The value of a "tactical" light for civilian concealed-carry

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Chances are, if you have to draw your handgun while out & about, it's going to be under less than ideal conditions. Tactical light with a momentary switch on the left side, possibly clipped to a pants pocket. Firearm on the right side, either in an IWB holster or in a pocket holster. Get used to drawing the light with your non-dominant hand. Handgun always with the dominant one.

Chances are, when you truly need your gun; you're going to need more light than what's around you in the form of ambient light.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
if ambient light is so low that you can't even make that assessment then as a flashaholic you should already have a flashlight turned on LOL

but even a typical "dark alley" has enough ambient light to make it possible for you to assess the situation

You sound like you've already made up your mind then...

Want 2 hands free to draw your firearm? why not get a weapon mountable light? :devil:

Last edited:

BillSWPA

Enlightened
A few responses to various posts, presented somewhat randomly . . .

I carry a handgun everywhere it is legal to do so, and a light everywhere. The light has been a Surefire E-series 2xCR123 light since about 2002 or 2003, starting with an E2E, L4 (for more years than any other light), and currently E2D LED. I have not found the lights to be burdensome to carry, and have EDC'd Z-series lights before that time.

If you are carrying a handgun, one hand drawing, shooting, reloading, and malfunction clearing should be part of your skill set. If they are not, seek additional training. So, using one hand to manipulate the light should not be a disadvantage.

Tritium sights are quite visible, and even helpful, in sufficient light to identify threats, unless they are dimming out and in need of replacement. Complete darkness is not required in order to see them. If you are facing complete darkness, you may wish to use your light quickly to identify your target, and then use your tritium sights, without the light, to engage the target. You then want to MOVE.

It is impossible to predict the situation you will face in advance. You may have a reason to have the light out in advance, or you may not. You may have enough light without your light to make the decisions you need to make, or you may not. In any event, having the light with you is never a disadvantage.

Regarding comments about not carrying a gun but being trained in the martial arts, they are not mutually exclusive alternatives, but instead are both complementary pieces of the puzzle. The martial arts will be more useful in a wider variety of situations, including those not rising to the level of deadly force, or those requiring creating the opportunity to access the gun. Some situations, however, will not be resolvable without the gun.

Regarding weapon mounted lights, they have their place. However, if you are searching, do you want to cover everything you need to see with the muzzle of your gun? Probably not in most cases.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nicely written bill,

My perspective may be a bit different concerning weapon mounted lights since I am a Police officer. If my weapon is out it is because there is or has been a threat of serious bodily injury or death by a suspect. If my weapon is out of it's holster then I am prepared to use it at that time. Using a light on the weapon to light my target or suspect can be the norm. If I am clearing a building I just may be using a weapon mounted light to cover everything because of the imminent threat.

When off duty I do carry a smaller light and I would not use a weapon mounted light. In fact off duty I won't do any searches but will direct on duty units who arrive to the last known location of a suspect. My duty weapon and off duty weapon have night sites. There are several different thoughts on the use of lights for defensive applications. Each has valid points and each has points that may not suit the needs of the circumstances at any given time.

In the end, it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
My rationale for carrying a "tactical" light is it helps me avoid that sort of situation in the first place.

Also, if I'm in a long dark narrow alleyway, the light's already in my hand. I carry a G2Z in a Wilson Combat holster, so it's comfortable and easy to carry; the ability to simply see what's going on can help keep situations from getting out of control. Or it can help me find the keys that fell out of my pocket and without which I'm going to spend a half-hour or more loitering in a dark parking lot while AAA sends a truck.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though I'm not an officer and I can't carry a gun, I believe in gradual escalation approach. I'm a city maint carpenter and when homeless have broken into a vacant property, I've been aloud to help clear buildings. I walk through the building with a flashlight and hammer, the flashlight is off but ready unless it's dark. If I find someone ligh goes on but aimed below the eyeline, if they appear aggressive then shine the light in there eyes and ready the hammer while calling for assistance. The Zebralight Sc600 has taken the fight right out of the few that have had weapons.
A Nailbender Sst50 single mode in a 6pd was my go too light till I got the Zebralight

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for not having the patience to read all the replies here. But here are my experiences and observations regarding lights and firearms.

1. A flashlight is such a handy tool that it doesnt make sense not to have one EDC anyway. Given the current technology of today you can have bright, small, and a variety of battery options. I like the V10R Ti with extender. It runs on a variety of batteries and most importantly of all, AA alkalines for emergencies and is still plenty bright.

2. Shooting with a flashlight in hand requires a lot of practice. Training helps but you can watch plenty of youtube videos on low light shooting to get a few good ideas. It is paramount that you try these out IN THE DARK. No matter how competent of a shooter you are, try doing it in the dark. This poses a lot of problems for some. I have a difficult time finding a place where I can shoot in the dark. Most if not all ranges will not turn the lights off. Public outdoor ranges dont operate long enough for the sun to go down.

I am a member of a local shooting club. 10 months out of the year we shoot outdoors. During Jan and Feb we go to an indoor range due to the cold. It has been my mission to introduce low light shooting to my fellow members. There were plenty of fumbles and errors just because they had a hard time manipulating the gun in the dark. Then add the problem of having a light in your hand. Quite a few of them had the wrong mentality IMHO. They just quit. "oh I have a jam" or "I dropped my light" etc. Just think how it is going to work when you need it? It wont.

Trust me, just getting yourself and your gun up and running in the dark is tough enough. Just wait until you start thinking about manipulating from concealment or a possible force on force scenario. People never "rise up" to the occasion. They settle to what they have practiced These guys had difficulty manipulating their guns in the dark and they are only stressed about the timer running and their performance. It isnt even a life threatening event.

Think of the skill, to use a light while shooting, as another tool in your tool box. You dont know when and if you will need it, but it is good to know how to use it when you need it.

Last edited:

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
I dont carry a gun - correction; in my state concealed carry is not allowed. The light is my first and last defense. I carry it out set to turbo/strobe, in my hand when I'm walking in what I feel is a sketchy area. My plan is to disorient someone, then book it before they recover.

Last edited:

flashlight nut

Enlightened
I dont carry a gun - correction; in my state concealed carry is not allowed. The light is my first and last defense. I carry it out set to turbo/strobe, in my hand when I'm walking in what I feel is a sketchy area. My plan is to disorient someone, then book it before they recover. IF I so need, I suppose a flashlight held in your fist is a good defensive tool too.

ikeyballz, you are new to the forum (welcome) so I am sure you are unaware of certain rules. Discussions on using a flashlight as a hand held weapon is frowned upon in this forum a may get the thread closed. So far we have discussed the use of a flashlight in conjunction with a firearm, and frankly I am surprised we haven't been visited by a moderator but i am sure they are monitoring this thread. Even though your statement has merit and no bad intentions, this is not the place to discuss such techniques. I have seen a few threads close rather quickly for this very reason.
I must say that there have been many good responses and interesting personal accounts.

fishndad

Enlightened
I dont carry a gun - correction; in my state concealed carry is not allowed. The light is my first and last defense. I carry it out set to turbo/strobe, in my hand when I'm walking in what I feel is a sketchy area. My plan is to disorient someone, then book it before they recover. IF I so need, I suppose a flashlight held in your fist is a good defensive tool too.

i dont walk in sketchy areas!

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
There is no reason not to carry a flashlight, because no matter where you live it will be nighttime 12 hours a day on average. Also there is no reason to carry a light you can't make ready at a moment's notice, because there's no reason to carry ANY tool you can't make ready at a moment's notice. You don't need the excuse of "tactical advantage" to justify carrying useful tools that work well, even though half the cops who've seen my flashlight ask why I'm not content to use something inferior.

Ask them if they'd carry a cheap pistol or possibly defective rounds for their sidearm...

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Zebralight Sc600 has taken the fight right out of the few that have had weapons.
A Nailbender Sst50 single mode in a 6pd was my go too light till I got the Zebralight

Perhaps they thought that you were an LEO purely from the output that was cascading from your Zebralight lol. After all, the average CPFer carries some way more than average "firepower" than an average person, just of a different kind :thumbsup: If reasoning doesn't work, then show them the light!

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
ikeyballz, you are new to the forum (welcome) so I am sure you are unaware of certain rules. Discussions on using a flashlight as a hand held weapon is frowned upon in this forum a may get the thread closed. So far we have discussed the use of a flashlight in conjunction with a firearm, and frankly I am surprised we haven't been visited by a moderator but i am sure they are monitoring this thread. Even though your statement has merit and no bad intentions, this is not the place to discuss such techniques. I have seen a few threads close rather quickly for this very reason.
I must say that there have been many good responses and interesting personal accounts.

oops, sorry - I didnt mean it in that way, I meant it in a "as good as a rock/ throw and run away" way.

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
i dont walk in sketchy areas!

I wish I had that choice... I work late at my lab sometimes and when I leave around midnight/2am theres normally no one around. Theres security that walks around, but there have been some muggings in my area.

Steve Barnhart

Newly Enlightened
As a police tactical instructor, I give this simple advice to my students. If you carry a gun, carry a flashlight. (And a knife, but that's not what we're discussing.)

To my non-law enforcement friends, I give this simple advice. Carry a gun and a flashlight. And a knife. Sound familiar?

Only you can protect yourself and your family, unless an officer just happens to be with you at the moment of danger. Look a round you right now. See any cops?

Besides, 99% of the time now I am not pointing a gun at someone.

-Steve

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no reason not to carry a flashlight, because no matter where you live it will be nighttime 12 hours a day on average.
Not quite. It wont be dark at all around here before sometime in august. I carry a light anyway, but it wont see mutch use.

In winter, it's dark 24h a day, and we dont see sunlight at all for months. It's my flashoholic season :)

fyrstormer

Banned
Not quite. It wont be dark at all around here before sometime in august. I carry a light anyway, but it wont see mutch use.

In winter, it's dark 24h a day, and we dont see sunlight at all for months. It's my flashoholic season :)
I think you need to look up the definition of the word "average". ;) If you add the nighttime hours for all the days of the year, and divide by 365, you will get ~12 hours of nighttime per day.

I could never live that far north. I can deal with midnight sun and polar twilight, but I can't deal with the cold. All I want is weather that is 70 degrees year-round, so I never have to worry about dressing properly. Why is that too much to ask? :)

Last edited:

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would, but it occurs to me that asking a cop about the condition of their gun is a good way to harassed.

Hm...They might arrest somebody for illegal possession of a weapon if they unwittingly imply that their flashlight is "equated" to a gun or other weapon of some sort...SOME (not most) cops are stupid enough to do that lol. Same goes with cops who deny people their amendment rights. ROFLSMH.

flashlight nut

Enlightened
Hm...They might arrest somebody for illegal possession of a weapon if they unwittingly imply that their flashlight is "equated" to a gun or other weapon of some sort...SOME (not most) cops are stupid enough to do that lol. Same goes with cops who deny people their amendment rights. ROFLSMH.

Are you kidding me?!?