There are such awesome flashlights... any car headlights that employ this technology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDFbound

Newly Enlightened
I am tired of wimpy car headlights that are outperformed by a flashlight the size of a tampon. How do I get CREE LED power into my car? Surely the alternator and car battery should be able to power the stupid things. Probably a bunch of them. Massive heat sinks would be needed, but... it's a car. Weight isn't as much of an issue for say, a large pickup truck as it is for the tiny light on your hip. Does this exist?!?!

HB021

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I doubt any good LED will be made to replace stock bulbs but I've seen 24w LED H7 at 1600 lumen but I doubt they'll last any longer due to its small heat sink. And I doubt they're legal.
So right now I think HID is better choice for replacing the old headlights, both in terms of durability and efficiency since LED is depending on a good headsink.

But if you're replacing the whole unit there are some products for that such as quad XP-G/XM-L fog light.

Also in auxiliary lights LED can dominate HID. My car uses 16x XM-L auxiliary lights and the main thing I like with them compared to HID is that they have 0 start up time and much higher efficiency.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why are you posting this? He didn't ask for an Audi R8. He asked for this:

ok you are right my bad

I meant to say, research the Audi R8 led headlights and how they engineered
the LED headlights to meet EU lighting standards and requirements and
perhaps that will lead you down the path of figuring out what is needed and legal
when considering any LED headlight cree emitter or not.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thread title was "There are such awesome flashlights... any car headlights that employ this technology?"

And as long as I'm in smartass mode, I already have Cree LED technology in my car. I replaced my old incandescent trunk interior light with a custom solution ;-)

Also, OEM LED headlights like those found on the R8, Prius, Escalade, LS600hl, etc are the only LED headlights. The rest is aftermarket, and meant for use off-road in most places. Be sure to read up on your local laws and regulations.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The only significant exterior LED mod you can do is taillights, and those may or may not be available for your make and model. Anything much brighter than what you already have on the front of your car would be illegal.

SemiMan

Banned
I am tired of wimpy car headlights that are outperformed by a flashlight the size of a tampon. How do I get CREE LED power into my car? Surely the alternator and car battery should be able to power the stupid things. Probably a bunch of them. Massive heat sinks would be needed, but... it's a car. Weight isn't as much of an issue for say, a large pickup truck as it is for the tiny light on your hip. Does this exist?!?!

And I am tired of ignorant, self serving, self indulgent weenie wannabees that replace their stock halogen bulbs with HIDs without any concern for how annoying and dangerous that is for every other driver on the road......

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am tired of wimpy car headlights that are outperformed by a flashlight the size of a tampon.
The performance requirements for an automotive headlamp are much more complicated than for a flashlight. Maybe the flashlight has a gob more lumens, but the headlamp must perform in such a way as to project light in a very specific pattern such that the driver can see well, and other drivers are not blinded.

How do I get CREE LED power into my car?
As in, for a headlamp? You don't.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only significant exterior LED mod you can do is taillights, and those may or may not be available for your make and model. Anything much brighter than what you already have on the front of your car would be illegal.
There are legal LED taillamps from Truck-Lite and Grote, et al., so if you've got a flatbed truck or a semi tractor, you're in luck.

But the LED "mods" for standard passenger cars (in the form of 1157 "drop-ins") are not legal, and there are probaby very, very few "OEM-style" LED taillamps unless you're talking about OEM taillamps for a model sold in other countries. Those *may* be missing such items as side-marker lamps and side retroreflectors, however.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
OP's premise can only lead to suggestion of illegal modifications to car lights that can not be tolerated by CPF, Rule 11. Thread closed.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.