The Wallet Thread!

m209

Banned
Can you recommend a Maxpedition wallet or pouch to wear on my belt? I am considering the Rat Wallet. I want to be able to remove it easily without unbuckling my belt. I am looking for a small pouch to carry my wallet, 2 sets of keys, knife, pen and sometimes a small cell phone. I live in a hot climate so I often don't wear a jacket and I don't want to pack everthing in my pants pocket.

I already have a fatboy and a backpack. M1 & M2 can't be removed without unbuckling my belt so I probably will not buy them. What about the Rat Wallet?

Advice and recommendations are welcomed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Can you recommend a Maxpedition wallet or pouch to wear on my belt?

I think the reply you got on bladeforums was correct -- the vast majority of Max's products go on and off with malice clips or through a sewn belt loops, and both of those are a pain. But, looking just at the pictures on the Max site, it looks like the Rat has a velcro'ed belt loop, and if it does, you'll be able to take the wallet on and off the belt easily. Your best bet is to send an email to Max to confirm.

My only comment on the Rat is that I personally find fastex buckles a pain to use -- you'll be fumbling with the buckle each time you extract or put away whatever is in that front pocket. But, that may not bother you.

I handled a Rat and a Pug once a while back, and though I don't remember the details, I do remember that they are both very well-built, like all Max products.

Joe

Last edited:

Malpaso

Enlightened

Have you looked at the Spec Ops "The Wallet" and "The Wallet Jr."? www.lapolicegear.com has them.

m209

Banned

Thanks Malpaso but I'm looking to put my leather wallet, keys, cellphone and small pen in it so I'll need an expandable wallet.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a no name item I picked up at a Lowes or Homebase for about $10.00. It held my VX-5R radio nicely but is a bit small for my vx-7r.
They had several other models that held a variety of items.
I bought it because it has a good metal clip which will slip onto a belt and both a vertical and horizontal slot. Both will take at least a 2 inch belt and the one that would hold it vertically will take three or more inches.
Quality seems good and a local cop has been using one for quite a while.

m209

Banned

Is the Rat Wallet easy to take off and put on? Is it difficult to sit down when you have it attached to your belt?

ghostrider1

Newly Enlightened

You can use an M2 if you use the old alice type clips. Works for me.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened

ghostrider1 said:
You can use an M2 if you use the old alice type clips. Works for me.

Do they still sell those clips? Thanks.

m209

Banned

Are old alice type clips easy to attach and remove quickly? If you use the old alice type clips with the M2 then you will be wearing the M2 sideways.

Are there pics of old alice type clips on the internet? Please post urls of pics. Can you buy the old alice clips on the internet?

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast

m209 said:
Are old alice type clips easy to attach and remove quickly?

Nope...they're faster than malice clips though...but not quick by any means...

If you use the old alice type clips with the M2 then you will be wearing the M2 sideways.

True...I never said it was a viable option -- just that they are plentiful and readily available. :D

Are there pics of old alice type clips on the internet? Please post urls of pics. Can you buy the old alice clips on the internet?

Ok, I will google it myself and post links later...(done)
http://images.google.com/images?q=alice+clips&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images
http://www.copquest.com/26-3070.jpg

$3.50 for 4 clips...
http://www.copquest.com/26-3000.htm

Another source.....50 cents each...
http://www.imsplus.com/ims1f.html

They're available all over the internet...just google "alice clips surplus" (no quotes)...I have no affiliation with any of the links posted here.

JM-99

Last edited:

m209

Banned

Thank you for all the answers Jumpmaster. I really appreciate it.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Has anyone tried one of these super thin wallets?

I just ordered the cardcase for $7.05 shipped! If I like it I'll get the bigger one. My wallet is way too fat and it's not because it's full of money! :ohgeez:

Thanks for the link :)

Bradlee

Enlightened

Hey StanTeate,

I picked up a billfold last month after it was mentioned in a post here on CPF. The one thing I wasn't aware of when I bought it was that "spinaker" nylon is more plastic-like than material like (think tarp). This does mean that it is a little noisy when you're rustling through it (again, something like moving a tarp).

This may or may not put you off the wallet. Despite this downfall, I really love the way it organizes my cards, it's deep secondary pocket, and it's super-thin profile. I really notice the difference when wearing a suit; it really just dissapears into my back pocket, quite unlike a regular wallet.

Here is a picture of what it looks like "in person" (a bit crinkled after carrying it, but I think the material is very strong):
1002424rd3iv.jpg

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

xtalman

Newly Enlightened

I have one as well. They really are super thin. My all-ett is thinner with all my cards than my leather wallet was empty. They feel cheap, though, and mine has developed a little hole in it near the spine after about a month's worth of use. It's made of a material where the hole shouldn't get any bigger. We'll see.

I definitely do not think it is going to last as long as a leather wallet, but for me, the super-thin size factor is worth buying one every year or two, as long as the price is right.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have the Maxpedition RAT wallet?

Don't know what happened to my other post on this, oh well....

Was wondering if I could get a G2 in the main compartment. If not then how 'bout a E2e/L4? Looking for something to hold my cell, gerber tool, light and keys. Any input?

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the idea but it sounds like the material needs some work. I wonder if it could be copied in kevlar.

Mark

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

I carry the Countycomm wallet with about a dozen cards and the ti escape tool and it's really super thin..

jtice

Flashaholic

Is the extra length of these bothering anyone?

I am thinking of getting one also,
I like the deeper pocket for papers, bills etc.
Is their site the cheapest place to get them?

~John