The Ultimate Laser Buyer's Guide: Handhelds & Pointers

Chief117

Newly Enlightened
Hi, we have a new laser around. Its a blu-ray laser by WL, and could be added to this guide.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Some posts in this thread - old ones and a recent one - have disappeared. They have been deleted by me in order to clean this thread and preserve its usefulness.

Again ... please keep this thread on topic with the "laser guide" theme. It is too valuable a resource to do otherwise.

Thank you.

bernhard

SuperBert

Enlightened
updates in progress... Sorry I haven't been around to mess w/ this; things have been crazy.. I am updating a little at a time, as I am at work.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Yellow (593.5nm) DPSS Laser Module

ydpss1.jpg

Features/Specs:

• PARTIALLY FDA compliant (notification LED, key, shutter)
  • built in heatsink
  • unknown power pump diode
  • constant-on switch
  • powered by 2 "C" cell batteries
  • outputs are sold in <10mW

GrooveRite

Enlightened
SuperBert said:
updates in progress... Sorry I haven't been around to mess w/ this; things have been crazy.. I am updating a little at a time, as I am at work.

Your work in putting this thread together is much appreciated!! Thank you!!

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
any idea for a 123 powred green laser that has about 100mw to 200mw if you could piont me to a place i would be very gratfull. and if possible it needs to be under 400

thanks guys

SuperBert

Enlightened
*****Updated on 12-15-2006*****

• New lasers added
  • Updates to products added
  • Post cleaned up a bit

SuperBert

Enlightened
I will be updating the list sometime in the very near future (hopefully before the end of the week) so keep an eye out for it. Been busy, so be patient. I havent forgotten about CPF haha.

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
Bert --- Super ----

A good collection of a lot of info. There will be a lot of Butt whats, Butt ifs and whatever -- expect it. As stated this is a good start.

THANK YOU --

Mike

jhosaki

Newly Enlightened
Just a small correction/update:

Laserglow's Hercules now uses a 2.5W diode and improved crystal set. They are now regularly available in sustained output powers up to >400mW, and occasionally are available as high as >500mW. The divergence has also been improved to now fall between 0.8-1.2mRad.

Thanks for the great comparison list, this will answer a lot of people's basic questions about the wide selection of lasers available out there. Good work!

Comidt

Newly Enlightened
You hould put the core on too, since you got the leadlight...
Great Guide by the way:twothumbs:twothumbs
Jonno

Raccoon

Enlightened
Hey Bert, I think we're ready for another update.

BTW, where the heck have you been? :) Pick any locks lately?

Did I ever mention that I blame you for my becoming a locksmith?

flare02

Newly Enlightened
Excellent guide! I agree, an update would be awesome!

I think a guide about what all the technical terms mean would be nice too. Kind of like a laser dictionary?

SuperBert

Enlightened
HAHA it does still exist.. Its been a while.. if anyone wants to take over and update this regularly since I cannot, feel free.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Noticed mention of the core. I recently received a free core from WL in exchange for helping with the website.
While I cannot give power measurements, I can say that other users have reported rock steady output at ~4mW. The transverse mode is a steady TEM00.
It is also IR filtered and has optical feedback regulation. I have also used it with 2xAAA "Duraloops." I have not measured runtimes.
Has square threads, which I found to be a surprising touch. Nice and smooth. The body is brass, so I guess the black coating is paint. It feels really smooth, hard to grip. No features like a clip to help you there.
The button is a little tough to push, i.e. it is close to flush with the body and offers more physical resistance to being pushed than other momentary switches. This can be a plus or a minus, depending on how you use it.

edit: rule 6 still confuses me, so I'll make this clear: I received this for free as payment for work. They were not expecting a review, and I was not offering one in exchange for a free laser. I don't work for WL, but I guess that is kind of like, freelance work? It was this offer where you email in bugs you find in the website and they fix the bugs and send you a free gift for your trouble. So yeah, I don't think this was a special review unit, but just so you know how I came to be in possession of this pointer, there ya go!

Last edited:

treliving

Newly Enlightened
Alot of great information in this guide, thank you. Anyone know of a great place to buy a good quality laser. I have purchased a few lasers and most of them come out of China. I have purchased from all price ranges and they all seem to be junk. I shouldn't say money is no object but I am willing to pay for a good quality laser that will last for year rather than 1 - 2 months.

Any information is appreciated.

Thank you.

Latest posts