Thrunite Catapult or Olight M21 Warrior?

Biodarren

Newly Enlightened
Biodarren, as a UK officer, is using a hefty torch for the purpose of defence/quelling an aggressive person allowed?
I know you are issued with those telescopic batton thingamajigs and deploying them has some effect on a persons behaviour, but is there anything stopping you coshing someone with your torch?

I mean when searching around, do you walk round with torch in one hand and batton in the other? If you only have the torch deployed and you are attacked out of the dark, is not your torch your only to hand weapon and thus should be substantial?

Steve.

Hi Steve
When i am using my light i do not have my ASP (baton) drawn, if i did then i would have to fill out a 'use of force' form!!! Paperwork jungle!!!!

I have not considered whether i would need to use my torch as a cosh....I guess that if i needed to, and it was already in my hand, then i would not hesitate to improvise :hitit:I do tend to carry my light in my left hand which leaves my right hand free to draw my ASP or PAVA (spray).

This thread has grown loads since my last post, its so good to see people take the time and effort to read all of the posts and to reply with so much useful information, Thanks guys.

Its boxing day, Happy Xmas BTW!, and i am still searching and comparing reviews of all the lights mentioned here.
Keep up the suggestions. I will throw another light into the mix (i know, foolish! lol ) the Olight K50. Im not even sure if it is out yet, but it does look VERY interesting.

I am swaying back towards the Catapult though!! Wish it came with a holster.

Olef

Newly Enlightened
As I have both the M21 and the Catapult on the desk next to me here I thought I would offer some insight, hope you find it useful...

Comparing the M21 and the Cat could be likened to comparing a hand held extinguisher to a fire hose. They both do the same basic thing but they are no way alike.

M21 = 5.5", pocketable, light, bright but floody. Not much bigger than your fingers when held in a clenched fist.

Cat = 10", head and body diameter approaching double the M21, weight considerably more. Held in a fist more than 6" of light protrudes. Very bright output, tight and throwy. Limited use at close range.

For a light to carry easily on a belt holster to use at short / medium range - M21.

For a real searchlight, solidly built with enough heft to inspire confidence whatever you are facing - Catapult.

Bottom line, I don't think comparisons between these two lights are valid as their design is so different. They both do what they do very well and it's up to you to choose which one suits your perceived usage better.

Of course the CPF adage is 'get both', I did, and do not regret either. They are both fine additions to a collection and both are quality lights and very useful in their own ways.

Olef

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Comparing the M21 and the Cat could be likened to comparing a hand held extinguisher to a fire hose. They both do the same basic thing but they are no way alike.

Bottom line, I don't think comparisons between these two lights are valid as their design is so different. They both do what they do very well and it's up to you to choose which one suits your perceived usage better.

Of course the CPF adage is 'get both', I did, and do not regret either. They are both fine additions to a collection and both are quality lights and very useful in their own ways.

LOL - well said!

amc

Newly Enlightened
Biodarren......I may be butting in here and most of you may have seen this thread already but it does`nt sound like it to me and this should definitely convince you the Thrunight Catapult is the way to go. This link clearly shows that the Catapult with only 1 battery outdoes the M21 using 2 18650`s in both reach and flood. You will have to have your mouse hovering over the pause button as you only get 2 or 3 seconds of each flashlight`s performance but it does show you the Catapult`s and M21`s output with both 1 and 2 batteries.

The flashlight`s output that surprised me the most though for it`s size and only 230 lumens is the 4sevens Quark 123 Turbo. What a little beauty.

Hope this has been of help to you. Happy New Year to you all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp2KU7tdd2U

Flashlites R Us

Newly Enlightened
The catapult doesnt have anything special other than the emitter.. the beam is rather sharp so will not do very well at indoors or close range use.

Get the M21 if you had to choose between those 2.

richardcpf,

if one selects the LOW (or MEDIUM) mode on the Catapult it WILL "do very well at indoors or close range use"

Flashlites R Us

Newly Enlightened
Hi Steve
When i am using my light i do not have my ASP (baton) drawn, if i did then i would have to fill out a 'use of force' form!!! Paperwork jungle!!!!

I have not considered whether i would need to use my torch as a cosh....I guess that if i needed to, and it was already in my hand, then i would not hesitate to improvise :hitit:I do tend to carry my light in my left hand which leaves my right hand free to draw my ASP or PAVA (spray).

This thread has grown loads since my last post, its so good to see people take the time and effort to read all of the posts and to reply with so much useful information, Thanks guys.

Its boxing day, Happy Xmas BTW!, and i am still searching and comparing reviews of all the lights mentioned here.
Keep up the suggestions. I will throw another light into the mix (i know, foolish! lol ) the Olight K50. Im not even sure if it is out yet, but it does look VERY interesting.

I am swaying back towards the Catapult though!! Wish it came with a holster.

Hi Biodarren,

"baton drawn" "I would have to fill out use of force form"????

Sheeeeeesh....for all that "paperwork jungle" trouble your employer SHOULD issue you a HUGE gun that holds at least 30 bullets and 10 extra loaded magazines..................to at least make it WORTH YOUR WHILE.
naughty.gif

Last edited:

wfturnerm4

Newly Enlightened
They are a huge size difference
I do love the compact M21 and it has plenty of light

Post number three, lets hope this site gets back to normal

Latest posts