ThruNite TN30 Review (3 x XM-L U2 | 3 x 18650)

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the TN30 is running at L2 of 35 lumens, are all 3 LED's on, or is it just one or two at that low level? How about L1? How good(how useful) is the 35 lumen L2 setting? Is it bright enough to see your way around while walking through the back yard for instance? With some lights, especially floody lights that dilute their beam because of their wide spill beam/wide hot spot, the lower settings arent as useful because the beam is so diluted. Whereas lights that have moderate flood/throw do pretty well at 30L for lighting up a pathway while you are walking at night.

Thanks.....

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
All LED's are always on regardless of the output level selected (to the best of my knowledge, Niteye is the only mfg that selectively lights up and cycles through LED's depending on the output selected). L1 is great for general use around the house at night but might just be a tad little bright for fully dark adjusted eyes.

L2 is perfect for walking outdoors with (if you'll recall from my camping use video). The TN30 has the second best throw of the four tri-flector lights (the other three being XTAR S1, SWM T60C, NC TM11) thus has a great balance between flood and throw. I measured lux @ 1m for L2 to be 570 which calculates to 48m beam distance but regardless of paper calculations, based on real world use, I feel L2 is perfect for general outdoors use at night.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Tim

sl33pyriceboi

Newly Enlightened
TurboBB, first off I would just like to tell you this was a great review.
I do have a question though? Out of the TN 30 and TN31 which one would you choose if you have to have just one??? And why?

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx! As for your q, those who have been following my posts for a while will know that in general I have a bias for throwers. However, for actual every day use, the floodier profile of the TN30 is much more practical so I'd have to say between the two (and in consideration of my daily uses) it'll be the TN30. I simply don't have a need for 700+ meters of throw on a daily basis. =)

sl33pyriceboi

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the fast reply I really appreciate it.

What if the new scenario was to go camping; then which would you choose.
Would you choose the TN 30 or TN 31?

I am curious if the TN31 has decent spill to aluminate the ground while hiking. My jet beam m1x (mce led) needs to be retired.

I really appreciate your replies thank you so much in advance.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still the TN30. The TN31 has AMAZING wow factor at the distance it can cover but during camping, the tight hotspot just isn't very practical for general use. I'd prefer the floodier profile of the TN30 for overall use. The TN31 has OK spill but definitely not as good as TN30.

Speaking of camping, not sure if you saw my camping thread but if not, you can check it out here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Camping-Report-(24-XM-L-lights-beamshots-vids)

Lots of beamshot comparos at the camp ground and at the beach as well as a vid of the TN30 and TN31 being used to hike around the campground.

Cheers,
Tim

sl33pyriceboi

Newly Enlightened
^WOW that was a fantastic read. Very very informative.

Last question (I promise): so I've set my eyes on the tn30. I'm about to pull the trigger (and have done the best research I possible can), but I was wondering if you had any other suggestions of lights that would perform better than the tn30 I should consider.

If not, please give me the ok and blessings and I will order away!

Thank you again mr turbobb! You are one awesome light master.

james.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx James, I'm going again in about a month so be sure to reply to that thread if there are particular shots/vids you'd like to see, etc.

In terms of what is currently available out there, and if by performance you mean raw output (lumens/throw), the TN30 is currently the brightest multi-emitter XM-L light in my arsenal and bests even a 5 x XM-L (APEX 5T6) in sheer output. While it may not be the throwiest (the S1 with its large tri-flector reigns in this regard), it's certainly no slouch. As can be seen in my beach shots, it illuminates a wide swath of the target at that 500ft distance at which point, my (aging) eyes would have a hard time making out the details of anything at that range (without the use of an optical aid).

You could always wait for the next greatest and brightest but then you'll always end up waiting since there will always be something brighter/throwier so at some point, you'd need to decide if the TN30 suits your needs. You certainly don't need my blessings to get any light you feel like but if it helps, I think it's a very solid choice in consideration of all the available options out there currently.

One thing that I've been heartened by is that ThruNite has recently improved their customer service tremendously. One need but look at their mfg subforum on CPFMP for evidence of that. While they may still be going through growing pains, they have been pretty engaged in replying to all the posts be it positive feedback or requests for assistance.

That should be taken into consideration as well in which case, it's another in favor for ThruNite. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Tim

sl33pyriceboi

Newly Enlightened
I am sold. Thank you again for all your help Tim. Awesome People like you are what makes this forum so great!

James

sl33pyriceboi

Newly Enlightened
Hi Tom, i got my TN30 today but was a bit disappointed.

the colors of the LEDs are not the same. i have two that are white and one that is REALLY REALLY yellow.

my question is: is all 3 leds on your TN30 the same color?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/sl33pyriceboi/1c96d0d0.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/sl33pyriceboi/7cb3bb93.jpg

i will be contacting lightjunction for an exchange.

Your images are too large and have been replaced with links Please resize and repost.
See Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels. - Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch, sorry to hear about that. I don't have such an issue with my sample:

While it's a bummer you'll need to ship this back, my experiences with LJ has always been positive and I'm sure they'll make things right. Good luck!

Tim

rjdriver

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I would like to know and hear about users experiences I am torn right now between this and a TM11, The thing I like about this light is the switching is simple as with the TM11 you have to press the switch part way, all the way ,stand on your head, jump up and down and you don't know what mode your in .....IMHO way more complicated than it should be.

sbbsga

Enlightened
Yes, I would like to know and hear about users experiences I am torn right now between this and a TM11, The thing I like about this light is the switching is simple as with the TM11 you have to press the switch part way, all the way ,stand on your head, jump up and down and you don't know what mode your in .....IMHO way more complicated than it should be.

Looks like you have made your decision. :)

Myster

Newly Enlightened
Great review and video
My TN 30 doesn't seem to have much of a visual difference between level 5 and level 6 (high)
Doesn't seem right to me. Any ideas
Thanks

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our eyes do not perceive light output in a linear fashion. Thus twice the output in lumens is not percevied to be twice as bright (if I'm not mistaken, it's more on the order of four times the output in order to be perceived as being twice as bright). I measured output of L6 @ 3020 and L5 @ 1830. While on paper this is an increase of 65%, again, our eyes would not perceive it to be so.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Tim

Myster

Newly Enlightened
Our eyes do not perceive light output in a linear fashion. Thus twice the output in lumens is not percevied to be twice as bright (if I'm not mistaken, it's more on the order of four times the output in order to be perceived as being twice as bright). I measured output of L6 @ 3020 and L5 @ 1830. While on paper this is an increase of 65%, again, our eyes would not perceive it to be so.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Tim

Thanks for the quick response. Makes sense after another loo

Cheers Andrew