Tips, Tricks, share your McGuyver secrets here...

Darell

Flashaholic
A spray bottle of Windex (or other light amonia solution) or rubbing alcohol can be used to knock flying insects down long enough to squash them. Set the nozzle to mist just right, and go at 'em. I only use this for flies and mosquitos - not for the buggers with big stingers. Not sure how I'd use this tip to save my life - but the WD-40 trick reminded me of it.

WD-40 isn't a great lubricant (try and find the word "lubricant" anywhere on the can even) but it is great to have around. I use it for all kinds of cleaning chores as mentioned here. Of the real cheap SOB's in the crowd (read DARELL) kerosene does everything that WD-40 does. A gallon of high-grade kerosene costs less than a small can of WD-40. I just keep some in a squirt bottle. For all intents and purposes, WD-40 IS kerosene.

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by James S:
try out any McGyverish tricks before you are trying to demonstrate them in front of anyone or use them to save your life
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">James -

But practicing them is about the LEAST McGyverish thing you could do! If you have to practice - you ain't no McGyver!

JackBlades

Enlightened
Originally posted by darell:

For all intents and purposes, WD-40 IS kerosene.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's why it's so good at insect flaming!
QuickBeam just forgot to mention the Bic lighter for the ignition source!
shocked.gif
twak.gif

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
-----If pine trees are nearby, break off needle covered branches and stuff the car full for insulation - we're talking life or death here - don't worry about the pine sap.----
Gojo or other mechanics "soap" works well to get rid of sap. anybody ever gather boughs for wreath making?

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Althought this won't save your life, it will help you lessen the chance of scratching your car. When waxing your car, apply the product the linearly, so if you do scratch your car, they will be straight lines, which are a lot harder to see than circular swirls. When drying, take the nozzle off the hose and let it run, this takes off 80% of the water, and I just pat dry with a bath towel. Patting motion further ensures you don't scratch your paint.

Any other car detailing questions just PM me.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Originally posted by JackBlades:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by darell:

For all intents and purposes, WD-40 IS kerosene.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's why it's so good at insect flaming!
QuickBeam just forgot to mention the Bic lighter for the ignition source!
shocked.gif
twak.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not that I've ever tried it,
grin.gif
but Lysol spray works way better than WD-40 as a flamethrower. WD-40 burns smokey yellow. Lysol at least used to be alcohol with a propane propellent. Works just like you think it would....
smile.gif

(A good idea NOT to let the flame travel back to the nozzel. Keep the lighter lit so it'll start there. May explode and burn you nearly to death. Danger. Warning. etc.)

PACKERBACKER

Newly Enlightened
When soldering a broken water valve or pipe, try stuffing some bread down the pipe. This will prevent the water from dripping on your joint and ruining your solder joint. When you turn the water back on the bread will disolve.

I also know how to make a good tobacco pipe out of an Army flashlight in a fix. But I havent done that in years.
wink.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another good one I just remembered. For grease or oil stains get K2R stain remover in the laundry section. Will take out olive oil, etc that detergents may leave behind that ruin the garment, but you have to use it before you wash the garment. I am also told from a reliable source that it removes the film/residue from older wooden gun stocks that have that sticky layer of oil "muck" on them.

And a quick tip for you homeowners: once every 6 months open the bottom valve on your hot water heater (pour it into a 5 gallon pail or attach a hose and run it outsite) to blow out the minerals that accumulate at the bottom - will greatly extend the life of the heater. You'd be amazed at the color of the water that first comes out - run it until it's clear.

Not exactly McG. ideas, but hopefully useful.

PhilAlex

Enlightened
I'll double what was said about WD-40. But, if you are a bachelor, you have to have a can, along with an orange extention cord, and a can of rust-oleum...

Re: Lockpicking:

When it comes to lockpicking, the most impressive means of entry are bypassing the latch, not lockpicking.

I used to work in a place with desk locks, and I could open any of them in 5 seconds, not by picking the lock, but by lifting the lower drawer OVER the sidebar, and then reaching in and lifting the sidebar for all the other drawers.

Got me some strange looks.

Other ideas:

Many Inkjet printers can be unclogged with rubbing alcohol.

When looking for the solution to any problem, look to see who REALLY has this problem, and ask what they did to solve it. Then do that.

INVISIBLE GLASS by Stoner is the world's best glass cleaner, and I've tried them all.

Carry a few rubber wedges in your luggage to keep your hotel door closed.

Windshield Wipers have a strip of metal that make excellent raw material for lockpicks and tension wrenches.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by PACKERBACKER:

I also know how to make a good tobacco pipe out of an Army flashlight in a fix. But I havent done that in years.
wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I was show once how to make a, umm, tobacco pipe out of a pair of klein pliers. Quick and easy for expediant use out on the construction site.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
One that all the old timers know: an empty .22 shell makes a great whistle - blow across the opening like you would a beer bottle to make that low pitch "hoomp" sound. You'll get a high pitch screech-like whistle.

DonL

Enlightened
Originally posted by Albany Tom:
Not that I've ever tried it,
grin.gif
but Lysol spray works way better than WD-40 as a flamethrower. WD-40 burns smokey yellow.
smile.gif

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeehaw, that watered down napalm-in-a-can is some great stuff.

We used to use a 3M spray adhesive for flying insect duty...

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by darell:
I'd like to put a plug in here for key-pad entry! How cool is that, and why doesn't everybody do it? I love it, I tell you!

I'm still trying to come up with my best McGuyver trick. I'll get back to you.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I learned my lesson with keypads when I was younger and frequented auto auctions with my father. You'd come across an older Ford of which many have keypads to open the door lock in addition to the key hole. All it takes is a look to see which numbers are most worn down and a couple minutes of trying combinations to figure it out. This experience stayed with me and I'll never consider a keypad for this very reason.

Now, thumbprint recognition...that I could live with.
smile.gif

Mark

Saaby

Flashaholic
Ah...so here comes McGuyver secret #?...change your passwords and change them often. Right now I'm in the process of changing all my passwords to "arcluxeon"
wink.gif

Rotten Ron

Newly Enlightened
Cellular and television frequencies are separated by a very narrow margin. The wide tuning range of some televisions will allow strong cellular calls to be heard on the TV sets audio. To test the idea simply connect a UHF antenna to your TV and use the remote to tune channels 70 through 83. UHF antenna should be turned vertically. Check your local laws.