The vintage California cop light company thread

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing! One more treasure has been saved by you again.

I though the face cap is silver anodised aluminum instead of stainless steel?

For C cell Kel-Lite I like the cute little 2C and I have 7 of them. And for D cell Kel-Lite I like the 7D so much and I have 3. The 7D feels much more substantial than my Maglite 6D - I don't have a 7D yet - because the Kel-Lite has a larger head. I also have a Tru-Grit 7D, which has a small head just like the Maglite but the body is so thick and the knurling is so sharp and I think the body feels much stronger than Kel-Lite or Maglite. The longest C cell flashlight I have is a Maglite 7C. I am also interested in the Kel-Lite BTL and if the price and condition is right I will definitely get some.
Thanks!! These lights are fun little projects. I wish some of them lasted a little longer because after they're done I might use them to walk the dogs for a night or two and then they go on my display shelf for a long long time.

At least the Baton Lights have a stainless steel face cap. It's about 4 times heavier than the standard aluminum face cap. Now I know Stud-Lites and other models do have a silver aluminum face cap. The stainless steel is much more durable. It was actually easy to cut the aluminum away with the dremel because it was so much softer. Even when I did hit the stainless steel with the dremel wheel it did not damage it. The Baton Lights got the stainless instead of the aluminum to help them hold up for "policing" duties.

The BTL-26s seem to sell for the most money out of all the Baton Lights because I think a lot of people view them as the longest flashlight ever made so I think a few different types of collectors are after them. The BTL-22s and BTL-18s sell for quite a bit less.

You have an awesome collection yourself! I really like the 2 - 1/2D Kel-Lite you picked up a while back. I've been after one of those for a while.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are another couple of items I've been meaning to share for a while. They are a very rare 1968 1st Gen Kel-Lite and Don Keller's Manual of Defensive Tactics. The 1968 Kel-Lites were the very first ones produced and the very beginning of the aluminum cop lights. (Although this may be debatable as a company called Rudisill produced an earlier aluminum light) They are extremely difficult to find because only a few hundred were produced. I had never actually seen one until I was able to purchase this one. I don't know that I've ever seen one posted. The light is mostly the same as later 1st Gen models. The big exception is the knurled end cap. The light is also stamped San Dimas. Later lights were made in Covina or Barstow. The very early lights also lack a serial number.

OTSIyDT.jpg

MP74HH1.jpg

cFX4W3o.jpg

This one is very rough but does work and is all original. It belonged to a California cop and he has engraved his name and an ID number in several places. I've never seen another and I'm not surprised as it is now 54 years old and it is believed that less than 300 were ever made. I have no break down of head sizes or cell type but I have heard that early large head D cells like this were among the rarest. The C cells were a lot more common as is true with other Kel-Lites.

The manual is from a different owner and I had been after one of these for a long time too. They are also really tough to find especially in good shape. They are an interesting look into early policing tactics using flashlights. I would love to scan and share this because they are so hard to find and I think there is a lot of interest but I don't know the legality of that. I don't see a copy right listed anywhere and these are no longer for sale but I'll let someone more knowledgeable than me chime in.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I would love to scan and share this because they are so hard to find and I think there is a lot of interest but I don't know the legality of that. I don't see a copy right listed anywhere

Without a copyright, and a defunct publisher, copy away. If anyone claims ownership they can file a takedown notice if they mind.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without a copyright, and a defunct publisher, copy away. If anyone claims ownership they can file a takedown notice if they mind.

I would love to copy and share as I have a high resolution scanner at work. Can the mods or anyone chime in to let me know if this is allowable here? I can post them in this thread.

It's kinda strange how the original inception (to my knowledge) were never produced until his days at Brinkmann.

What do you mean? I certainly like push button switches a lot better than slide switches. The slide switches I think were the weak leak on these older lights. I get they're a lot simpler and cheaper to manufacture, and make for a shorter light but even the best designs didn't seem as durable as a good push button switch.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If you look at the photos of what were supposed to be prototypes in post 424 and look at the Brinkmann……
But when the protypes were conceived a sliding switch was the norm. Actually I like the gen 1 slider. It was one of my favorite features on the B-Lites he did with John Bianchi as well.

Bonedoc

Newly Enlightened
I don't comment much at all but this is a GREAT thread. I used a Kel-Lite for ten years... worn and scratched, dropped on concrete, run over and yet it worked forever (but after 40 years I cannot find it, sigh). Great lights. Most departments started to restrict their use due "improper use", riiiggghhhttt. Thanks for the memories!!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Did you see any B-Lites or other brands like LA Screw back then bonedoc?

36FCF89D-D252-4A3E-BA2D-67D999555081.jpeg

A 2D mid-size head Bianchi B-Lite circa 1977.
It came from an estate sale of a California cop.
Notice the Maglite look? Don Keller worked with Tony Maglica in early Maglite days. This size head was adopted by Maglite.

EA42611B-AB9D-4383-9B64-3F975681F873.jpeg

Hybrid plastic reflector tosses light well with no artifacts. If I recall correct this is the same reflector used by LA Screw.
This one has a Maglite xenon PR base bulb. Note the stainless looking bezel ring lens fastener inside the 52mm head. An ultra-clear hard coat lens from flashlight lens dot com replaced the original one.

3AF90003-60BA-4CD5-92BA-967CDECE272A.jpeg

The slider signals from off with a positive detent for on.
Side rails prevent unintended turn on.

27DB5D55-383F-41EE-80D2-7222575DF2F9.jpeg

"Daddy, daddy, you're my hero" sticker left intact.

I may have shown this one in this thread already.
John Bianchi made leather products for police like holsters and extra parts carriers. One day he and Don put their heads together and built some flashlights. Weighty hunks of anodized alluminum built to last.

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't the earlier 10b versions have mechanical issues?
Back in the day I could have bought one cheap, "over the counter" in Salt Lake City. In '68 all ya had to be was a cash carrying customer, and 18 yrs old.. Bringing it back over state line to CA was another story (;

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really don't know much about the service record of the 10B. It used a popular off the shelf High Standard action in that wacky plastic chassis. They were tuned for full power buck. I can see how they could have some issues, but the problems Ian had with the one in his Forgottenweapons review was due to a flukey issue with a pin coming out inside the receiver.

Ever you ever want to see some good 10B action check out "Shaft's Big Score."

Shafts_Big_Score_1972.jpg

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Bill, I don't. I never could find a good use for it. So I put it in my Surefire parts box. Do you know of any battery setups it would work with. It's pretty short so I'm guessing maybe 2 x 18500?

I billion years ago I made a short spacer that would let you use 3x123 in a 6R with the 9P's bulb. Not sure what the modern equivalent of that setup would be.

spacers.JPG

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the author of this book I have no problem with you scanning and sharing the contents of my book Kel-Lite Manual of Defensive Tactics.

Don Keller

Very cool, welcome to CPF, Don. We've spoken by email but it was back when I started collecting police flashlights almost two decades ago. At this point I have probably close to 150 items you've had a hand in designing or selling, including a copy of your book. Not every day one man virtually creates an entire industry.

konifans

Enlightened
Wow! Let's keep posting Kel-Lite :buttrock:
This is a BTL-22 in almost mint condition. Made in 1972...

DSC_5368.jpg

DSC_5395.jpg

DSC_5398.jpg

DSC_5382.jpg

DSC_5389.jpg

DSC_5334.jpg

DSC_5361.jpg

Left to right: BTL-22, Mag 6c, 7C, 6D, Lel-Lite 7D, 7D, 7D

Attachments

• DSC_5374.jpg
    DSC_5374.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 118

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I billion years ago I made a short spacer that would let you use 3x123 in a 6R with the 9P's bulb. Not sure what the modern equivalent of that setup would be.

View attachment 26043
Brother, when I first got the KL1 converstion kit with the extension to make a rechargeable G2 with the ole' B65 battery, I did the same thing. The P90 in the plastic G2. Epic. LOL, yes I also had a bunch of pieces of cutoff metal rod with tape around them.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know how Sigmalite serial numbers were organized? I get the sense that each size/style of light had its own range but I can't be sure. Are the serial numbers purely sequential or do they have a code in them? Also, how early did the logo and patent status change, and how late were the rubber sleeve models introduced? What was behind some of their later lights being branded "LITESTIK"?

I have a crazy one you guys'll enjoy seeing. Looks like it was used as a test object for their engraving machines so it has markings randomly printed all over the barrel.

Last edited:

Latest posts