There aught to be a law!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My city has loudness regulations. If the vehicle is louder than X dB a police officer can cite the driver. That means those super loud mufflers or music. There's also height regulations based on factory versus modified. License plate obstruction law where no part of the plate that identifies state or status is allowed to be obstructed. They have all kinds of regulations regarding vehicles that aren't state law.

Some places have "jake brake" law where if a trucker uses that jack brake device to slow their truck down, causing it to make a loud burping sound... again police can cite the driver.

In my town if you are driving around with your bright lights on you can get a ticket. That may be state law though.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
state of Louisiana, regulates suspension lift height, especially difference between front and rear,aka louisiana squat.
states of Maine, Utah, New Jersey, Maryland, Colorado and Connecticut, have rolling coal regulation.
there are plenty of local regulation regarding motor vehicles.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty much ANY motor vehicles regulations?
I doubt that statement.
Please cite some local ordinances that contradict State or Federal regulations.
There are plenty of local regulations, , btw putting words in some ones mouth than argue it is pretty ......meh... he never said CONTRADICT, he said address. and many local laws do add restrictions, and make completely new legislations that state or federal law do not address.

BTW, NY state laws require all bicycle riders to wear helmets, but local nyc laws only mandate helmets to riders under 15y.o iirc.
My cousin who is 40 y,o, had been stopped by a state trooper for not wearing a bike helmet, so he called nypd cops on the trooper right in front of him, when nypd came, they said city ordinance does not require, the trooper said i do nto care, nyc is a part of ny state, and issued him a ticket, he took it to court, the judge dismissed it right away.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
alpg88, Please allow TerryWhite to answer the question put to him.

Your example of the difference between NYC and NYState is interesting regarding the wearing of helmets.

Your example of "Rolling Coal" was something I never heard of, and I had to look it up. Apparently they are State Laws, NOT LOCAL regulations. They are supported by anti pollution regulations of the EPA. And perhaps nuisance regulations.

The local sound restrictions (jake brake, loud or no muffler) cited by bykfixer are local SOUND/NOISE restrictions. They are not motor vehicle regulations.
In New Jersey, there are state laws regarding daytime, and night time noise, typically enforced by local government. That's not to say that local government can not enact their own noise regulations. But once again, they are not Motor Vehicle Regulations.

The license plate frame/holder law that bykfixer mentioned is also not a local regulation but rather either a State, or Federal law/regulation. I agree with him that it is so often overlooked. It irks me that it is such a flagrant and visible violation, yet, it seems not enforced. Once again... not a local regulation.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
There are plenty of local regulations, , btw putting words in some ones mouth than argue it is pretty ......meh... he never said CONTRADICT, he said address. and many local laws do add restrictions, and make completely new legislations that state or federal law do not address.

BTW, NY state laws require all bicycle riders to wear helmets, but local nyc laws only mandate helmets to riders under 15y.o iirc.
My cousin who is 40 y,o, had been stopped by a state trooper for not wearing a bike helmet, so he called nypd cops on the trooper right in front of him, when nypd came, they said city ordinance does not require, the trooper said i do nto care, nyc is a part of ny state, and issued him a ticket, he took it to court, the judge dismissed it right away.
The law in all of NY state is only riders under 15 must wear helmets:

No state in the US has an adult helmet law. In fact, few countries do. Australia does, but it's been a disaster. It caused cycling to decrease drastically, and the death rate actually went up, which contradicts the supposed intent of the law in the first place.

In my opinion even child helmet laws need to be repealed. They discourage some kids from riding, which in turn increases obesity rates. The resulting increase in deaths from obesity far exceeds the relatively small number of lives helmet wearing may save*.

* There are about 800 or 900 cycling deaths annually in the US, so that puts an upper bound on the number of lives which might be saved wearing a helmet. However, over 40% of cyclists killed were in fact wearing helmets. Of those who weren't, over 90% of cyclist deaths involve collisions with a motor vehicle. Helmets are generally worthless in such collisions due to the speeds and forces involved. When all is said and done, at best a few tens of cyclists might have been saved had they been wearing a helmet. However, if you have mandatory adult helmet laws many hundreds of thousands might give up cycling. Some won't replace it with another form of exercise. The resulting increase in deaths from lack of exercise will far outweigh any lives saved by helmets.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The law in all of NY state is only riders under 15 must wear helmets:

YEa i had a feeling the trooper was full of crap and on power trip, but it did not stop him from writing up an adult for a helmet, but then again, there is a law that says cops do nto have to know laws,
No state in the US has an adult helmet law. In fact, few countries do. Australia does, but it's been a disaster. It caused cycling to decrease drastically, and the death rate actually went up, which contradicts the supposed intent of the law in the first place.
From the link you posted

Certain communities in New York have passed local ordinances regarding helmet use for bicyclists. For example, Rockland and Erie counties require everyone riding bicycles on county property, regardless of age, to wear approved bicycle helmets.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Certain communities in New York have passed local ordinances regarding helmet use for bicyclists. For example, Rockland and Erie counties require everyone riding bicycles on county property, regardless of age, to wear approved bicycle helmets.
Yes, some localities have adult helmet laws, but no states do. Anyway, I wasn't planning on ever riding in Rockland or Erie counties so at least their law doesn't affect me (i.e. I've never worn a bike helmet, and never will).

Poppy

Flashaholic
You people must be speaking to bicycle helmet laws because there are some states that require helmets when on a motorcycle.

New Jersey Helmet Law - P.L. 39:3-76.7:
No person shall operate or ride upon a motorcycle unless he wears a securely fitted protective helmet of a size proper for that person and of a type approved by the federal DOT. Such a helmet must be equipped with either a neck or chin strap and be reflectorized on both sides.

Poppy

Flashaholic
The law in New Jersey regarding minors and helmets:
Passed and signed into law 2005.

P.L. 2005, c.208 Bill Number: A3346 Identical Bill Number: S2529 Sponsors: Assemblyman John F. McKeon, Assemblyman Upendra J. Chivukula, Assemblyman Brian P. Stack, Senator Shirley K. Turner

AN ACT concerning bicycle, roller skate, and skateboard helmets and amending P.L.1991, c.465 and P.L.1997, c.411. Raises age under which bicycle, roller skate, and skateboard helmets must be worn from under 14 to under 17 years.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Each city or municipality and county can legally write their own ordinances to address pretty much any motor vehicle law.
Most people would be surprised just how many motor vehicles regulations are written locally as ordinances.

Federal motor standards were written to override the patchwork of local/state regulations that had arisen with the early development of cars.

The last instance I can recall (not that I am searching frequently) of a state or local reg attempting to override a federally compliant vehicle code was Maryland trying to go after GM for the PT Cruiser brake lights, which iirc, met the federal requirements for illuminated/reflective surface area, but did not have sufficient illuminated area under msrylands decades old state law.

Considering there was never a push to roll out new taillihhts for the PT Cruiser, I'm going to guess the state of Maryland were laughed out of court. Pre-emption exists for a reason, and sometimes that reason is to prevent local or state government entities from attempting to harangue/harass the populace.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ought to be a law:

3184861D-4EF1-419E-AEAA-2A3886671049.jpeg

Terrywhite

Newly Enlightened
alpg88, Please allow TerryWhite to answer the question put to him.

Your example of the difference between NYC and NYState is interesting regarding the wearing of helmets.

Your example of "Rolling Coal" was something I never heard of, and I had to look it up. Apparently they are State Laws, NOT LOCAL regulations. They are supported by anti pollution regulations of the EPA. And perhaps nuisance regulations.

The local sound restrictions (jake brake, loud or no muffler) cited by bykfixer are local SOUND/NOISE restrictions. They are not motor vehicle regulations.
In New Jersey, there are state laws regarding daytime, and night time noise, typically enforced by local government. That's not to say that local government can not enact their own noise regulations. But once again, they are not Motor Vehicle Regulations.

The license plate frame/holder law that bykfixer mentioned is also not a local regulation but rather either a State, or Federal law/regulation. I agree with him that it is so often overlooked. It irks me that it is such a flagrant and visible violation, yet, it seems not enforced. Once again... not a local regulation.
As to overriding a current motor vehicle law. I'm not aware of any the put an exact limit on how much light can or can't be emitted from a motor vehicle.
Even if there were all local government still has the authority to pass local ordnance where state law is too slow catching up.
The best example I can think of off hand is window tint. Another is emissions and vehicle inspection. Here where I live no inspection at all is required however in larger cities you must pass certain emissions standards. All written by local government
There is a state law here governing how dark tint can be. Most cities or counties have long written their own ordnance to set limits where they want them.
There is no doubt that something as basic as headlights have gotten far out of control.
The sad part is even though they can enacted ordnances to regulate things like this for some odd reason very few have even brought it to the floor for discussion.
Eventually it will have to be regulated and regulated strictly.
Far too east to cause an accident when you end up with people competing for who has the brightest headlights.

Forgive any typos. I had to type this quickly at work.
It just so happens my person Doctor is also our mayor.
I think I will put this question to him my next visit which is only 2 weeks away.

Poppy

Flashaholic
As to overriding a current motor vehicle law. I'm not aware of any the put an exact limit on how much light can or can't be emitted from a motor vehicle.
Even if there were all local government still has the authority to pass local ordnance where state law is too slow catching up.
I agree, I don't think there is a law that puts an exact limit on how much light can be emitted from a motor vehicle.
I think years ago, they did try to limit it by limiting the wattage of the bulbs. The problem is that LEDs, and halogen bulbs are much more efficient than incandescent bulbs, and they can put out much more light at the given wattage limit.
IIRC it was about 57watts, or 65 watts.

Again, IIRC "SilverStar" bulbs approached the National limit.

So... the regulations need to be updated.

Yes... check with your Mayor, and then get back to us, because once again, I think you are completely off track.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure there are such regulations, DOT has standards that manufacturers must comply with. i have a feeling it involves more than wattage or lumens, it regulates intensity of the beam in its individual segments, basically distribution of light within a beam, unlike flashlight beam, automotive beam pattern is more complex.

jaycee88

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty sure there are such regulations, DOT has standards that manufacturers must comply with. i have a feeling it involves more than wattage or lumens, it regulates intensity of the beam in its individual segments, basically distribution of light within a beam, unlike flashlight beam, automotive beam pattern is more complex.

Yes, search for 'FMVSS 108 Laboratory test procedure', the photometry requirements for all federally regulated lighting (and reflectors) are detailed in it. There are several points in the low beam for example that have maximum allowable intensities, and one or two points in the high beam that also have maxima.
But, this is for homologation purposes, i.e. the requirements that the manufacturer must meet to sell the vehicle for road use. Once you buy a vehicle, nothing's stopping you from doing whatever to it, except for state and local laws and their enforcement.

eggsalad

Enlightened
Related...?
Like many other industries, law enforcement agencies are having staffing issues in many parts of the nation. Combined with what appears to be an increase in crime, traffic enforcement seems to have been pushed to the bottom of the priorities list. At least around here, you have to do something particularly egregious, while within sight of an unoccupied LEO, to get pulled over. And that likely means that equipment violation stops have approximately zero probability of happening.

You can pass all manner of vehicle equipment laws, but they're all meaningless in the absence of enforcement.

edit: This offer not available in states that require annual equipment inspections

theory816

Newly Enlightened

Surprisingly, DOT doesn't make that many laws when it comes to transportation lighting. I think this is due to the highly technicality of the field and the government simply doesn't have the knowledge to address it.

The manufacturers instead self regulate and create standards within their own industry. And because its not a real law, but just an industry standard and practice, some manufacturers can choose to deviate from it. An example of this is cars using LEDs for their DRLs and having wonky designs instead of sticking to the standard that was laid out before, which was the two halogen DRL bulbs.

Deviation from this standard has polluted society. Its a visual pollution. You cannot go for a drive and not notice the LED DRLs. And quite frankly, I don't see how it could ever be cleaned up unless city counsel decides on an ordinance and people decide to follow it. But city council cannot even remove billboards.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
edit: This offer not available in states that require annual equipment inspections
That is highly dependent on a shop, I know people with tinted windshields, hid kits, that pass inspection in ny. you may get a tech who will measure a tire tread wear and test drive a car, before passing it, or you may get a guy who wont do anything other then scan your sticker, enter pass in every line, and give you a new sticker. chances of that happening go up if a mechanic is a friend of yours and no one is looking. i do not know of a single shop that got in troubles for passing a car with excess tint or led/hid kits,