm more drawn to the way the Haiku does it. It has the advantage you noted of a good thermal path to the head, but also prevents excessive force at the emitter/reflector interface. I've made the rookie mistake of crushing the corners of an LED by tightening a pill down without having everything lined up correctly. That seems much less likely, if not entirely impossible, in the Haiku.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, I decided to look for colored rings for Haiku. There was a question about the actual size and hardness.

1669121007848.png

If I understand correctly, then the sizes of the rings must comply with the standard AS568

And here the question arises, in different sources the cross sections are indicated in fractions, in others in the decimal system, and these numbers do not match. Why is everything so confusing? :faint:

1669121649682.png

In tolerance tables, everywhere they write in decimal system and it coincides with what is called the actual size
1669121754546.png

And the second question, I noticed that the hardness of rubber is measured in certain Shore units from 25 to 90.
What hardness should I choose for a flashlight? I remember in the AquaRam thread, it mentioned harder silicone rings that improve water resistance, but it didn't mention how hard they were.

1669121970653.png

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
After 2 years, I was finally able to adjust levels on Haiku (hive) so that I don't want to change them anymore:clap:

1 - 5 - 16 - 21
1 - 10 - 21
11 - 21

The brightness spikes look equally spaced, but that's just to my eyes and this shaved dome LED. The driver worked perfectly in winter with temperatures of -30 Celsius at all levels