Thrunite Catapult or Olight M21 Warrior?

stallion2

Enlightened
Did you look at the Lumapower D mini VX Ultra? It also uses the SST-50 emitter.

that light is looking better and better to me everyday.

I have just noticed this though
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.31869
Unfortunately it will not fit in my holster for work. Looks interesting though!!!

at that price it would probably be worth it even if you have to fix a few issues. likely not the safest choice for use . i spent a couple weeks going through DX before my uncle and i ordered a bunch of random stuff. as i recall, the Uniquefire lights in general were being given lower reviews than i was seeing for Ultrafires, MTE, etc.

if you're not completely hellbent on getting a light w/ an SST then the Dereelights might be worth a look. i bought the DBS V3 w/ an MC-E & OP installed, a 2nd pill (R2) and the SMO and it was like having 4 different lights (3 in a practical sense). i was so blown away i ordered a 2nd DBS head and a complete CL1H the next week which tripled the number of lights i have, just not all at once. and i assure you that in the coming months somebody will have an SST pill that will take you a minute to install. i've been keeping my eyes peeled.

FYI - i have Thrunight's X-PG R5 dropin retro fit to my DBS since last night...HOLY SH*T!!! AWESOME!!!:faint:

stallion2

Enlightened
stallion2.....Where did you get the modded drop in X-PG R5 for the DBS?

no mods to the engine itself. its Thrunite's standard drop-in. the shape of the pill is a little weird if you haven't seen it up close. it doesn't narrow as it extends down from the threads, its just a straight, cylinder shape. not sure why it was done that way, it limits the number of P60's in which it could be used effectively. i just took a piece of copper wire, wound it once around the pill right against the bottom edge of the reflector and it worked perfect in my CL1H V4. i didn't have to do anything for it to work in the DBS other than adjust how far the head assembly was screwed on but its working great now.

redliner

Newly Enlightened
Stallion2, does this drop-in work with the OP or SM reflector? Also whats the difference in beam? I'm looking to get a Dereelight DBS V3 but I want the best spill combo I can get. Out of all the different setups you have for this light which one gives the best spill? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.

stallion2

Enlightened
Stallion2, does this drop-in work with the OP or SM reflector? Also whats the difference in beam? I'm looking to get a Dereelight DBS V3 but I want the best spill combo I can get. Out of all the different setups you have for this light which one gives the best spill? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.

no prob, questions = respect. just get both reflectors for the DBS and be done w/ it, you'll want to later on anyways. they only have one SMR for the DBS and its a purpose-built thrower, thats it. not much spill is present. they have two OPRs, one for their XR-E pills and one for the MC-E pills (which has a slightly more aggresive tecture the other). i asked Jay at flashlightconnection about the OPR for the XR-Es and it didn't really seem like it was worth getting. as far as versatility goes, the OPR for the MC-E will be best and it'll work just as well for any of the pills.

that XP-G dropin from Thrunite came w/ an OPR. i wasn't really happy w/ that reflector, too much spill. i don't think it really exploits the advantages of the XP-G. thats when i started trying it out w/ all my other P60 reflectors w/ marginal success, only one of them seemed to concentrate the beam w/out losing too much of the light. the other reflectors are all built to accomodate the larger XR-E so there's alot of space between the emitter and edge of the opening, but the real problem is that the back of those reflectors are all thicker and the XP-G doesn't protrude into the reflector as far. tends to leave a sharp cut-off at the outer edge of the beam. then i tried it in the SMR for the DBS and it looked awesome.

ateallthepies

Enlightened
Biodarren, as a UK officer, is using a hefty torch for the purpose of defence/quelling an aggressive person allowed?
I know you are issued with those telescopic batton thingamajigs and deploying them has some effect on a persons behaviour, but is there anything stopping you coshing someone with your torch?

I mean when searching around, do you walk round with torch in one hand and batton in the other? If you only have the torch deployed and you are attacked out of the dark, is not your torch your only to hand weapon and thus should be substantial?

Steve.

agedbriar

Newly Enlightened
The specs for the M21 say: "Anti-shattering ultra clear lens, anti-scratching and anti-slip", but the lens base material isn't mentioned.

Is it glass?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
XP-G dropin from Thrunite came w/ an OPR. i wasn't really happy w/ that reflector, too much spill. i don't think it really exploits the advantages of the XP-G.

Color me confused. The XP-G's are much floodier than the XP-E's so why is an OP reflector not working the XP-G to it's advantages? To me it looks like the stock SF P60L beam - but 5 times brighter/whiter.

The specs for the M21 say: "Anti-shattering ultra clear lens, anti-scratching and anti-slip", but the lens base material isn't mentioned.
Is it glass?
Yes - glass.

stallion2

Enlightened
Color me confused. The XP-G's are much floodier than the XP-E's so why is an OP reflector not working the XP-G to it's advantages? To me it looks like the stock SF P60L beam - but 5 times brighter/whiter.

i'm kinda confused about it now, myself. a day or so after that earlier post i read a post by csshih on the review thread for that Thrunite dropin saying it was more for flood because the emitter was a little bigger. to me they look to be about the say size but the dome present on the XR-Es is far bigger which i would think should help disperse the light a little more before it gets to the reflector. i put that XP-G pill in all my different P60 reflectors and they all lowered performance except for one. at the time i figured i was lucky to have one that sharpened the beam a little since all of them were designed to work w/ XR-Es. as i understand it, the smaller the orgin from which a light source emanates then the better it will be for a throwing application. after reading the XP-G dropin review thread i'm left scratching my head. in any case, that XP-G installed in my DBS V3 has a beam pattern that is virtually identical to the R2 i normally use w/ it. it may also have a brighter hotspot but its tough to tell w/ their different tints. i would like to know what it is that i'm missing about the geometry of the XR-E vs the XP-G.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget about the dome size - it's not relevant since they differ in shape/form.

The XP-G's have a 125 degree viewing angle compared to 90 degrees for the XR-E's so the hotspots are much broader an an XP-G. Because of this wider viewing angle, a product of the XP-G's much larger DIE they're not as suited to 'throw' oriented lights as an XR-E. That said, they're optically superior in every way and make a much more balanced, usable beam - better than the Luxeons ever were as well - and they were the high water mark optically even when the Crees surpassed them in output.

stallion2

Enlightened
Forget about the dome size - it's not relevant since they differ in shape/form.

The XP-G's have a 125 degree viewing angle compared to 90 degrees for the XR-E's so the hotspots are much broader an an XP-G. Because of this wider viewing angle, a product of the XP-G's much larger DIE they're not as suited to 'throw' oriented lights as an XR-E. That said, they're optically superior in every way and make a much more balanced, usable beam - better than the Luxeons ever were as well - and they were the high water mark optically even when the Crees surpassed them in output.

thanks for the clarification, Matt. i failed to mention that i had tried it w/ the aspheric head on my DBS a couple of days ago...the results were tragic....but the beam pattern did look pretty cool.

BigT504

Newly Enlightened
I have to say, I'm a little new to the flashlight hobby, but I received my Catapult last week, and LOVE it.

Pros:

1. REALLY sturdy, really thick walls, great grip, thick lense thats protected well, waterproofing seems nice
2. Great throw, lit up the side of a dark building at 387 yds. No joke.
3. Spill is much better than I thought indoors, lights my basement up better than my mag 3D Led or my Fenix pd30.
4. Really high output with SST-50 (not up to date on tech specs though)
5. Beautiful reflector
6. Though I havent had to call, they seem to have great customer service based on how they follow and respond on these forums

Cons:

1. Don't care much for the switch, You have to cycle it completely to switch modes. I like the soft touch feature on my other lights. but I want it on high most of the time anyways.
2.Lack of use for primary cells, I'm not to keen on 18650s.

For an officer, I think weight, and head diameter would be a problem to carry all the time. The head is the same size as Mag 3D. But this is a sweet light, so I'm casting my vote for this

P.S.: I agree, there isnt hardly any visible difference with one battery or two, and bottom line this light should make top 3 of 2009 in its class IMO based on what I've read. And the tint is a little more yellowish ( barely) which I Like.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi BigT504!

I just wanted to address one of your cons - the ones about lack of primaries;
the issue is that no primary cell can deliver the necessary current safely. Okay wait - something like half a dozen D cells could but they'd still sag heavily and of course the light would be monstrously huge and heavy. A pile of CR123A's (like 8 of em)could do it too but then the voltage range would need to be too wide on the light and it wouldn't be as efficient on any battery setup.

BigT504

Newly Enlightened
Hi BigT504!

I just wanted to address one of your cons - the ones about lack of primaries;
the issue is that no primary cell can deliver the necessary current safely. Okay wait - something like half a dozen D cells could but they'd still sag heavily and of course the light would be monstrously huge and heavy. A pile of CR123A's (like 8 of em)could do it too but then the voltage range would need to be too wide on the light and it wouldn't be as efficient on any battery setup.

That makes sense. I should clarify, it is just a con to ME i think because it is my first 18650 light, and I've been reading all the safety concerns with Lithium batteries . Month from now I may have a different opinion.
Thanks Matt, btw I think you following these forums really says something good about your company. Keep up the good work :)

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just keep using protected batteries and try not to charge unattended and you should be fine!

The Thrunite Catapult is a heck of a first 'real' light - most folks usually start 'smaller' with a tactical class light ala Olight M20 or Fenix TK11. You, clearly, do not mess around!

Thanks BigT504 - we work really hard to stay on top of these things - it's nice when folks notice. :)

redliner

Newly Enlightened
Stallion2, I noticed in another thread you have a Olight M30. How does that compare to the Deree DBS V3? I also see you have a Catapult too. Did you get the OP reflector for that? If so, how does it compare to the M30 and DBS in spill and throw? My main concern is short (less than 10 meters) and intermediate (10 to 30 meters). Thanks.

stallion2

Enlightened
Stallion2, I noticed in another thread you have a Olight M30. How does that compare to the Deree DBS V3? I also see you have a Catapult too. Did you get the OP reflector for that? If so, how does it compare to the M30 and DBS in spill and throw? My main concern is short (less than 10 meters) and intermediate (10 to 30 meters). Thanks.

the M30 is completely different from the other two. its extremely bright but has little throwing ability. by the time its 30m out your hotspot is gone. it'll still give some usable light for another 5-10m but its from the high output rather than the reflector. i didn't get the OP for the Cat only because it wasn't in stock at the time. after seeing the light w/ the SMR and the amount of spill that is still being provided i'm in no hurry to get the OP...i'm sure i will eventually

HKJ

Flashaholic

You can compare the DBS and M30 in this beamshot: http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/Beamshot 22 2009-09 UK.html

Latest posts