Tikka 2 XP - review.

tnuckels

Enlightened
Ozgeardo, BrightGuy still seems to have some stock of the older models: TakTikka XP, TakTikka XP Adapt, and Tikka XP HAZLOC. Standard model seems to have gone missing.

If it were me I'd jump on whatever source is close to you, or that still has stock, as I've noticed the older models drop of quite a few reseller's listings. I picked up two HAZLOCs and did the mod, just 'cause I like this old headlamp so much and dig that crazy black & yellow color scheme.

Good Luck!

zemmo

Newly Enlightened
The Tikka XP and the PT EOS are my two favorite AAA headlamps. I really like the boost mode on the XP. Last fall I was feeding my sled dog outside, and noticed some very bright green eyes off to one side. I thought it might be one of the coyotes that had attacked a couple of dogs, but with the boost mode (could not have told w/o it) and a pair of binos I was able to see that it was in fact a lynx.

On a Green River trip, we were sitting around camp on night, and, once again, saw eyeshine up the hillside. Neither I nor my buddy had decent lights--this was years ago--and we disagreed on what animal was watching our camp: he thought it was a cougar, I thought it was a ringtail. Never knew for sure, couldn't find any tracks in the morning.

So personally, a good blast of throw is very useful. I'll keep my old XP...:D

Illum

Flashaholic
A
SSC P4 emitter bin and tint unknown, glued directly to the pcb - Cooling 0 points :green:

tikka2xppcb2.jpg

they do know that overtime the LED will overheat and burn a hole on the PCB right?:thinking:

Ozgeardo

Newly Enlightened
Re: No need to rush out and buy old stocks of XP's

Whilst the new XP2 has some features I like it just does not cut the mustard against the TacTikka XP (IMHO) notably when modded with the SSCP4. I was just about to rush out and buy all the old stock XP's I could find/afford but thought I would drop Petzl a line and see what they have cooking and this is the reply I received:

Thanks for your enquiry.
At this point in time there is no change in the Tactical/ Industrial
Range of Petzl Head Torches.
With the new Tikka XP2 there is no need for a boost mode since the
maximum output is 60 lumens where the older version was 40 lumens on
boost. The new range of Tikka2 Range has no ability to change lens
however the Tikka Plus2 and the Tikka XP2 have a separate Red LED to
address some of this issue with night vision.
If you have any further questions please email me or call me on XXXXXXXXXX Cheers,
Paul Lidgard
Technical Support Manager
Australia & New Zealand

I did not have the heart to tell them that I had a "modded" XP that shames the quoted "40 lumen's" on boost. Either way it looks like we will still have stocks of the Tikka-TacTikka-Adapt etc XP's for a while to come. :thumbsup:

I love the bit about The new range of Tikka2 Range has no ability to change lens I guess they have not done a customer profile on the flashaholics around here LOL :rolleyes:

tnuckels, thanks for the link to Brightguys but there foreign shipping policies are not user friendly. (Too bad they seem alright other than that)

Woodswalker, go and get the old Tactikka XP and mod it, it is too easy and works great with NiMH.

Cheers
Ozgeardo

tnuckels

Enlightened
It would be a shame if Petzl decided to let the ADAPT system lapse with the introduction of the new models. I'd always thought ADAPT looked interesting, but didn't quite grasp just how flexible it is till I bought one. Sticky mount for your helmet, clip for your (hat, belt, waist, pocket, etc.), and a top strapped (removable) headband. Add the three (red, green, blue) filters and you're set for just about anything. One nice aspect of ADAPT I didn't realize is that the light can rotate on the attach point. Combined with tilt you have a full ½ sphere in front of you where you can aim the beam. Sweet! :rock:

Moz

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone explain what causes the beam to show two diagonal lines to be visible, going almost from the center of the beam down to the right?
You can see these lines on the beam shots of this lamps review.
I bought the Tikka XP2 and mine had the same thing.
I wrote to Petzl and got a response that it is caused by the trucks which the diffuser is gliding on - I don't think it is the case.

Kremer

Enlightened
Can anyone explain what causes the beam to show two diagonal lines to be visible, going almost from the center of the beam down to the right?
Looks like die wires to me, look at the close up of the PCB/LED above.

NYCaver

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review!

I have no idea why they wouldn't seal the body with an o-ring. It's certainly easy and effective and Princeton Tec has been doing it for a while now. So you can empty out the batteries and dry it out if you need to but if you don't get to that right away you have corrosion on the battery contacts. The whole Tikka series seems to me to be lagging behind in improvements compared to the alternatives these days. The one thing they've been consistantly offering though is modes that offer very long runtimes. That, I can appreciate.

oricum

Newly Enlightened
Anybody changed the LED/reflector/optic in XP2 to get rid of the diagonal lines ?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bit off topic, but probably not worth another thread.

My xp ended up full of sand. https://twitter.com/mkpaa/status/252660485944643584/photo/1

I'm trying to open to main part, but one of two torx screws seems to be stuck (and/or rounded). Any tips on how to open the stuck torx?

If it's like the torx screws used on folder knives it's common to use something similar to lock-tite so take the batteries out and try using a heat gun on the low setting and then try to torx.

dougie

Enlightened
It's hard to see but the photo makes it seem like the diffuser has scoring to it from the sand? Assuming that to be the case then I also assume that the lens is also potentially scored? If it is then you might be able to get rid of light score marks by using toothpaste as a cutting compound to restore it? Of course you have to get the torx screws out first but I'm sure it can be done!

mkpaa

Newly Enlightened
No tools, beside torx for internals you can take it apart by hands.

My logical thinking just wasn't enough to figure out which way each piece should be pulled/pushed. Some parts were notably tight even when putting it back together. I was worried about breaking something.

Light is in one piece and working now.

Ovu85

Newly Enlightened
Any chance to place a powerfull LED in TIKKA xp 2?
It's a great, handy headlamp but i'd need a powerfull LED.

Thanks!

Szemhazai

Enlightened
You can use SSC P4 from some newest bins available V3 - those are 140.0~ 154.0 lumens @ 350mA compared to 80.0 ~ 91.0 lumens from the T bit that was originally used there. That is the easiest option.