The Ultimate Peppermill

jook

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Minjin said:
To keep on topic, why do I need a peppermill and why is it better than a 1 dollar pepper shaker? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Mark

[/ QUOTE ]
The thought that someone who collects flashlights wouldn't have at least a primo example of a storage device for a spice that was responsible for wars left me reeling...

Sorry! Couldn't resist.... someone on CFP said basically the same thing to me yesterday when I asked a similar question about pocket knives. I had to do penance and go stand in the corner.

If you don't think pepper is the greatest thing to come along since fire, then all you need is a can of McCormick's ground pepper. Or use the same analogy to instant coffee vs. good fresh coffee. Have you ever tried freshly ground good quality peppercorns? And all the peppermill does is facilitate the grounding and enables you to adjust the coarseness.

TOB9595

Enlightened
Ahhhh, pepper.
It is nigh impossible to find a good peppermill..
Once you do hang on to it.
I'm in search of another, replacement, mill.
I'll try one of the above..
Anyone ever try OXIO brand..
If I remember.. they're rated very highly.
Thanks
Tom

L3

Newly Enlightened
Minjin,

Your support and common sense are appreciated. Peppermills are significant and beneficial because of the special flavorful appeal conveyed by freshly ground pepper. Also, a surprising variety of peppercorns are available for use in grinders. The kinds and varieties go far beyond what would otherwise be available.

Penzey's, mentioned by others, is an excellent source of all kinds of spices, including various peppercorns.

Reluctant as some folks are to recognize that good peppermills are extremely rare, it important to note that the Unicorn Magnum is a special example. There is a tendency for people to think that the peppermill they have and use is above average. The truth is that time and effort are too limited to allow independent research by each person. Here is an opportunity to learn from others. How do you know that this is true? Just read the references.

Enjoy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

L3

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
The as Zassenhaus mills mentioned by javafool are right up there with the best too. Their coffee mills are second to NONE.

Many good choices listed here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tom David
William Bounds
Peugot
Zassenhaus

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
L3,

For the record, I have absolutely no problem with your posting style, and I couldn't have been more pleased to find someone HIGHLY recommmending a particular grinder. I have intuitively sensed for a long long time that all the pepper mills I saw at the stores were more or less junk. Crap. And not cheap either. So I have refrained from buying a mill for something over TEN YEARS! I honestly can't thank you enough for this post and your uncompromising endorsement of this product. I am going to carefully check this out.

Personally, I like to get my information on products from people who are enthusiastic about those products. When I want to know about SureFires, I want to hear from someone like Size15s or chamenos. When I want to know about Lux III's and LED lights, I want to hear from someone like LEDmodMan.

So when someone is posting an "ultimate" type rave, I click on it and feel very thankful. Too often I see a "reasonable" laudry list of possible choices with provisos such as "there are a lot of good choices" and general recommendations such as "look for mills with . . ." YES, these type articles/posts are helpful, but I prefer to read three or four specific recommendations of products that the reviewers LOVED and WHY. Then I can draw my own conclusions about what is probably best for me.

As for Zassenhaus mills, I have their knee mill coffee grinder and it is AWESOME! The quality of grind is hard to beat at any price, and is impossible to beat for the $60-$70 it costs. The tradeoff? It's hand cranked. Personally, I like that. Puts me in the whole coffee mood and all.

But anyway, I suspect their pepper grinder is pretty good too! I'll have to check both of these out.

I have never felt too sure about the Peugot mills, on the other hand. No good reason. Just a gut feeling.

Anyway, thanks for this. And thanks LEDmodMan for the list you just posted above.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
I like the Perfex salt and pepper grinders. The only downside or possible upside is that it isn't large like a fence post but that means you have to fill it up more often.

L3

Newly Enlightened
js,

Sincere thanks for those kind words. A little kindness goes a long way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bob

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
The way peppermills were explained to me as a kid.

There are 2 main styles made - Italian, which have a spring, and from what I understand cut courser when tightened - I never really used one long enough to know, and French (read Puegot) , they have no spring, and the and you losen to cut courser. The thing is, it's hard to find French style mills. I found a real nice one when I was first married, but the "boutique" woodwork, which looked nice, cracked in a couple of years. By that time, I had found a nice classic one, and have been using it since - Mom and Dad have had their's for at least 50 years, and I suspect they MAY have been my grandparents before that!!! (have to ask Dad). Nice old patina on them, and they work great

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Unicorn Magnum peppermill about 5 years ago after they were rated as best by Cooks Illustrated. I have a couple friends that also do a lot of cooking, and after using mine, one bought 2 plus the salt grinder, and the other also bought one. While "best" is subjective, I can say that these are outstanding mills that work exactly the way they should. They hold their adjustment and put out a LOT of pepper (or salt) per turn. Plus, they hold enough that you don't have to fill them often, and when you do, they have a nice, big, opening so you don't spill the peppercorns all over the place. I also buy most of my spices from Penzeys. I used to mail order, but they opened a shop a couple blocks from my favorite local brewpub a couple years ago, so now I can stop on the way!

L3

Newly Enlightened
Hi Fitz,

It is good to see comments from someone with specific experience. The term "best", as it relates to peppermills, is not inherently subjective. How appropriately the term is applied depends upon who is using it. There have been a number of objective assessments of peppermills by publications and users who know which factors and performance features determine quality and how to compare them.

In the case of peppermills, some of the quantifiable performance features include ease and consistency of grinding, quality and durability of materials and construction, special design features as evidenced by patents and mechanical characteristics, and resistance to impact damage. As you know, test results have more than once placed the Unicorn grinders in first place.

Thanks for your remarks.

L3

javafool

Enlightened
The only disadvantage I found with the Zassenhaus pepper mills I own is you have to remove the coarseness adjustment knob to refill the mill. It' not a big deal to readjust every time it is refilled but a minor PITA.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's one of the nice things about the Magnum- you rotate the collar at the top of the body a 1/4 turn to open the "fill hole" so there's no re-adjustment to do.

felder

Newly Enlightened
Hmm...I've been hunting for a peppermill. Mine works ok, but it likes to loosen itself as I turn it. Very annoying. I have tighten it all the time as I use it.

How is the grinding size adjusted on this one? Also is the grinding mechanism ceramic?

L3

Newly Enlightened
Hello felder,

Grind size is contolled, in the Magnum and Magnum Plus, by a spring-stabilized thumb screw located in the bottom of the assembly. The grinding elements are composed of hardened steel.

As you observe from this thread, I highly recommend these peppermills and continue to assert that they are the best available. You can always purchase direct from Tom David, Inc., or you may wish to run some checks with the major Shopping Bots to arrive at an optimum price. Try PriceGrabber for a quick check.

Good luck!

L3

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a screw on the bottom to adjust the grind. It uses a steel mechanism that's made in Italy. I haven't had any problems with mine going out of adjustment.

L3

Newly Enlightened
alanhuth,

A specific reference is what most people would want. Also, no single review necessarily is the 'final word'.

And, of course, FRANCE really deserves American support.

L3

jook

Newly Enlightened
Being in the business (sort of) and having kept abreast of such things, the reviews seem to be equally divided between Peugeot and the Magnum. And the Zassenhaus is always mentioned. Having used both the Peugeot and the Magnum extensively, my persoanl opinion is that the Magnum is #1 from purely a utilitarian standpoint, while the Peugeot is not quite the workhorse but is more crafted.

Flashlightboy mentioned the Perfex. This was the first "quality" peppermill and salt mill combo I ever bought. [I fail to see what the heck anyone needs a salt mill for though.] While it's one of the prettiest and best crafted mills I've seen - I still keep it on my table for show - it's not very practical. Adjusting the coarseness is a crapshoot and, as FLB mentioned, it only holds a small quantity - roughtly 3 twists worth of the Magnum ;-0

Coffemills and coffee/espresso makers is another (good) subject in conjunction with this one. There is a whole world of such afficionados/snobs out there.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
jook said:
Coffemills and coffee/espresso makers is another (good) subject in conjunction with this one. There is a whole world of such afficionados/snobs out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Coffee thread for the Café

Which Coffee maker?

So what are you implying there jook? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

You'll see many of the same names there as you have seen here, btw.

[ QUOTE ]
felder said:
Also is the grinding mechanism ceramic?

[/ QUOTE ]

The William Bounds mills have a ceramic worm (the center part of the milling mechanism) and a stainless steel outside piece. I know that Bed, Bath and Beyond (a large national retail chain) does carry a select few of their mills for a decent price.