"The Torch" (Beamshots added 5/2)

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: "The Torch"

PSM.. when i charge packs like that, i use a 'quick clamp' with the alligator clips clipped to the rubber.. and clamp it top to bottom.. otherwize i will loosen the top (pos side) and fish in a wire, tighten back down.. the alligator clip will fit on the neg. side, not the pos. side. heeeell no on remove to charge... yikes!

mac does use a custom holder.. i've not seen it, but all you need is about 3mm of space, which is usually more than enough built in to the tailspring.. with this tight of a mod for space, not 100% sure it will fit.. mac might have to make a 3mm longer version.. tailswitch is not a problem for hotdriver though, just need to hot-wire the 'on' switch to positive... which is painfully simple because there is a jumper on the board for doing just that.

-awr

therisensun

Newly Enlightened

Andrew -- cool

PSM --
WebP1010045-2.jpg

Others may have a better way -- obviously, have to make sure whatever you use to attach the wires can't short the pack.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Max.. you have to see CY's variation.. he drills a hole through the feet, puts in a bolt.. it's really nice.. i use a temporary solution like shown above.. 'cause i like using my quick clamps.. as quick clamps ;)

-awr

wquiles

Flashaholic

I use CY's technique often enough that I simply bought an "extra" set of clamps so that I can have regular clamps ready when I really need just the clamps ;)

Will

therisensun

Newly Enlightened

Sounds neat -- I'd love to see CY's technique.. if anybody has a link or picture let me know.

That's one of the neat things about CPF -- everybody sharing knowledge and ideas -- no need to reinvent the wheel -- if your willing to take the time to read the threads and do the research -- or just ask questions -- a newbie like me can go from 0 to regulated 100W ( :grin2: awr-) in no time ...

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Max.. looks just like what you did above, but with a bolt screwed through the pads.. the wire is attached tot he bolt with Eye connectors i believe.

-awr

therisensun

Newly Enlightened

That was good thinking -- easier than holding the wires and lining everything up just right each time --

so back to the most important topic -- MAC, WHEN DOES PRODUCTION BEGIN? PAYPAL LOCKED AND LOADED! :candle:

remember -- "...all you need is about 3mm of space, which is usually more than enough built in to the tailspring.. with this tight of a mod for space, not 100% sure it will fit.. mac might have to make a 3mm longer version.. tailswitch is not a problem for hotdriver though, just need to hot-wire the 'on' switch to positive... which is painfully simple because there is a jumper on the board for doing just that..."

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

The battery holders needed should be here in approximately 2 weeks.

Mac

Micko

Newly Enlightened

Micko said:
I would be game I think, depending on how bad the price is
I'm in ,sod the price I need this torch !!!.
I'm new to this addiction,do you think this will quell my cravings?.:huh2:

Last edited:

DaveNagy

Newly Enlightened

Could we get a rough estimate on the cost? $150? $450? Something in between?

I'm certainly interested, which would explain why I paid for a USL (and charger) approximately six years ago. (I may exaggerate slightly.) :) Since I still have absolutely nothing to show for that particular "investment", I've recently found myself itching to throw even more money down the hotwire hole! Crazy, but true.

Questions:
  • How much?
  • Any reflector options?
  • Host color options?
  • Measured runtime?
  • Availability of replacement bulbs and cells? Are they easy to find?
  • ETA? (It sounds like you're almost ready to ship. True?)
  • Beamshots, beamshots, beamshots.

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am very interested, this would make my Mini look like a candle :candle:

How much is it going to be? :whistle:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey mac.. how do you connect power to the lamp? is there a way to fit in a driver? this would be a killer light to add in a driver and run the 64610 or the 62138.. the batts you have in there would compete head-on with the CBP 1650s, and probably hold voltage better to boot.

-awr

Delvance

Enlightened

I was just playing with the hotrater spreadsheet by Awr not long ago, and decided to plug in the 64623 lamp (which is what this "Torch" uses). I made the DD figure 14.27V so the lamp would see 14V (which imho, should be pretty easy with the setup Mac has done).

Enjoy!
64623.JPG

Yup, over 3100 output lumens and the bulb may last upto 300 hours or so! Insta strike 3100 output lumens...definitely HID territory.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

DaveNagy said:
Could we get a rough estimate on the cost? $150? $450? Something in between?

I'm certainly interested, which would explain why I paid for a USL (and charger) approximately six years ago. (I may exaggerate slightly.) :) Since I still have absolutely nothing to show for that particular "investment", I've recently found myself itching to throw even more money down the hotwire hole! Crazy, but true.

Questions:
  • How much?
  • Any reflector options?
  • Host color options?
  • Measured runtime?
  • Availability of replacement bulbs and cells? Are they easy to find?
  • ETA? (It sounds like you're almost ready to ship. True?)
  • Beamshots, beamshots, beamshots.

-Pricing should be around $225.
-Reflectors will be Medium Stipple
-Colors....I'll try to accomodate
-Runtime.....Your looking at around 8-10 minutes of intermittent use like 1 minute at a time or under :). This light is a show light it's not meant for taking walks at night.
-Bulbs are easy to find and under $5 each
-ETA is a couple of weeks.
-Beamshots soon :)

Mac