Tips, Tricks, share your McGuyver secrets here...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Today I learned a little trick for helping unclog a toilet. Pour some dishwashing liquid in the bowl and let it sit for a little while. It also helps to pour in some hot water.

BarryG

Enlightened
I used to keep a spare set of keys zip-tied to my speedometer cable. If I ever locked my keys in the car I had a spare set and nobody else new they were there. I don't think a thief is going to crawl under the car and look.....
Small waterproof match holder by Coleman at Walmart costs $1 and is a perfect way to carry 2xCR123/1x18650 spares
Get cotton balls and smear petroleum jelly on them and put in old pill bottle for camping use as firestarters, burns long enough to get kindling started

Barry

Burgess

Flashaholic
to PhotonWrangler --

That's a tip i've used for Years !
:thumbsup:

Often does the trick, withOUT needing to get the PLUNGER !

:toilet:
_

revo

Newly Enlightened
For clogged toilet i use the ole' bucket over the head technique, which consists of filling a bucket and hold it up over your head and then trying to pour it as quickly as possible without spilling to much elsewhere! The pressure created from this is so high that most clogs don't stand a chance!

The other tip that's not exactly McGuyver is to take care of your leather boots! Regularly wax and polish them and you've extended their lifetime significantly! And stay away from goretex if you're going to be out days at the time as a goretex boot takes much longer to dry out properly. And as I learned the hard way in the military, keep a spare set of socks handy and replace when the ones your carrying get very moist/wet and dry them on your backpack.

If you guys want i can upload the pictures of when I learned the pain of abrasion :)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Nail polish can double as low-strength loc-tite in a pinch. We used to keep some around the bench for this purpose. We bought the ugliest, most putrid color so it wouldn't get ripped off. :)

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flat tire on your dirt bike 15 miles from nowhere? Fill the tire with leaves & grass and ride slowly. I've done it twice!

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ we have some of this too, except we got clear because no girls here to steal it.You know, I used some "tough-as-nails" to set some GITD powder in a flashlight, worked every bit as good as epoxy, if not a little better!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Nail polish can double as low-strength loc-tite in a pinch. We used to keep some around the bench for this purpose. We bought the ugliest, most putrid color so it wouldn't get ripped off. :)
I've also repaired torn loudspeakers using nail polish, and not just little tears, but 12" guitar amp speakers that had been kicked in.

Line up the torn edges as well as possible, soak the whole seam from both sides and presto - repaired speaker.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to kill a fly easily, just wait until it lands on a flat surface (a wall or table). Shine a flashlight on it directly. The brighter the better. It will stun/blind it enough so that you can easily come up to it and swat it. No more trying to sneak up to it and swinging as fast as you can.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to kill a fly easily, just wait until it lands on a flat surface (a wall or table). Shine a flashlight on it directly. The brighter the better. It will stun/blind it enough so that you can easily come up to it and swat it. No more trying to sneak up to it and swinging as fast as you can.

Of all places to share this magical technique! and to think I've been struggling with killing flies for years with hundreds of lumens in my pockets.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

This technique works quite well with cockroaches, too.

Geoff

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I discovered another technique that also works on flies. The only problem is that it only works at night.. after the sun goes down.

Turn all the lights off on the floor you are on except for a small room.. like a half bath or small wash room or something.

Get in the room and wait. The fly will quickly enter that room. Close the door, and now you have em' contained.

Oh, make sure you brought your fly swatter with you.

mccririck

Enlightened
I discovered another technique that also works on flies. The only problem is that it only works at night.. after the sun goes down.

Turn all the lights off on the floor you are on except for a small room.. like a half bath or small wash room or something.

Get in the room and wait. The fly will quickly enter that room. Close the door, and now you have em' contained.

Oh, make sure you brought your fly swatter with you.

That's fine until it mutates...then you're in trouble!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
While on the subject:

a very efficient and quick way to kill flies when surrounded by dozens is to use spray bottle degreaser. Clean the place while clearing the bugs - yes, it works on all insects afaik.

The human way to get rid of flies is to wait till they land on you (some sugar on your shoulder can help) and then just walk out