The vintage California cop light company thread

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey now! Very nice! Did you score that low serial Vari-Beam too?? It's one of the few lights I am really really sad to have missed out on.

The Vari-Beams were anodized in Standard Blue but Standard Blue changed to a much darker color in 1990. The old Standard Blue then was brought back as a Sky Blue, Shimmer Blue or Ice Blue on the 1992+ Panther Lights.

I have pics of most of these finishes on my bog at: http://maglitehistory.blogspot.com/2017/08/special-order-colors-and-panther.html

konifans

Enlightened
Hey now! Very nice! Did you score that low serial Vari-Beam too?? It's one of the few lights I am really really sad to have missed out on.

The Vari-Beams were anodized in Standard Blue but Standard Blue changed to a much darker color in 1990. The old Standard Blue then was brought back as a Sky Blue, Shimmer Blue or Ice Blue on the 1992+ Panther Lights.

I have pics of most of these finishes on my bog at: http://maglitehistory.blogspot.com/2017/08/special-order-colors-and-panther.html
No I did not bid that 4C Vari-Beam. I regret the decision I made. I have no special interest with serial number but when I receive that 2C Vari-Beam I really like that blue and silver combination. I like that sky blue so much!

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried to take a better picture. It's of a Midnight Blue, 1990+ Standard Blue Mini Mag, Vari-Beam and an Ice Blue 2D. I'm not the greatest at taking pics but I think the Midnight blue is a dark purple. The Standard Blue is a royal blue. The Vari-Beams have a couple different shades. I have about a dozen total, about 4 of which are brand new. Some match the Ice Blue exactly and some are a little darker. Hope this helps!!

EDujtdX.jpg

konifans

Enlightened
Got a used blue AA on Ebay but I think it is royal blue and darker than the Vari-Beam's sky blue.
So here is a fake Vari-Beam AA:sssh:

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice! Only a handful of AA Vari-Beams were made at the end of Vari-Beam production and the beginning of Mini Maglite production in 1984. I've heard less than 1,000 total. I only know of one in existence and I've been trying to buy it for the last couple of years.

I think I have some very good, rare, interesting additions set to arrive this week that hopefully I'll have time to post. They came from the estate of someone who was most certainly a member on here and lived in either New Hampshire or Vermont. He had a large collection of lights mostly Surefire and Fivemega but a couple odd Mags and Kel-Lites too. Maybe someone can help me identify him when I get the lights in.

konifans

Enlightened
Maglite Magcharger Halogen
Nothing special, but still a California cop light :twothumbs
I have 3 with single mode (RX1019) and 1 with multi mode (RE1019)

uc

uc

I have never seen an incandescent flashlight comes with the function of adjusting brightness and strobe... Maybe this is the only one?

uc

uc

RX1019 @2002

uc

RX1019 @2005 and RE1019 @2011

You see the difference of the Halogen lamps?

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
All right, so as promised here's some pics and a little history of a very rare light I was lucky enough to pick up recently.

Pharo-Tech / Luma-Tech started the whole re-chargeable flashlight market. They originally produced conversions for stock Kel-Lites and L.A. Screw lights that added NiCad Batteries and a special end cap along with their wall mounted charger. In 1979 they developed the first specifically designed rechargeable flashlight. It was manufactured in conjunction with Kel-Lite but unfortunately only 35 units total were produced as prototypes to gauge interest in the market. This is one of those original 35 produced. Kel-Lite stopped production shortly after and was sold to Streamlight where Streamlight worked to develop their own SL-20, the first commercially available rechargeable flashlight. These Pharo-Tech rechargeable lights were produced in extremely small numbers and were never commercially available but nonetheless are an important part of flashlight history and served as the proof of concept for most flashlights that are around today.

This light is shown below with a first gen 2C Kel-Lite. It is longer than a 2C but shorter than a 3C. It is likely cut down from a 3C to fit the special 4 cell NiCad battery pack.

w619N7Y.jpg

8mwyo3n.jpg

YhGNLff.jpg

gpsG8t6.jpg

This light also has a ceramic base Halogen bulb. It has no writing or stamping on it and I haven't seen another like it.

kWN55BU.jpg

Mine is missing the cradle charger but a pic of it can be seen in the Norm Nelson estate collection at: http://kellite911.blogspot.com/ about half way down on the page along with some early sales literature.

Shown below is this prototype Pharo-Tech along with one of the most special lights I own, the prototype of the Mag Charger. I have a couple 2nd gen SL-20s also but I've never been lucky enough to find a 1st gen.

eZJXyGY.jpg

DKFAocU.jpg

I also have a long long write up about early rechargeable flashlights on both my blogs at http://otherflashlights.blogspot.com/2017/08/streamlight-sl-20-and-early.html and https://maglitehistory.blogspot.com/2017/07/1980-prototype-mag-charger-and.html

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Realizing this threads revolves around vintage California lights, Maglite has managed to remain a viable flashlight maker in 2018 with new versions of Solitaires, C size and D size lighting tools. They've even reintroduced 4 and 6D sized lights that appear very similar to the classics while incorparating Maglite reliability.
And still made in California from parts sourced locally when practical.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am really digging the new ML25IT and LT. I have been meaning to pick one up, twisty is my preferred format and they are such a simple light they must be reliable. That being said I've only seen one officer carrying a Maglite out of all them that I work with and it was a Mag-Tac. I haven't seen a full size mag on the force in years and years. I'd say it's 60% Streamlights, 39% Surefires, and 1% others.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I remember years ago a State Trooper saying "I don't know why people say Maglites are cop lights. Cops carry Streamlights". I took that to mean departments issued Streamlights so that's what police carried.

My local yocals carry junk and leave their issued Streamlights in the car. The Statees carry super Stingers in my state. Some have smaller backup lights.

I'm just bummed that so many of the remaining California Cop Light companies have chosen foreign made, but understand since they compete with all those junk light makers these days.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone see this beaut on everyone's favorite auction site? It's an extremely rare 1st Gen Stud-Lite. Looks like it needs a little work but looks complete. I actually don't think it's as early as the seller says, Norm Nelson came up with the Stud-Lite concept and made them after Don's departure. Kel-Lite under Nelson never updated the C cell design to the 2nd gen, they continued to produce 1st first gen models due to lack of demand for a C cell so this is likely from after 1972. Very cool piece and I would be a buyer if I wasn't building a motorcycle this winter. My wife told me I have to stick to Maglites only while I'm putting my bike together.

4jDLVIy.jpg

7RoWONZ.jpg

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that's how you can tell it's a later light too. It's Kel-Lite / Stud-Lite "Store-a-bulb" option. These came out later in the run but I can't remember the exact date.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, yes, that is also the extended, "store-a-bulb", end cap. Nice large head BTW, looks brand new! Almost all of the D cell Kel-Lites had them except for the very earliest. I only have one, a very early 5D in silver that has the flat end cap.

vm029Vx.jpg

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
A relative of mine recently asked me to take a look at an old flashlight to try to make it brighter. I figured it was likely an old bright star or Maglite but to my surprise it was actually a Streamlight Excaliber and it's unlike any I've seen before.

FTv8f6W.jpg

ldc7XTl.jpg

For starters it has the very rare lanyard ring end cap option. It's also red, well now pink. Unfortunately it is the Excaliber and not the 3rd Gen Kel-Lite though so the reflector, switch and lens are not serviceable. These lights were very high quality but for me that dings them quite a bit. It's tough to compete with Maglite when you basically have a throwaway light the first time something breaks on it. I also have a 3rd Gen Kel-Lite in blue which does have the serviceable reflector and lens. As shown on the end cap it is post Kel-Lite and Streamlight merger due to the Norristown / Barstow stamping but it is before Streamlight ultimately closed the Barstow location which puts this light in the mid 80s.

bBFTxFr.jpg

I put a generic PR based LED drop in in the light with a fresh set of Duracell alkalines. Over I recommended sticking the light on a shelf and picking up a new one but he's rather attached. He remembers getting it in the mid 80s from his employer, a petroleum company and using it ever since.