ThruNite TN31 Review (XM-L U2 | 3 x 18650)

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would the diameter and/or depth of the reflector, relative to the emitter, influence the beam converge/diverge points?

I would think that as the starting Lux for the above rules of thumb use lux, you are using the lux you think you have, to pick a point for the lux measurement? Is that like using a word in its own definition?

Or is it like selecting a range for your DMM, where you assume it might be over 100k lux, but less than a million, and use 10 M, or maybe 10 M and then 20 M if you think its closer to 1/2 Mil, and see what you get, and so forth?

:party:

Yes, the led to reflection distance will alter the sweet spot. The rule of thumb is not perfect, but useful.
It is an improvement over putting every light at 5 meters.
Altenatively, one needs to read at two distance & see if the number agrees, if not then extend the distance & try again, that would be too much work.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx guys, runtime on L6 added now. Look at that regulation!

@woody1 - nice avatar! ;)

Wonder how deep reflector is..
I'd say it's roughly 74mm (approx. 2.9") deep, however don't quote me on that. Without taking the head apart, that's just a best guesstimate (but a pretty good one).

I unfortunately don't really have a huge inventory of throwers but I'll do my best to see what I can come up for outdoor long distance shots and video. Weather hasn't been great here these few days so hopefully I'll get to it over the weekend.

@ma_sha1/teej - I'll try taking lux at different distances and post those results when done.

EDIT: Didn't have any trouble with the RL3100's and inserting the carrier into the tube.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outdoor shots of video comparo of TN31 vs. a few other lights are now up in OP (don't forget to flip to 720P if you're going to compare beams). Sorry that it's poorly done (blurry on some lights), I'm still learning how to make vids but lessons learned from this shoot has given me ideas for improvement on the next one.

Here are the lights (DBS V2 is off to the right somewhere):
4e829b4.jpg

Timeline in the vid (I have included titles as well)
ThruNite TN31 - 1:32
XTAR S1 (prod) - 2:09
Sunwayman T40CS - 3:08
ThruNite TN30 - 4:02
Niteye EYE30 / EYE25 - 5:11 / 5:55
ThruNite TN 11 (2 x 18650) - 6:43
NITECORE TM11 - 7:19
Sunwayman V60C - 8:07
SureFire M3LT (MC-E) - 8:48
Klarus XT20 - 9:38
Lighten7 Max L2A - 10:25
Dereelight DBS V2 (w/UF XM-L) - 11:07

Distance to the fence I was shining at is 246ft (75m) and to the bleachers approx. +10-15 ft.

EDIT: I also redid the measured performance and runtime (again please refer to OP).

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Tim - thanks for the review!

2 quick questions...

What is that PVC pipe contraption thingy? :) Is that like some kind of an integrating sphere?

Could you comment on the lowest mode of the TN31? I love really low lows and I've found that usually the lowest mode has the most variance between both reality and manufactures claims and also between different units. (i.e. selfbuilt had something like a moonlight of .6 and 4 lumens between 2 differnt models of the same light on one report). What's your best of the lumens on low? Seriously below 1 lumen?

Any word on wether they will make a diffuser for this light?

Thannks!

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx KH!

@ricky - Ah yes, my PVC LMD serves as my Integrating Tube until I get my IS set up. You can read the full details here. As for the lowest mode, you can comfortably look directly into it. It's roughly comparable to say the SWM V10/V11 series but not as low as a JB TCR1 can go.

I'm still working through the review on this one and will have answers for you shortly (in which I'll measure the lowest setting).

Cheers,
Tim

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
The videos are all embedded in the review. Was there a particulare one you were looking for?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
The videos are all embedded in the review. Was there a particulare one you were looking for?

The videos work now :) Thanks for all your work! The TN31 didn't seem to throw as good as I expected. :)

I lied! I watch it over. It throws great! Have to save up for one now!

Last edited:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
All, whitewall shots now added.

@V54 - Yeah, it's actually an excellent thrower (currently my best) and sorry, that vid was not too good but TEEJ has offered to help make a new one (plus he's got the really big guns, SR90 de-domed, etc.) so we'll post that with actual lux measurements whenever I can clear up some time on the weekend.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a TN31 coming. I hope it arrives before Sat 16th June. I am hoping to bring this to the CPF meet.

Mar

Newly Enlightened
Hopefully I get mine this week, need it to locate distance objects for a contest though I do have other throwers.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi RickyP,

Didn't want to just tell you but rather show you... =o) Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Tim

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Wow Tim - thanks for the extremely thorough answer to my question!! Much appreciated!

I ended up getting one so now get to see for myself. Just before I saw your response I was comparing the lowest lows of my varapower (cu heatsink, regular head, dedomed), jetbeam rrt0 variable, Thrunite scorpion, TN31, rex photon keychain light (4 led pinch light w/rechargeable batteries) and Eagletac D25 and G25C2.

From low to high here are my "subjective visual" thoughts:

1. Varapower - of 32 settings the lowest 3 are lower than the jetbeam RRT0 varable. Don't have a trit to compare to but can't imagine it's much brighter than that.
2. Rex photon light - adjusted down to the lowest setting. Almost no hotspot - great "read in bed w/out disturbing your wife" light!
3. Jetbeam RRT0 - Not much brighter than the Rex; definately a distinction between the hotspot and spill but nothing like the TN31.
4. Thrunite Scorpion V2 w/turbohead. Still very low but WAIT... hold the press... I can explain the TN31 better now**
5. Thrunite TN31 - high lux for low lumens. Not the best read in bed light AS IS, but would be excellent with a diffuser.
6 & 7. Both Eagletacs lowest low are in a completely different category; much brighter.

** Random thought - though the varapower on lowest setting is much lower than the lowest setting on the Rex or the Jetbeam, I still can clearly see the hotspot on the ceiling 5' above me in the pitch dark (I can also easily look directly into the LED with no discomfort.) The scorpion's hotspot on firefly though is much more disting than the varapower. HOWEVER, when I take the head off the scorpion so that there is no reflecor I can see absolutely nothing, nada on the ceiling.
The lumens can't have gone down - what changed was the lux.

The TN31 @ 1/2 a lumen almost appears as bright as the Eagletac at 5 lumens. I'd love a diffuser for it as then you could have the best of both worlds. Without the diffuser, you have the intensity of a normal 5 lumen light with the runtime of .5 lumens (think enough light to hike on jungle trails in the night for 9 months!). With the diffuser I'm sure it would be a nice, soft beam!

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're welcome! As you've noticed with your expirements, the measured output at low levels doesn't really jive with the true output at the emitter. At these low levels, how far that emitter is away from the sensor makes a huge difference (even with a real IS). In this case, given the very deep reflector, the TN31's low ouput measures lower than what it's truly outputting.

All,
Designs & Features and Size & Handling sections now fleshed out.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was actually able to remove the SS bezel so I've added a bunch of new stuff about it (search 5/22). Also, here's a quick vid/tip for reinstalling it without binding the o-ring:

Cheers,
Tim

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Cool! I'm seeing if Michael at OMG lumens can make a diffuser film for it and was hoping to be able to easily remove the bezel and have the film larger than the inner diameter/smaller than the OD of it.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Went camping in RI last week and got to do long distance beamshots as well as camping use mini video review (search 6/4).

Cheers,
Tim

Latest posts