Thinking of a D20 - Should I consider anything else?

jankj

Enlightened
Umm, a 14500 has less energy than one high capacity NiMH, and the D20 gets much longer runtimes at similar brightness levels.

Nope. You can't just compare the ampere hours rating when the voltage is so different. To a good approximation, Energy content = ampere hours * rated voltage.

Do the math - I did just the other week. I haven't the exact numbers, but I used some common good ampere-hours ratings for nimh and 14500. I do remember my conclusion, though: With my numbers, the 14500 would have 17% higher watt hours capacity than nimh. From the top of my head, - a single 14500 should then have something close to 60% of the capacity of TWO nimh AA batteries... which means that if the 14500 runs for 3 hours, the 2*AA should run for 5 hours...

As always, take my back-of-the-envelope estimates with some grain of salt.

So, take your pick... Longer run time (2*AA) versus smaller (1*14500).

Marduke

Flashaholic
Nope. You can't just compare the ampere hours rating when the voltage is so different. To a good approximation, Energy content = ampere hours * rated voltage.

Do the math - I did just the other week. I haven't the exact numbers, but I used some common good ampere-hours ratings for nimh and 14500. I do remember my conclusion, though: With my numbers, the 14500 would have 17% higher watt hours capacity than nimh. From the top of my head, - a single 14500 should then have something close to 60% of the capacity of TWO nimh AA batteries... which means that if the 14500 runs for 3 hours, the 2*AA should run for 5 hours...

As always, take my back-of-the-envelope estimates with some grain of salt.

So, take your pick... Longer run time (2*AA) versus smaller (1*14500).

I suggest using real, not advertised values.

14500:
3.7v x .75Ah = 2.775 Wh

NiMH:
1.2v x 2.6Ah = 3.12 Wh

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the look of the PD 20 with clip. If you want to add a Quark to go with it, I suggest the neutral AA with the optional AA tube extender.
My PD 20 is one of my favorite lights. It is my main belt carried EDC, a position of honor indeed!;)

Last edited:

Ctrain

Enlightened
Well my D20 arrived today and I'm really happy with it..

I haven't tested it out fully as its still daylight here, but if your looking for a 2xAA light that's built like a tank this is for you. It looks way better in person and it fits your hand perfectly... I don't know why I didn't get one sooner!

I don't use clips much on 2 cell lights so maybe I might remove it... Not sure yet.

I've handled and owned most SF lights and I'd even go as far to say it nearly feels like SF quality.

A really awesome tank of light... Now bring on the night!

jankj

Enlightened
Congratulations with your new light!

I suggest using real, not advertised values.

14500:
3.7v x .75Ah = 2.775 Wh

NiMH:
1.2v x 2.6Ah = 3.12 Wh

Of course, your mileage will wary depending on specs, how much you knock of those specs et cetera. I use eneloop which is rather conservatively rated at 2000 mAh => 2.4Wh, or 4.8Wh for 2*AA configuration. I'm afraid that your nimh rating of 2.6Ah rarely (if ever) will be true in my hands, I'm much too sloppy when it comes to battery maintenance ...

Last edited:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Yeah, congrats, CT - I knew you'd be pleased ! :thumbsup:

It's pretty dark outside now . . . so how does it light up ?

Ctrain

Enlightened
Yeah, congrats, CT - I knew you'd be pleased ! :thumbsup:

It's pretty dark outside now . . . so how does it light up ?

It does a great job! it definatley is about flood though! which is cool cos most of the lights i have and have had have been throwers.

On a side note though... its made me realise how impressive my NDI is... Is actually a little monster!!!!

I would love someone to test the output... I think they'd be blown away.
...or i could be just imagining it lol
lovecpf