Tips, Tricks, share your McGuyver secrets here...

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I save bread ties and use them to tie up cables for things and if they are long enough I tie one end near transformers on the wire so they won't fall off when untied and get lost. Non black ones for black wires so you can see them.

Use T shirt bags in 5 gallon plastic buckets for liners you can pull the handle part over the sockets where the handle wires of the bucket to keep them snug.

Poster putty can be used to hold things in place and cover LED indicator lights that are blinding and is removable.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good bump.

I had some fluorescent gaffer tapes lying around, so I marked the USB input behind the TV in yellow and the HDMI inputs in green. The flashlight sitting on the bookcase next to the TV is now the finishing touch.

Living in an apartment, I also marked the outdoors plug breaker with fluorescent tape. No more wondering which one to turn off when I had my block heater plugged in. (If you live in the south, just look it up :p)

Just saw my last post from 2013 on this thread : If you get condensation in your car headlights, pull them out and put some sealer (silicone or the likes for outdoor use) around the seam that separated the front and back halves of the light assembly then let them dry out before reinstalling them. Problem solved.

Prevent headlight yellowing by putting a clear coat for plastics on them (some products do specify UV protection). I even wax my headlights to make the clear coat last longer and keep the rain off them.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Another tip: cut up strips of post it notes that will fit inside of remote control battery covers and write on them when you change the batteries. You can also put them on batteries in other devices make sure and write small so you can write several dates on it.

Cut up pieces pieces of plastic strips from packaging to slide inbetween contacts of batteries in devices you store rechargable batteries in so in case you accidentally turn them on or they have some vampiric drain the batteries won't drain.

Guitar picks make wonderful tools for several things. You can use them to help scrape stubborn stickers off things, to pry open CD cases to get the back cover art out and replace broken parts and even pry apart plastic electronic cases like remotes and such that don't have screws holding them together. Thin picks work for some things thicker ones can be used for others I have a thick pick that I've filed one edge sharper almost like a knife but the plastic won't scratch where metal will.

Some DVDs will get cloudy over the years because the plastic in the cases essentially gives off fumes that coat them. You can clean that off using microfiber cloths and rubbing alcohol. Use the highest percentage you can get for the best results not that 50% stuff and use 2 separate cloths one to rub it on with and the other to dry off the haze.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
Another tip: cut up strips of post it notes that will fit inside of remote control battery covers and write on them when you change the batteries. You can also put them on batteries in other devices make sure and write small so you can write several dates on it.

Some DVDs will get cloudy over the years because the plastic in the cases essentially gives off fumes that coat them. You can clean that off using microfiber cloths and rubbing alcohol. Use the highest percentage you can get for the best results not that 50% stuff and use 2 separate cloths one to rub it on with and the other to dry off the haze.

hmm. wondered why some of them dvds are hazey. thanks for this tip too. i use the paper note on firealarm batteries if i dont write the date on the battery itself. (remember to check your firealarm regularly, do it today, okay!?)

i do write the date on some of the lightbulbs i change too. (especially if it seems to be burning too fast, and these new fluorecent energy saving things annoy me .. super longlife my äzz)
-----
grocery plastic bags. i learned to fold them into triangles (kinda like the us flag is folded) to make them more solid and compact to store and throw into somewhere to store (box, drawer) where they are easy to pick as individual bag. (1st video i found of the idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cidF66-LXng)
----
about trashbags and plastic garbage cans.. drill a hole or two into it so there is no more suction issues when pulling the full bag out. (if it is outside.. drill one in bottom too to have a water drain hole there too) and leave a old newspaper in bottom to suck out all possible little spills and leaks. (change it sometimes too). (i tend to drop a bit of coffee in the bottom too.. makes it smell bit nicer. or baking soda if you know you are putting something stinky in there soon. (like fish) cup with little baking soda will remove odors in fridge too.

------
this also is very neat idea.. have done several to stow away in places or as little gift for diy minded people. http://edcforums.com/threads/gnarly...ti-system-using-common-household-stuff.86816/
-------

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I just came up with another tip. For earphones to tell which one is left/right get a small rubber band and attach it to one side such that it stays near the top and then you can just feel for it when you grab to put them on. On one set I used a knife to put a notch in one side that I could feel which worked ok but the rubber band is easier to notice.

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
When you need a nut to go in a place that seems impossible to reach, just crimp it on a piece of thick solder wire. Once you navigated the nut in place and the bolt grabs, the solder wire will be pushed out.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep all the used dryer sheets. Then when I wash the pet towels and bedding I throw all the used ones collected in the dryer. Makes them smell and feel real nice.