ThruNite TN31 Review (XM-L U2 | 3 x 18650)

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Instant one-handed access to strobe or output levels without the need to first depress a switch. While the control ring is reasonably firm, the switch greatly reduces the likelihood of accidental activation without needing to lock out the light.

harro

Enlightened
Hi turboBB. Watched your vid on replacing the bezel, very helpful tks. Does the lens just sit on the 'o'ring between it and the reflector? With the 'o'ring behind the bezel, is it located in a recess or groove, and is it stuck in place, or can it be removed without too many problems??
Many thanks;
Mike.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Working from the reflector onwards towards the bezel:

Reflector -> Rubber Gasket/Flange -> Lens -> O-Ring -> Bezel

The O-Ring itself should be installed around a "lip" on the underside of the bezel and you should be able to see the SS bezel itself within the inner diameter of the O-Ring as shown around the 3 o'clock position of the bezel in this pic:

Hope that answers your question but do let me know if you have more.

Cheers,
Tim

harro

Enlightened
Working from the reflector onwards towards the bezel:

Reflector -> Rubber Gasket/Flange -> Lens -> O-Ring -> Bezel

The O-Ring itself should be installed around a "lip" on the underside of the bezel and you should be able to see the SS bezel itself within the inner diameter of the O-Ring as shown around the 3 o'clock position of the bezel in this pic:

Hope that answers your question but do let me know if you have more.

Cheers,
Tim

Thankyou Tim;
What you've shown me is exactly what i was wanting to know!!
Best Regards and keep up with the informative reviews;
Many Tks;
Mike.

harro

Enlightened
Hello turboBB ( Tim );
Whilst watching your vid on reinstalling the bezel, i heard you say how difficult it was to do without the proper tool. I'm certain you would know this one, but if not, give it a go. This saves ripping skin off your hands from sharpish edges and gives you more leverage. Take an old bicycle innertube and cut out a section about 1 foot long. Slit this piece lengthways so you have a flat piece of thin rubber. You can then wrap this around bezel's, heads, tailcaps etc. Makes undoing and reinstalling heaps easier.

veedo

Newly Enlightened
Any pointers on how to clean this massive lens? I tried warm water and a little dish soap while drying with a microfiber cloth, but i still have bits of steaks that drive me nuts. I don't want to end up scratching the lens.

biglights

Enlightened
Any pointers on how to clean this massive lens? I tried warm water and a little dish soap while drying with a microfiber cloth, but i still have bits of steaks that drive me nuts. I don't want to end up scratching the lens.

I have had the best luck cleaning it when its cool. I am just using a microfiber cloth that came with my 3D glasses. I have noticed really bad streaking trying to clean it when ever it is even the slightest bit warm.

DON KIDIK

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for a great review,video ive seen a while ago,but only just read the review[almost it all].

Thanks for the time and trouble

DON...

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
how's the NW version of this that Battery Junction sells? how much decreased lumen count does one get? any decrease in lux?

turbobb your review was amazing btw!

sbbsga

Enlightened
how's the NW version of this that Battery Junction sells? how much decreased lumen count does one get? any decrease in lux?

The numbers and figures that I received from Thrunite back then were 1050 max lumens, XM-L T6, 5,500K bin.

GReaper

Newly Enlightened
Just got my TN30 and TN31 today.
However there was a problem getting the TN30 to work.
It would not light at all, only on low in all modes and maybe 1 in 10 times i reseated the battery holder, it would work as it should.

After changing batteries and battery holders between the TN30 and the TN31, i found that the problem was with the battery holder.

The voltages were ok, and only after half an hour, I found the problem.

One of the metal discs on the end of the battery holder, weren't centered, so when it is put into the flashlight, it would short circuit against the wall.
Solution was easy. Just unscrew the 3 screws and recenter the disc.
I will propably insulate the sides of the disc, using tape or paint.

Some pictures:

Before centering:

After Centering:

Latest posts