Thrunite Archer V2 (XP-L V6 Cool or XP-G2 Neutral) 1A, 2A, 1C, 2C Series Overview

avernite

Newly Enlightened
Those stainless steel striker bezels. I've taken my Archer 1A V2s on some night time hikes and now I've got holes in both my front pockets. Could be an issue for people who intend to pocket-carry these lights.

gkbain

Newly Enlightened
Got my 1c v2 NW today from Amazon/Thrunite. I have several Thrunite lights and they have all been great. This one not so much. Opened up the package put in a RCR turned it on, went through the modes then left it on high as I do all my new lights and check the temp of the body at different times. Between 1 and 2 minutes on high the light shut down. I had to cycle the tail switch to get it to come back on. After another minute it shut down again. Replaced the RCR with another RCR and the same thing happened. Put in a CR and it worked fine. After about 3 1/2 minutes it throttled back like SB stated. I completely drained the CR and the light worked fine. Put in another freshly charged RCR and it shut down in about a minute. That was it for me. It is now boxed up to return. I have always liked Thrunite and believe I just got a bad sample and understand these things do happen. Not sure if I will order another one. The NW tint looked great. Warmer than my S10 L2 NW.

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Selfbuilt - Can you please confirm, it looks like there is a blue O-ring underneath the glass, between the reflector and and lens?

This was an issue I took with the previous version of the Archer 1A, bought directly from Thrunite... there was no o-ring seal in the head, and the second o-ring they included was too small to put there.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Selfbuilt - Can you please confirm, it looks like there is a blue O-ring underneath the glass, between the reflector and and lens?

This was an issue I took with the previous version of the Archer 1A, bought directly from Thrunite... there was no o-ring seal in the head, and the second o-ring they included was too small to put there.

Here's a good view of the blue C-ring/ U-ring.

Scroll down some.

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/corazon3/e/6a9c0c37ab02ea89718f3db13ccab0a3

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a good view of the blue C-ring/ U-ring.

Scroll down some.

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/corazon3/e/6a9c0c37ab02ea89718f3db13ccab0a3

That answers that question, thank you!

I had a very nasty exchange with them after purchasing my light, asking for an o-ring to put in there, and not getting anywhere with whoever handles it. Was an otherwise good light, but it was annoying to have to find an o-ring on my own to fit in there, and the fit was lousy.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I have always liked Thrunite and believe I just got a bad sample and understand these things do happen. Not sure if I will order another one. The NW tint looked great.
That's too bad, hopefully it is a one-off incident. Certainly no issues with either of my Archer 1C samples.

FYI, I showed the 1A NW around to a group of local flashlight enthusiasts last night (mainly customs fans), and they were quite impressed with the light for the price. Thrunite has done an excellent job in putting together a nice package here (including the circuit, which often suffers in some other builds).

@Selfbuilt - Can you please confirm, it looks like there is a blue O-ring underneath the glass, between the reflector and and lens?.
Yes indeed, they were all present on my 7 samples. I remember once receiving a light from a different maker without the o-ring in the head, and it was a pain to find a replacement size. Odd that they didn't have one to ship out to you.

Javora

Enlightened
Thrunite has just added the specs for Archer 2C V2CW.

- Max beam distance: 124 meters.
- Peak beam intensity: 3870cd.

That seems kind of low for some reason, at least with the type of batteries that's being used.

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes indeed, they were all present on my 7 samples. I remember once receiving a light from a different maker without the o-ring in the head, and it was a pain to find a replacement size. Odd that they didn't have one to ship out to you.

Thing is, my light was directly from Thrunite, and they still would not admit to any problem even after I sent them pictures and explanation of why an o-ring is important, and that the spares they include for the tailcap are too small. Guess they finally got one complaint too many about it.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thing is, my light was directly from Thrunite, and they still would not admit to any problem even after I sent them pictures and explanation of why an o-ring is important, and that the spares they include for the tailcap are too small. Guess they finally got one complaint too many about it.

Even if the included spare o-rings had been the right diameter for the head, they would not have been an equal replacement for your missing o-ring. I think the u-shape cross section of the o-ring in the head actually wraps over the edge of the lens, top and bottom, cushioning the bottom of the bezel against the lens and perhaps even providing a better seal.

Some lights have a L-ring for the lens to sit on, and then there is an O-ring embedded into a groove on the underside of the bezel. So the lens is sandwiched/cushioned between to seals.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
That seems kind of low for some reason, at least with the type of batteries that's being used.
Yes, I suspect they just copied the beam distance specs from the 1C CW without updating. It is definitely higher, as you can see in the actual measures in my review (i.e., I got 5000cd for the 1C CW, and 7200cd for the 2C CW).

gkbain

Newly Enlightened
Returned my 1C V2 NW that was defective. Replaced it with the 1A V2 NW. Seems to work fine and has a nice beam tint. The 1C I had must have slipped by the inspection process. I know these things happen and hasn't turned me off to Thrunite.

Last edited:

skoor

Newly Enlightened
Based on SB's review, I bought the 2AA NW Archer. But it just works intermittently, so had to sent it back. Too bad, nice light for the price, but QC seems to be an issue.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Based on SB's review, I bought the 2AA NW Archer. But it just works intermittently, so had to sent it back. Too bad, nice light for the price, but QC seems to be an issue.
That's too bad, I hope the replacement works as expected. I do wonder how they manage to sell these so cheap, given the apparent quality and performance.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's too bad, I hope the replacement works as expected. I do wonder how they manage to sell these so cheap, given the apparent quality and performance.

Selfbuilt, how often do you receive review samples from manufacturers that had problems out of the box, were DOA, or later had problems?

If not, I wonder if some manufactuers cherry-pick perfect samples for your review.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the 5 hour runtime on Med quoted by Thrunite was obtained using a higher capacity nimh such as the eneloop pro used in the review or just a regular 2000 mAh nimh? If the former, then the advertised performance is consistent; if the latter, it's helpful to note that particular spec is inflated.

skoor

Newly Enlightened
Interesting, Amazon only gave a refund option (3rd party seller,but fulfilled by Amazon), so guess I will just stick with Fenix/Sunwayman lights for now, since I have never had any fail yet. If QC was better, it would give WalMart lights a run for the money.

Update on failure: The lights gets real hot, but the led is not lit. Strange. Guess some driver failure, but does rule out just some bad contact issue.

Last edited:

gkbain

Newly Enlightened
Interesting. Counting mine there are 2 failures, that were posted, of this series since SB started this thread less than 2 weeks ago. Has something happened to Thrunite's QC? Have they gone by way of Jetbeam (RRT0se)? I am using my 1A V2 NW daily so time will tell. I have about 3 weeks left to return it. Makes me wonder if returning it would be the best move and see how they do on this thread.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. Counting mine there are 2 failures, that were posted, of this series since SB started this thread less than 2 weeks ago. Has something happened to Thrunite's QC? Have they gone by way of Jetbeam (RRT0se)? I am using my 1A V2 NW daily so time will tell. I have about 3 weeks left to return it. Makes me wonder if returning it would be the best move and see how they do on this thread.

There's one more. See here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...rcher-1A-V2-(NW)-stopped-working-within-hours

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Selfbuilt, how often do you receive review samples from manufacturers that had problems out of the box, were DOA, or later had problems? If not, I wonder if some manufactuers cherry-pick perfect samples for your review.
It happens more often that you would think! I have had many experiences of DOA (or more commonly, rapid failure during testing). When this happens, I let the manufacturer know and they typically send a second sample for testing. I then report the failure of the first sample in the review, as part of the full disclosure.

It is of course possible that cherry-picked samples get sent to me - but given how often I experience failures, I doubt this is common.

Does anyone know if the 5 hour runtime on Med quoted by Thrunite was obtained using a higher capacity nimh such as the eneloop pro used in the review or just a regular 2000 mAh nimh? If the former, then the advertised performance is consistent; if the latter, it's helpful to note that particular spec is inflated.
I haven't seen stated what source they are using, but the spec is certainly very consistent with my 2550mAh eneloop pro testing.

Interesting. Counting mine there are 2 failures, that were posted, of this series since SB started this thread less than 2 weeks ago. Has something happened to Thrunite's QC?
Well, as always, it's a question of the denominator as well as the numerator. I suspect they have sold a lot of these, so it is hard to know how well the QC compares to other brands. At this incredibly low price point, I would expect that lower QC could be a distinct possibility. But that's just speculation at this point. My samples give no indication of problems, and certainly seem to indicate that this is a remarkable quality build for the price.