Thrunite Catapult V3 (XM-L, 2x18650/4xCR123A) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS +

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I just got one of these after reading your review, and absolutely love mine. One thing I am wondering about is what kind of runtime I can expect with protected 18350s? Your runtime plots didnt indicate what capacity R123s you were running.
More than 2xRCR, less than 1x18650. :shrug: Capacity estimates aren't the most reliable on the smaller cells (and are highly dependent on discharge rates). I used the AW unprotected IMR cells in this review, not sure off-hand what they are rated at.

EDIT: just checked, and AW IMRs are labelled as 550mAh. But that may be an underestimate, just like how the 750mAh on AW protected RCRs are clearly an over estimate (i.e. capacity on those cells are ~25-30% less than AW protected 14500, which are similarly rated as 750mAh).

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a consistent problem with the switch retaining ring coming lose with battery changes? Selfbuilt mentioned it but I have not read anyone else commenting about it, I have a couple light's where the ring needs tightening every couple battery swaps and I just don't depend on these light's for anything serious.

tigers2007

Newly Enlightened
I have a Catapult V1. As I have mentioned before, I use this flashlight for work on a daily basis (work afternoon shift) and I probably run this light about 20min a night.

I have had only one serious problem with this light -- it mysteriously changing modes. For starters, I can't stand multi-modes; I just need full brightness when I push the button. I found out that the problem was that the batteries I am using are too narrow. To solve this, I spiral wrapped electrical tape around each 18650 (without overlapping the tape). This provided enough girth to keep the batteries from rattling and therefore preventing any problems with mode changes.

I strongly suggest the factory nylon holster for anyone that wears a belt at work. It works great and the light won't fall out even if you're running.

I suppose its time for me to upgrade to the V3 as it can be forced to run in turbo mode permanently. Multi-modes are worthless for anyone working in public safety (unless of course you're stuck somewhere for a while and need extra-low power for battery conservation...)

alberth

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Ive just got my Catapult and I am having problem switching between modes when I unloosened the cap. The light mode kinda stays the same. What am I doing wrong here? Anyone have such experience?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Ive just got my Catapult and I am having problem switching between modes when I unloosened the cap. The light mode kinda stays the same. What am I doing wrong here? Anyone have such experience?
:welcome:

Do you mean when you loosen the head? Nothing will happen at the tail cap (except the light will go out). If you do mean the head, one possibility is the battery extender is in the wrong place (i.e. needs to go between the head and the original handle, not at the tailcap). You could try reversing them, to see if that solves your problem.

alberth

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Thank you the warm welcome :) Yes I meant the head. The extender is in the correct place because if its not, the batt cap will not be able to fit in(my first experience when trying to setup the Catapult). Should I also put in all the O-ring into all the available places meant for them? Because in my case I had to remove one of the o-ring on the extender to be able to fit in into the head. For not being able to switch modes, do you think its gotta be something to do with the batt? The batts are new and when I tried them out the juices are still there meaning they are still bright enough so I havent been charging them. Btw the batts are 2xJetBeam. Should I recharge the batts first? How long should I do it using a Cytac charger? Newbie here :) First candle and hopefully more to come. Thanks

Last edited:

alberth

Newly Enlightened
I am sorry but ive found out whats wrong with me after more research on youtube. It turns out that I was twisting the wrong end of the stick. I was not twisting the extender but the head so that is why I cant get the different mode. I think the manual really needs some more info for the price of this candle ;) Than alot anyway.

kjt

Newly Enlightened
I see that My TrustFire X8 takes about 1.5A when operating with 2 full Li-ion cells(8.4V). With one full 4.2V cell it takes about 3.1A on high mode. I wish I could see similar switch mode supply on Catapult V3 too :) I already have one Catapult V2 SST-50 but proper power supply would be an excuse to buy V3 too.

uko1205

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm new in this forum and this is my first post. The cat V3 seems to be a very tough and reliable light. What happens if you loosen the head to enter the low modes? Will it lose a part of it's superb stability due to a weakened threaded connection? What is your opinion, is it an issue or negligible?

Thanks for you comments:wave:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
What happens if you loosen the head to enter the low modes? Will it lose a part of it's superb stability due to a weakened threaded connection? What is your opinion, is it an issue or negligible?
It's a reasonable question to ask - but the effect is completely negligible in this case (and most lights, frankly). The Catapult has a lot of threads, and is still fully engaged in Lo mode. The o-ring is similarly still completely covered, no worries at all.

:welcome:

Interhead

Newly Enlightened
1x18650 working good in my sample , maybe a little dimmer than 2x18650 but not much..
Arrived to day..testing tonight
:candle:

Flash Voyager

Newly Enlightened
Hi!
I have got a Thrunite Catapult V3 flashlight, great product!

I would like to ask: can I use in this flashlight (with help an extra extender tube) 3 pieces 18650 battery?
Can the led run with 3 pieces 18650 battery without damage?
Thanks!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I would like to ask: can I use in this flashlight (with help an extra extender tube) 3 pieces 18650 battery?
Can the led run with 3 pieces 18650 battery without damage?
Hmmm, I would have to recommend you ask Thrunite about that. I don't have a voltage range for the circuit, but typically most things that can handle 4x 3V CR123A (~3.2V fully charged) will also take 3x 3.7V Liion (~4.2V fully charged) - but it is cutting things close.

Also not too sure how well the light would work with an extra extender as well - there may be difficulty making proper contact. Best to ask Thrunite.

Oh, and :welcome:

Flash Voyager

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks for the Welcome and the answer! :)

I have asked Thrunite.
The answer is: "Fit. Yes. Work with 3 18650!"

So, I have ordered an extender tube.
After I will receive it, I will try.

MIKES250R

Enlightened
I am curious about adding an extra extender to my Catapult too. I wonder what all could be gained by running three 18650s in series? I'm guessing brightness/output would be about the same due to regulation. Run times , however should be increased by maybe 50%. I am not an expert, but is this a reasonable expectation ?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I am curious about adding an extra extender to my Catapult too. I wonder what all could be gained by running three 18650s in series? I'm guessing brightness/output would be about the same due to regulation. Run times , however should be increased by maybe 50%. I am not an expert, but is this a reasonable expectation ?
The only real advantage is the extra runtime. Hard to say how much exactly without testing it - different cells perform differently at various drive levels.

MIKES250R

Enlightened
Thanks Selfbuilt. I appreciate all your hard work, time, and energy you put in testing flashlights. I enjoy reading your unbiased reviews. I think your are a wealth of knowledge and a clever writer. Your articles are written in such a way that even novices such as myself can understand them. I plan on making a contribution to your battery fund as I know what you do not only takes time, but money as well. Please keep up the good work, you are an asset to this forum.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
TYour articles are written in such a way that even novices such as myself can understand them. I plan on making a contribution to your battery fund as I know what you do not only takes time, but money as well. Please keep up the good work, you are an asset to this forum.
Thanks, I appreciate you saying that (and always appreciate financial contributions to my battery fund). :)

But I know the reviews can still be a bit overwhelming for newcomers, with all the technical jargon. I've recently created a FAQ page on my flashlightreviews.ca website, to cover the more general points. Those looking for more detail on my methods can find information (or links for more info) on my Testing Methods page.
:wave: