Thrunite Ti3 (XP-G2, 1xAAA) keychain light review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The only negative thing that i can say is that, my light come with it's led very badly aligned. And the beam shows part of the reflector blocking. Just emailed Thrunite, hopefully they can replace my head for me:(
Thanks for the update on the NW emitter.

It's unfortunate that you a visibly mis-aligned emitter, but does it actually affect the beam? I find small shallow reflectors are typically very forgiving in this regard. Personally, I've never found an alignment issue to cause a significant visual beam distortion on a keychain light (although it certainly can on larger lights with smooth and deep reflectors)

ZzmadzZ

Newly Enlightened
Yeap it affects the beam to a huge extend. The beam is no more circular, and you can see visible artifacts that doesn't smooth out from the hot spot, I'm thinking it's because of the uneven reflection of light from the reflector.
Thrunite customer's response team has replied me fairly quickly and had agreed to send me a replacement head so all should be good:).

Nonetheless I really love the tint of the NW version!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The beam is no more circular, and you can see visible artifacts that doesn't smooth out from the hot spot, I'm thinking it's because of the uneven reflection of light from the reflector.
Ah, sounds like there is probably an angle issue as well then (i.e., something is not sitting perfectly flat). Glad to hear Thrunite is sending you a prompt replacement.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Great review but I would have liked to see the Tis on that chart as well. Probably just me but I prefer single mode for keychain lights.
Ok, I've just updated the review with a new ANSI FL-1 Summary chart, to include the TiS:

Ti3-FL1-Summary-1.gif

Note that I have also updated the Ti entry. I originally reported this model as being ~80 estimated lumens, based on the first sample I bought. However, I have a couple of additional samples on hand (picked up as gifts on a previous batch order) - testing these, I find output actually ranges on Hi from ~60-80 estimated lumens. So I have put the more "typical" 70 estimate in the table for that model.

If I get the chance to add runtimes for the one TiS sample I have on hand I will, but I don't know if there is much point now that I don't see that model listed on the Thrunite website any longer. :shrug:

As an aside, there is also quite a bit of variability in peak throw between the Ti/TiS samples.

Last edited:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just noticed the second chart doesn't show the estimated Medium Mode lumens.

"To give you a better idea, here is a lumen estimate of all the modes, on both NiMH and alkaline:"

ZzmadzZ

Newly Enlightened
The neutral white version is awesome! It's tint is just a wee bit warmer as compared to the nichia 219!

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
The neutral white version is awesome! It's tint is just a wee bit warmer as compared to the nichia 219!

Sounds good. I am going to have to wait until October sometime to receive mine. Apparently, I must have ordered it right after they ran out. My keychain will be patiently awaiting a neutral white Ti3 to replace the cool white Ti2 :)

BlueSwede

Newly Enlightened
Love the firefly mode... perfect for navigating out of the bedroom without waking up my wife ;)

LevyKuga

Newly Enlightened
Nice keychain flashlight actually, but I see there's a huge gap from hi(173 lumens) to low (13lumens), i think it should be med mode, 30-40 lumens in the middle would be great... IMHO

Tapis

Enlightened
Nice keychain flashlight actually, but I see there's a huge gap from hi(173 lumens) to low (13lumens), i think it should be med mode, 30-40 lumens in the middle would be great... IMHO
I agree. I consider 173 lumens being a turbo mode for these small flashlights, and 13 lumens is definitely too low to walk confortably on a dark street.

Thanks for the review!

Berneck1

Enlightened
I purchased a couple of Thrunite lights this week. I was so impressed with the performance of the 2A V2 and Thrunite's pricing, I wanted to try some of their other common battery offerings. I bought the T10 and Ti3.

The first thing I noticed about the Ti3 is that it is nearly identical to the Olight i3s in both form and function. The differences are pretty much cosmetic. However, the Ti3 does feel strangely more solid. Perhaps it's the knurling vs the ribbing.

The Ti3's output is impressive for such a small light. It's noticeably brighter on high than the i3s. However, I prefer these lights to default to medium, like the i3s. The Ti3 defaults to low. In my opinion, medium is a much more usable level for many more situations. There are fewer situations that I find myself needing low. A medium, low, high cycle would be better, in my opinion. If you're concerned about too much light in a particular situation, you can easily put your thumb over it and cycle to low. This is all of course a matter of preference, but I find myself using medium and high a lot more than low. Another reason I prefer a default to medium is that I give these lights as gifts. You'd be surprised how many people don't understand the idea of cycling through the different levels by twising the head quicky, or it's combersome for them at best. I can't give the Ti3 as a gift, because low is too low for most people's needs.

The strobe level is a gimmick if you ask me. I'm of the belief that if you're in a situation to use strobe, you want to get to it quicky. Cycling through the sequence a couple of times makes it less usable.

All that said, Thrunite did a nice job with the Ti3. They're really showing what can be achieved with common battery types. I have been moving away from the Li-on batteries, as the technology has been becoming more efficient on simple Eneloop/alkalines. I'll probably stick to giving the i3s as gifts, as I usually find them on sale for about the same price, and people really like the colors. i'm going to keep the Ti3 on my keychain for a while and see if I'm not too bothered by always cycling to a higher level. I really do like the amount of light it puts out on high.

PLATO

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a couple of Thrunite lights this week. I was so impressed with the performance of the 2A V2 and Thrunite's pricing, I wanted to try some of their other common battery offerings. I bought the T10 and Ti3.

The first thing I noticed about the Ti3 is that it is nearly identical to the Olight i3s in both form and function. The differences are pretty much cosmetic. However, the Ti3 does feel strangely more solid. Perhaps it's the knurling vs the ribbing.

The Ti3's output is impressive for such a small light. It's noticeably brighter on high than the i3s. However, I prefer these lights to default to medium, like the i3s. The Ti3 defaults to low. In my opinion, medium is a much more usable level for many more situations. There are fewer situations that I find myself needing low. A medium, low, high cycle would be better, in my opinion. If you're concerned about too much light in a particular situation, you can easily put your thumb over it and cycle to low. This is all of course a matter of preference, but I find myself using medium and high a lot more than low. Another reason I prefer a default to medium is that I give these lights as gifts. You'd be surprised how many people don't understand the idea of cycling through the different levels by twising the head quicky, or it's combersome for them at best. I can't give the Ti3 as a gift, because low is too low for most people's needs.

The strobe level is a gimmick if you ask me. I'm of the belief that if you're in a situation to use strobe, you want to get to it quicky. Cycling through the sequence a couple of times makes it less usable.

All that said, Thrunite did a nice job with the Ti3. They're really showing what can be achieved with common battery types. I have been moving away from the Li-on batteries, as the technology has been becoming more efficient on simple Eneloop/alkalines. I'll probably stick to giving the i3s as gifts, as I usually find them on sale for about the same price, and people really like the colors. i'm going to keep the Ti3 on my keychain for a while and see if I'm not too bothered by always cycling to a higher level. I really do like the amount of light it puts out on high.
coudn t agree more.... to all u said. what i really didn t like in mine was the tint...creamy,borderline yellow...not nice.Also can t see the lmns stayted by selfbuilt ,and held all my 3 aaa in hand for campare...(ti2/olight i3s) find ti3 to be maybe a bit stronger, but nothing like 175lmns

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Also can t see the lmns stayted by selfbuilt ,and held all my 3 aaa in hand for campare...(ti2/olight i3s) find ti3 to be maybe a bit stronger, but nothing like 175lmns
FYI, my i3 is an older model - I may be testing a newer sample shortly, and it will be interesting to see how it compares to the Ti3 reviewed here. As always, my lumen estimate scale is just an estimate - it is the relative comparisons that count.

And indeed, welcome to CPF ...